Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

FP Aluminum (Copper tip) Gauntlet Rocket

From
    Banks, Oregon

Re: FP Aluminum (Copper tip) Gauntlet Rocket

Wow spend a few hours away and all goes to heck. I'm very interested add me to the list.

add me 2

From
    CA

SpideyFett,

Please put me down as interested for one gauntlet rocket. thanks.

fettpride said: View Post
    TDH -
    In an attempt to restore it's original size, measurements from C4 of the left gauntlet were not only used for scaling my own gauntlets, but also to proportion the missile to the best of our ability. Thanks to Alex (Spideyfett) were were able connect with Philip Wise (Rebelscum.com) and his personal machinist to make this happen. Again, all the details were preserved as it was painstakingly proportioned in CAD. And I reiterate that the only detail that has no digital lineage to the original missiles is the cone at the front end.
    FP
    Thanks for chiming in Chris...

and as he said We, me and Darthmiller to be exact, did a few things at C4 that probably would've got most people thrown in jail ... long story short, we got the measurements for the length and the width of the C4 AOSW gauntlet rocket...and with the help of our awesome machinest and a ton of ref photos to scale, we simply incorporated those two measurements into the FP rocket .....Again, as I stated earlier, it wasn't that complicated, as some were trying to make out to be....

Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    I think we need to keep this an 'interest' thread only...
    thanks Gav.
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Jan 2, 2009 at 10:19 PM.

so to recap...

there's a base of a cast-from-original jango. the jango was digitally scaled from boba size to jango size for the movie (sidebar: i love that jango is shorter... makes my 5 foot 9 boba so much better!).

at c4, y'all were able to measure the length and circumference of the one there, giving you numbers to scale off of.

a cad model was created off of the jango, then scaled up according to the measurements taken at c4.

did i get all that?

so it sounds to me that this is, to date, the closest to accurate that any of these will get. until someone with direct access to a screen used boba comes along with an interest thread, this is as close as we've come.

From
    S.F. Bay Area California USA

Hey Alex,
    Interested here bro! Man... the amount of money I spent here on
    TDH. I could of had two brand new cars...hehe!

stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    so to recap...

there's a base of a cast-from-original jango. the jango was digitally scaled from boba size to jango size for the movie (sidebar: i love that jango is shorter... makes my 5 foot 9 boba so much better!).

at c4, y'all were able to measure the length and circumference of the one there, giving you numbers to scale off of.

a cad model was created off of the jango, then scaled up according to the measurements taken at c4.

did i get all that?

so it sounds to me that this is, to date, the closest to accurate that any of these will get. until someone with direct access to a screen used boba comes along with an interest thread, this is as close as we've come.

99.9 %

Let's not forget, that although ultimately a Fox JF Missile first gen casting, their basis was exacting information/measurements from an ILM archived missile. This would mean Boba It is unclear from what exhibit, if it was a missile left laying around in the archives. No one knows. There is supposedly a requisition document floating around somewhere that might possibly reveal the exact source, but it has yet to surface. When they made their digital model from this information, THAT was scaled to Morrison. Then you have it from there

Another thing to add is the fact that the JF casting was not obscenely smaller. Because of all of this talk some might get the idea that we're talking drastic difference. Digitally it was 7% smaller. Or was it 9%? I don't remember, it's been a year since we did this

And one final note ... don't trust the "naysayer" telling you that FOx Australia didn't have access to an archived item of this sort. It is unequivocal that they did. That proof has been right under everyone's noses for years, and still ... few know it. From the "Buckethead" video ....

Perhaps someone can tell which ROTJ Gauntlet that is

Thanks buddy

FP
    Last edited by fettpride; Jan 3, 2009 at 2:54 AM.

From
    Orlando, FL

Pending a final price I might be interested in one.

Good stuff Chris... thanks for sharing..
    Completely forgot about that video
    fettpride said: View Post
    99.9 %

Let's not forget, that although ultimately a Fox JF Missile first gen casting, their basis was exacting information/measurements from an ILM archived missile. This would mean Boba It is unclear from what exhibit, if it was a missile left laying around in the archives. No one knows. There is supposedly a requisition document floating around somewhere that might possibly reveal the exact source, but it has yet to surface. When they made their digital model from this information, THAT was scaled to Morrison. Then you have it from there

Another thing to add is the fact that the JF casting was not obscenely smaller. Because of all of this talk some might get the idea that we're talking drastic difference. Digitally it was 7% smaller. Or was it 9%? I don't remember, it's been a year since we did this

And one final note ... don't trust the "naysayer" telling you that FOx Australia didn't have access to an archived item of this sort. It is unequivocal that they did. That proof has been right under everyone's noses for years, and still ... few know it. From the "Buckethead" video ....

Perhaps someone can tell which ROTJ Gauntlet that is

Thanks buddy

FP

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

Count me in Spidey

Have to get the FP armor and guantlets first, but you can count me interested.

