Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 24, 2012, 5:56 PM - First Boba Build #1

Hi, UnFathomable here. Just recently got permission to start a new thread. I recently bought a cheap rubies Boba helmet kind of low quality but it was my motivation (plan to make a new one eventually) I was so excited when I saw it that I knew I needed to buy it. Owning this helmet brought along the idea to make a full suit of armor. After little research I knew this was the place to go. Once I jumped on and browsed some threads I realized how expensive this will be. I am currently a Senior in high school and don't have the time or transportation for a job...

So despite that, what are some really cheap solutions to get me started on this project? Armor, materials, specific paint colors, cheap alternative material, anything that's not too money consuming will help. I can afford a little here and there but not much. I have already printed and cut the proper armor stencils for the torso Any help is much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121024_153415.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	64761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121024_153441.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	64760  
    Last edited by UnFathomable; Oct 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM.
    Oct 24, 2012, 7:52 PM - First Boba Build #2

Theres some good threads here for trashcan armour made from sterelite trash cans. Im using sintra sheets to make mine wich are cheap easy to mold and can be used to make anything with pvc cement. Either way ive learnt theres no such thing as a true " budget build"!! This passion is time consuming and buying paints and materials cost enough on thier own. There are so many elements that go into the fett its what makes him so great but watch out if your not prepared it can hit you how much even the cheapest suit can run! Good luck!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app
    Oct 24, 2012, 8:29 PM - Re: First Boba Build #3

Hey thanks! I'm not necessarily on a full on budget build I'm just trying to pass some time on the project by doing the least expensive parts of it. And how big is a sheet of sintra And how much does it cost to get enough for a full suit?
    Oct 24, 2012, 8:55 PM - Re: First Boba Build #4

Quote joshsurf said: View Post
    Theres some good threads here for trashcan armour made from sterelite trash cans. Im using sintra sheets to make mine wich are cheap easy to mold and can be used to make anything with pvc cement. Either way ive learnt theres no such thing as a true " budget build"!! This passion is time consuming and buying paints and materials cost enough on thier own. There are so many elements that go into the fett its what makes him so great but watch out if your not prepared it can hit you how much even the cheapest suit can run! Good luck!
    Hey thanks! I'm not necessarily on a full on budget build I'm just trying to pass some time on the project by doing the least expensive parts of it. And how big is a sheet of sintra And how much does it cost to get enough for a full suit?
    Oct 24, 2012, 11:31 PM - Re: First Boba Build #5

My trash can armor was definitly good practice, it turned out ok and might have looked a bit better if I didn't use rattle cans but I a lot of trouble making the back plate so I abandoned it. Still a good idea but not for me. RKD armour was way too tempting(and still is!). Good luck buddy!
    Oct 25, 2012, 1:06 AM - First Boba Build #6

I dint know how much sintra is in the states im based in new zealand. Yeah im with you there hobbit if i didnt have a kid on the way RKDs armour is way to tempting!
    Oct 25, 2012, 11:36 PM - Re: First Boba Build #7

I dint know how much sintra is in the states im based in new zealand. Yeah im with you there hobbit if i didnt have a kid on the way RKDs armour is way to tempting!
    Well I decided for my first build I will do a garbage bin to practice and get a concept of How its all gonna fit and how to paint it so I dont put a set of rkd armor to shame.
    Oct 26, 2012, 2:03 PM - Re: First Boba Build #8

Can't wait to see it, good luck!
    I'm a senior in highschool too! check out my build!
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/d...41/#post588416
    Oct 27, 2012, 1:01 PM - Re: First Boba Build #9

Quote danakin245 said: View Post
    Can't wait to see it, good luck!
    I'm a senior in highschool too! check out my build!
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/d...41/#post588416
    Haha I just got the materials yesterday do make some garbage bin armor. So I will post pictures of the materials and of the plates once they are cut out. Unfortunately I do not have a job so I cant afford much.
    Oct 27, 2012, 1:07 PM - Re: First Boba Build #10

Got materials for my bin build yesterday! I will post progress pictures
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121027_102900.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	65007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121027_102935.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	65006
    Oct 27, 2012, 1:26 PM - Re: First Boba Build #11

Quote hobbit057 said: View Post
    My trash can armor was definitly good practice, it turned out ok and might have looked a bit better if I didn't use rattle cans but I a lot of trouble making the back plate so I abandoned it. Still a good idea but not for me. RKD armour was way too tempting(and still is!). Good luck buddy!
    How did you weather your bin armor? I remember reading something about hair gel but the technique is still unclear.
    Oct 27, 2012, 1:45 PM - Re: First Boba Build #12

