Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 5, 2009, 7:56 PM - FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #1

Hi all,

I have been real busy as of late. I think I have a very good lead that might help us find a part that has never been officially ''found''.

My source had a discussion with Jeremy Bulloch a few years ago and while talking to him he has found out that the missile part was constantly breaking and was fragile. It seems that part was actually not custom machined but really, like many other costumes or decors in Star Wars, a model kit part. While I cannot say exactly from which model kit it came from, I have a good reason to believe that it came from a Helicopter Model Kit. In fact, I can even venture farther and say that it was a missile pod from a russian MI-24 HIND helicopter. I have not calculated the scale but it might also be from a RC helicopter...

Here are a few pics for comparison :

The real deal russian MI-24 HIND helicopter :

From a RC helicopter :

I believe that it would be possible to find the real part with some help from the community. I also understand that the part might have been altered so that might be a small bump in the road.
    Feb 5, 2009, 8:22 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #2

I believe a 1/36 model Hind Helicopter Missle pod is the exact size I would check Tamiya or Model Masters.
  3. Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Feb 5, 2009, 8:24 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #3

The MI-24 HIND first flew in 1969 so that is a possibility.
    Feb 5, 2009, 8:28 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #4

Excellent! This makes much sense since LFL has a history back then of making props from found items like model kits instead of taking the expense to have parts machined. Hopefully a group effort will come about to locate the exact authentic parts.
    Feb 5, 2009, 8:31 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #5

It had 4 prototypes that were shown in 1961, its first flights were in 1966, I am sure this was what he used as his insperation.
  6. Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Feb 5, 2009, 8:35 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #6

Feb 5, 2009, 8:48 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #7

For this model you might want to see if you can find the Mi-24 A, because if you look the model Mi-24 D has a tip at the end of the rocket pod, this allowed air to cool the pods down when they fired numerous rounds, you are going to want to see if you can find a Mi-24 A model kit which had a rounded missle pod.
  8. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Feb 5, 2009, 8:59 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #8

I think you guys are really on to something!!
    Feb 5, 2009, 9:02 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #9

By brother-in-law runs a hobby shop. He mostly deals with trains, but if we can find a better lead of the exact model he might be able to track one down.
    Feb 5, 2009, 9:11 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #10

awesome!!!! cool info!!
    Feb 5, 2009, 10:24 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #11

wow, that seems like a REALLY solid lead. i can't wait to see what you geniuses come up with next!!!
    Feb 5, 2009, 10:53 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #12

I have been keeping a close eye on this thread. I am excited to see if you guys can find something. Good luck!
  13. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Feb 5, 2009, 10:57 PM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #13

I am with you in regard to the overall look of the piece matching up the Hind rocket bay... however, in a recent development, the original machinist and drawings were found, which fairly conclusively shows the rocket was custom machined, as described in Mark Harris' update sheets. I have seen the drawings with my own eyes so this isn't just random heresay. If not for that, I would be in total agreement that you guys were on to something.
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Feb 6, 2009, 2:25 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #14

This sure seems like a eureka moment!

But I'm sure you're all looking at the same stuff I am, and nothing seems to quite match.

It could be a fighter model too, this guy looks real close:

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/su22lk_1.htm
    http://www.rbs.ru/vttv/99/firms/appl...fsf/b8m1-f.htm

but there aren't enough holes on this B-8M1 rocket pod.

The other rocket pod on the HIND might be a UB-32-73A (or just UB-32) with the air-cooling "tubes" on the front. Those could have been sliced off for the gauntlet missile, but that would leave 5 holes possibly, and there are definitely more than that on the first row on the nose.

It sure does seem like a model rocket pod is involved somehow. Inspiration if nothing else. It's just such a weird thing to machine from scratch.
    Last edited by Darth Larch; Feb 6, 2009 at 2:38 AM.
  15. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Feb 6, 2009, 4:12 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #15

That pic there looks dead on to the rocket. However, Art brings up a good point.
    Feb 6, 2009, 6:38 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #16

It could be possible that due to the "model" piece breaking, that they decided to go ahead and machine one to match it. That M1-24 looks aweful close.
    Feb 6, 2009, 7:20 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #17

This new info from Simon Fett's source seems mutually exclusive to Art's info; meaning that they can't both be true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mark Harris update sheets were from Pre-production right? So the idea that it started out as a model kitbash piece but was later changed to a machined part doesn't seem to make sense if you follow the timeline of the creation of the costume. I'm not saying it couldn't have happened that way, stranger things have happened, but it doesn't seem to add up. I would have to say that something like one of these model pieces was at least the inspiration for the machined piece, but I am not sure that it was ever actually used as part of the costume. Before Art added his bit of info I sure would have thought this was on the right track, and it still might be...Who knows for sure...
  18. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Feb 6, 2009, 8:01 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #18