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Spidey/FP, I have a question that I would like to see clarified for the board as I am being asked my opinion privately and if a few people are asking me, I assume there are more who would like to know.

What made you decide to go with copper over the more generally accepted brass?

I ask this because in your statement below you make it appear as if it is a fact that the original was copper. Is this something you have discovered to be true or something you believe based your observations of the rocket at C4? I just want to make sure we are all on the same page and that we don't end up with one person or groups perspective or interpretation being passed off as unequivicable fact as it is stated in your first post.

Spideyfett said: View Post
    Most Aluminum Rockets made to date have been based on an aluminum body and a Brass head...but none with a real copper head, as seen on the real Fett gauntlet.
    For anyone interested in purchasing one of these rockets from Spidey, don't let my questions deter you in any way... In fact, if needed, this topic might need to be broken out into its own thread but I didn't want to start a new thread initially as I didn't want it to appear that I was attacking Spidey's claims. I am not attacking. I am simply asking for clarification on the statement that the real rocket tip is copper as there seems to be a considerable amount of questions about what the real rocket was made of.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Well, i might be interested in one of these...if I am able to get a new set of gauntlets that is!! (FP )

There have been a very few Gaunt missles made from copper in the past. I had talked with PSBerreta (good pal of mine) a few years ago about the prospect of getting a copper tip rocket. I believe he made 2, and I saw one in person. They were very nice indeed, but i was always broke at the time, so did not get one from him. He has since moved away from anything Fett.

I think art has some valid questions there. Heres my thoguhts (for what they are worth )I guess I have been of the opinion that there are possibley 2 things going on with the gaunt missle....again, just my opinions/hunches here which are all base on the pics, so treat it as such.

1. I believe that at least some of the ROTJ rockets are brass. But, The ESB definately has always looked to me to be copper....There is something about it that looks different....in every shot!!!!! Now either it is made from copper, or it is made from brass, but with a patena of some kind on it to turn it a darker color. It definately does not have the common gold/yellowish color of machined brass. Now that different color can still be achieved with a brass tip. I believe it was Bobamaker that weathered one or the brass ones from one of our makers very nicely to the point where it did look kinda coppery. However, the ESB rocket tip does not look weathered at all IMO based on pics. It looks to be bare metal hot off the lathe to me...and it is darker than brass.

2. In talking with some others, (who's opinion I respect greatly,) it has been noted that copper would corrode up and turn green in a short time. Absolutley true!!!!! We have not seen any of the rockets exhibit that green corrosion on them. But...no one has seen the ESB gauntlets in 30 years either!!!!!!!! For all we know, the ESB rocket is sitting in a box somewhere buried in the archives and is completely green now!!!! !!!

So yeah, I could be completely wrong in my assumtions/opinions, but I think a copper tipped rocket would look fantastic on an ESB gaunt!!!!!!!!!
    D

ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    Spidey/FP, I have a question that I would like to see clarified for the board as I am being asked my opinion privately and if a few people are asking me, I assume there are more who would like to know.

What made you decide to go with copper over the more generally accepted brass?

I ask this because in your statement below you make it appear as if it is a fact that the original was copper. Is this something you have discovered to be true or something you believe based your observations of the rocket at C4? I just want to make sure we are all on the same page and that we don't end up with one person or groups perspective or interpretation being passed off as unequivicable fact as it is stated in your first post.

For anyone interested in purchasing one of these rockets from Spidey, don't let my questions deter you in any way... In fact, if needed, this topic might need to be broken out into its own thread but I didn't want to start a new thread initially as I didn't want it to appear that I was attacking Spidey's claims. I am not attacking. I am simply asking for clarification on the statement that the real rocket tip is copper as there seems to be a considerable amount of questions about what the real rocket was made of.
    No it's a great question Art ....and does bring up a good discussion topic.

And I honestly, as others currently do, just thought it was copper..
    Mainly because the over all "look" of the refence photos... as Brass would seem to tarnish a certain way, as does copper, and would change the overall look of the tip over time.... so I would have to say my statement was simply based on appearance only.

I personally believe it is cause I've seen it with my own eyes, or some type of copper alloy, which could explain the non corrosion... and even more so after seeing the C4 exhibit....But definately not brass. IMO.

and a side note, for the JB project gauntlet and a few others I've painted, the color of choice for the resin kits is Testors Copper.

Here is a shot Jason (darthmiller) took just as they were moving the cape back at C4....I even remember that a group of us agreed it wasn't brass...again simply based off of looks alone...
    You can even see a dent at the tip of the copper that indicates it might be something Softer than brass.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brass1-jpg   brassdent-jpg  
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Jan 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

and a side note, for the JB project gauntlet and a few others I've painted the color of choice for the resin kits is Testors Copper.
    Thats how i've done mine in the past too!! And, the one pictured above diefinately looks like copper to me. That doesn't necesarrily mean that it is...but it sure looks like it.

