Found the whipcord parts!Subscribe
  1. 4 Weeks Ago - Jun 28, 2016, 7:01 PM - Found the whipcord parts! #1

4 bucks at the hardware store. I think it looks pretty spot on. I'll be molding and casting this little beauty for my kit.20160628_185645-jpg
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    4 Weeks Ago - Jun 28, 2016, 10:19 PM - Re: Found the whipcord parts! #2

If you want to mold and cast them in resin, go ahead. I just did 2 real ones like that on my own gauntlet. Metal doesn't chip like resin can. LOL
    4 Weeks Ago - Jun 29, 2016, 12:26 AM - Re: Found the whipcord parts! #3

Quote Mr Fett said: View Post
    If you want to mold and cast them in resin, go ahead. I just did 2 real ones like that on my own gauntlet. Metal doesn't chip like resin can. LOL
    That is what I did as well. If you look at this shot from the Magic of Myth exhibit (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/galle...t-costume.html) you can see the hex portion of the flare nut is longer than the one here, the same problem I had with my "found part". I trimmed the base with a cut-off wheel and wrapped the hex portion with tape, made a small cylinder to keep the center clear, and filled the space with JB Weld to extend them. I think they turned out looking closer to the original:

gauntlet-jpg

When I was putting these together, I thought the actual sizes are mismatched (they don't really screw together), and you may want to get a larger coupler to match the original.
  5. 4 Weeks Ago - Jun 29, 2016, 8:31 AM - Re: Found the whipcord parts! #4

Very true sir! I'm always just horribly paranoid something bad will happen to my originals. Hence the copies of everything!
  6. 4 Weeks Ago - Jun 29, 2016, 6:03 PM - Re: Found the whipcord parts! #5

Quote dv8r said: View Post
    That is what I did as well. If you look at this shot from the Magic of Myth exhibit (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/galle...t-costume.html) you can see the hex portion of the flare nut is longer than the one here, the same problem I had with my "found part". I trimmed the base with a cut-off wheel and wrapped the hex portion with tape, made a small cylinder to keep the center clear, and filled the space with JB Weld to extend them. I think they turned out looking closer to the original:

gauntlet-jpg

When I was putting these together, I thought the actual sizes are mismatched (they don't really screw together), and you may want to get a larger coupler to match the original.
    I can't believe I overlooked that detail! It will be a much easier fix with the resin part. Thanks for pointing it out!
  7. 4 Weeks Ago - Jun 29, 2016, 6:06 PM - Re: Found the whipcord parts! #6

20160629_180451-jpg
    First pull. Needs a little tweaking, But otherwise successful!