Quote never_ending_fett said: View Post
    I would have to say that something like one of these model pieces was at least the inspiration for the machined piece, but I am not sure that it was ever actually used as part of the costume. Before Art added his bit of info I sure would have thought this was on the right track, and it still might be...Who knows for sure...
    I think this is right on track. The Hind was a fairly new/impressive/devastating machine at the time, so I would not be surprised that the rocket pod may have inspired the look of Boba's wrist rocket. I will try to bring more info on this as I can, but at the moment I am somewhat limited due to the current owner. I can only tell you that they did machine it and they did make custom drawings, clearly showing the rocket we all know and love. I am not trying to be crytic... I just don't want you guys going on a wild goose chase and spending great amounts of time on something that does appear to have been custom machined.
    Feb 6, 2009, 8:06 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #19

Too bad the Apache wasnt out then. At least its a better Helo.
    Feb 6, 2009, 8:46 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #20

If this was indeed the inspiration for the Boba rocket, then perhaps the whole thing was never intended to be a rocket, but a mini rocket bay just like the real deal. Of course that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but forever there has been the debate of calling it a laser or rocket or missle or something else. Maybe in the SW universe it was supposed to fire mini rockets or projectiles.
    Feb 6, 2009, 9:08 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #21

Can someone tell me why the Vader and Fett communities have a love-affair with keeping information sacred and scarce?

I understand "honor amongst theives" and so forth, but nobody purchased or bought anything from LFL or has signed some clandestine contract with a black-ops prop group for information regarding the prop world.

Just because a prop or a drawing or a set photo is rare, doesnt mean it cant be shared? This happens on the RPF, the Vader forums and most other forums. Someone wants to hold on to information - for what reason?

Is Lucas going to send out Gino and the boys to cut off your hand if you show a picture of David Prowse having the Vader helmet put on his head? Or of some "worm" indentation on a tube of the Vader face-mask that is off 1mm and you have pics to prove it? Now this?

It always leaves a sour taste in my mouth when a hobby and something for fun gets turned into "I know something you dont know" instead of show and tell.

Art, please, this is in no way a personal attack, I am not naming you. I am questioning the community at large why we do this type of behavior?
    Feb 6, 2009, 9:10 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #22

Ive always been curious as to why that is also.
    Feb 6, 2009, 9:10 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #23

Quote ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    I am with you in regard to the overall look of the piece matching up the Hind rocket bay... however, in a recent development, the original machinist and drawings were found, which fairly conclusively shows the rocket was custom machined, as described in Mark Harris' update sheets. I have seen the drawings with my own eyes so this isn't just random heresay. If not for that, I would be in total agreement that you guys were on to something.
    If the original machinist plans and drawings were found, why would we even doubt which material was used? Even you seemed to doubt that it was custom machined in copper when fettpride and spideyfett got their new missile out.
  24. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Feb 6, 2009, 9:10 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #24

wait... wait... I think I am on to something.... In the initial post, Simon Fett said Jeremy stated that the rocket kept breaking... and we know that is true, because we SEE a broken rocket in the stunt scenes! The body is there but the head is gone! So, while I stand by the info I posted above in regard to the piece being machined, I didn't want to be dismissive of Simon's work or Jeremy's word... so I went back and looked and check out what I found thanks to a super clear image the Got Maul took at CIV.

Check the photo below and then read on...

So... is anyone else seeing the RED PLASTIC that is seen on the Fett stunt cod, the Fett stunt helmets and Leia's bikini?!? I would argue that at least THIS rocket tip is not metal at all (I do think the back part and the aluminum tip are metal). Maybe only one or a few masters were made and they were too heavy so they went to a plastic casting. Either way, I am pretty convinced this one is the same red plastic we see elsewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocket_tip.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	31576  
    Feb 6, 2009, 9:13 AM - Re: FOUND PART ? Gauntlet missile #25

Quote CGClone said: View Post
    Can someone tell me why the Vader and Fett communities have a love-affair with keeping information sacred and scarce?

I understand "honor amongst theives" and so forth, but nobody purchased or bought anything from LFL or has signed some clandestine contract with a black-ops prop group for information regarding the prop world.

Just because a prop or a drawing or a set photo is rare, doesnt mean it cant be shared? This happens on the RPF, the Vader forums and most other forums. Someone wants to hold on to information - for what reason?

Is Lucas going to send out Gino and the boys to cut off your hand if you show a picture of David Prowse having the Vader helmet put on his head? Or of some "worm" indentation on a tube of the Vader face-mask that is off 1mm and you have pics to prove it? Now this?

It always leaves a sour taste in my mouth when a hobby and something for fun gets turned into "I know something you dont know" instead of show and tell.

Art, please, this is in no way a personal attack, I am not naming you. I am questioning the community at large why we do this type of behavior?

I cant speak for all instances, but in this one, Art did say it was due to the current owner. If someone does in fact own the drawings, then it really is ultimately up to them. It may not seem right, but its that persons prerogative.

Im sure if Art is ever allowed to share them they would be on the board as soon as he could get them here.