Great points D.

Jango's kid said: View Post
    1. I believe that at least some of the ROTJ rockets are brass. But, The ESB definately has always looked to me to be copper....There is something about it that looks different....in every shot!!!!! Now either it is made from copper, or it is made from brass, but with a patena of some kind on it to turn it a darker color. It definately does not have the common gold/yellowish color of machined brass. Now that different color can still be achieved with a brass tip. I believe it was Bobamaker that weathered one or the brass ones from one of our makers very nicely to the point where it did look kinda coppery. However, the ESB rocket tip does not look weathered at all IMO based on pics. It looks to be bare metal hot off the lathe to me...and it is darker than brass.
    D
    the previous C4 shot shows a ROTJ (AOSW exhibit) gauntlet with what seems to be a "copperish" tip....and the picture here also shows the MOM exhibit, as seen at FIDM exhibit with a ROTJ gauntlet with a "copperish" tip.....Pic below.

but you are both right, what can't be explained is the corrosion factor...that's why I think it's a copper alloy, kinda like a penny.

Jango's kid said: View Post
    Thats how i've done mine in the past too!! And, the one pictured above diefinately looks like copper to me. That doesn't necesarrily mean that it is...but it sure looks like it.
    Exactly, I think everyone I know is just tired of painting them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fidmmom1rocket-jpg  

Pennies are copper-plated zinc, not copper alloy. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.

The C4 pics definitely look like copper. To me, the dents along the edge and the one pointed out by SpideyFett look consistent with how copper would dent. Definitely wouldn't dent like that if it was brass and the dents happened while the rocket was attached to the gauntlet.

Pure copper wouldn't oxidize to green except under conditions that would probably destroy the rest of the gauntlet.

Count Dookie said: View Post
    Pennies are copper-plated zinc, not copper alloy. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.

The C4 pics definitely look like copper. To me, the dents along the edge and the one pointed out by SpideyFett look consistent with how copper would dent. Definitely wouldn't dent like that if it was brass and the dents happened while the rocket was attached to the gauntlet.

Pure copper wouldn't oxidize to green except under conditions that would probably destroy the rest of the gauntlet.
    Fantastic Info count dookie.....

We actually were thinking of a copper alloy of some type per my machinest, I guess that's why I was on that wave length, what do I know... but an alloy would be easier to work with and a little more durable....cost is what I'm mostly worried about.

Anyone ever tried anodized Aluminum to a copper finish???? that might be an option here too...no?

Anyone ever tried anodized Aluminum to a copper finish???? that might be an option here too...no?
    That's an option. To get a true copper finish on aluminum (with the ability to get that authentic tarnish), you would electroplate rather than anodize. I've never electroplated aluminum, but if it's as easy as plating brass, then it would come down to the cost of core materials vs. additional cost of plating. Because of the copper content in brass, I'd think that brass would take the plating better than aluminum, and that scratches through the copper would be less noticeable on brass.

You can anodize aluminum with a copper color, which may be cheaper than going the solid copper route. It's not going to have the same properties as copper, so you probably won't get any tarnish, so in that case there might not be any benefit over just painting it.

Count Dookie said: View Post
    That's an option. To get a true copper finish on aluminum (with the ability to get that authentic tarnish), you would electroplate rather than anodize. I've never electroplated aluminum, but if it's as easy as plating brass, then it would come down to the cost of core materials vs. additional cost of plating. Because of the copper content in brass, I'd think that brass would take the plating better than aluminum, and that scratches through the copper would be less noticeable on brass.

You can anodize aluminum with a copper color, which may be cheaper than going the solid copper route. It's not going to have the same properties as copper, so you probably won't get any tarnish, so in that case there might not be any benefit over just painting it.
    Thank you:thumbup...that is awesome...definately a ton of options I didn't even know about.

I think as long as it looks right, and cost cheap.. that would be the best way for this project....hopefully I can get something back as a Protype tip in the next couple of weeks.

From
    Spain

And what about Bronze, Spidey? It's an alloy of cooper and tin, with cooper as base and tin in proportion of 2% to 20%.

KaanE said: View Post
    And what about Bronze, Spidey? It's an alloy of cooper and tin, with cooper as base and tin in proportion of 2% to 20%.
    hmm interesting ?? honestly I haven't looked into all the options yet..

and just for the sake of the conversation...here is an ESB gauntlet shot with what seems to be a copper tip rocket, and a yellowish Brass dental expander...two completely different tones.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esbbrasstip-jpg  

From
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Pending on the final total quote, i'm interested.

From
    Spain

Thank you very much for this chunk of pic, now I can see the real calculator pad with the real colors

Just talked to the Machinest, and he is looking into a Copper Alloy....for price.