If you have time for a job and make sure your grades are good work at McDonalds you will get any hours you want and you will afford this stuff in no time
    Oct 27, 2012, 3:48 PM - Re: First Boba Build #13

Quote UnFathomable said: View Post
    How did you weather your bin armor? I remember reading something about hair gel but the technique is still unclear.
    dents can be added with a heat gun if you have access to one of those if not go and buy a cheap one. i can pick them up here for $20 so they must be even cheaper over there! TRUST ME THEY BECOME INVALUABLE! good when you need to reshape a section thats not sitting right or you wanna add a dent or damage. as for the painting use the topical method if you want to save time and money thats where you put down the base colors and then add the weathering and scratches after with a brush. rafalworks on here has amazing painting templates that i used for my bucket. for the extra dirty look i used a brush and powdered artists pastel for final weathering (carbon scoring etc) then put a clear coat down over it
    check my hasbro mod build to see
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/m...21/#post584520
    Oct 27, 2012, 3:53 PM - Re: First Boba Build #14

If you have time for a job and make sure your grades are good work at McDonalds you will get any hours you want and you will afford this stuff in no time
    Unfortunately I live far from the nearest hive of scum and villainy and do not have my license yet but next year I will be able to get a job so I can start buying these things.
    Oct 27, 2012, 5:23 PM - Re: First Boba Build #15

It seems silly now but I did use hair gel, I've also heard of toothpaste and mustard... But I think they said the latter discolours. The technique is the same as the norm here. And I added the damage to the armour by heating up a knife on the gas cook top and melting it. Pretty amateurish hey?!
    Oct 28, 2012, 1:50 AM - Re: First Boba Build #16

rafalworks on here has amazing painting templates that i used for my bucket.
    Thanks for the kind works! Altough on the templates I put "Rafal Works", on the forums I use the RafalFett username. I mention this so you don't search for 'RafalWorks' but for 'RafalFett'. Most of my stencils are linked to these sticky threads:
    Helmet stencils and decals==> All Boba Fett Helmet Stencils and Templates
    Armor stencils and decals==> All Boba Fett Armor Stencils and Templates and All Boba Fett Chest And Shoulder Decals
    Oct 28, 2012, 11:52 AM - Re: First Boba Build #17

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    Thanks for the kind works! Altough on the templates I put "Rafal Works", on the forums I use the RafalFett username. I mention this so you don't search for 'RafalWorks' but for 'RafalFett'. Most of my stencils are linked to these sticky threads:
    Helmet stencils and decals==> All Boba Fett Helmet Stencils and Templates
    Armor stencils and decals==> All Boba Fett Armor Stencils and Templates and All Boba Fett Chest And Shoulder Decals
    It seems silly now but I did use hair gel, I've also heard of toothpaste and mustard... But I think they said the latter discolours. The technique is the same as the norm here. And I added the damage to the armour by heating up a knife on the gas cook top and melting it. Pretty amateurish hey?!
    Hey thanks a lot! I will have to check out those stencils. And how does this hair gel method work?
    Oct 28, 2012, 5:04 PM - Re: First Boba Build #18

Hey thanks a lot! I will have to check out those stencils. And how does this hair gel method work?
    Hey dude! I started with primer and working with Rafa's stupendous stencils!
    Then spray metallic silver.....Then mark the stencils with carbon paper underneath, Then put on your masking fluid (hair gel etc, But if you want better results than I got on my bin armour... I would recommend Humbrol Maskol or some other proper masking fluid)to mask out the bits you want to stay silver, then spray yellow, then mask off the bits you want to keep yellow, then spray green and then mist with a matt black... then peel off all the masking and spray again with matt black (misting). Inbetween each layer super light sanding, and if you want a more accurate paint job peel off the masking on every layer. Hope this helps!
    Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 PM - Re: First Boba Build #19

Hope this helps!
    Thanks again hobbit! Never thought I would be getting advice from the down under! Haha I am in the process of cutting everything up and was wondering what you used to cut the armor. I have been using a razor blade so far it just doesn't let me get a very good grip on it so it wears out my hand pretty quick. I have a dremel but not sure how well that would work.
    Oct 29, 2012, 2:35 PM - First Boba Build #20

Dremel all the way!
    Oct 29, 2012, 4:00 PM - Re: First Boba Build #21

Dremel all the way!
    Awesome what attachment would you use? I was thinking a thick piece of paper like a notecard or something cut into a circle on the thing with the screw in it would go through it nice at high rpm. what do you think?
    Oct 29, 2012, 9:24 PM - Re: First Boba Build #22

Hi just finished cutting the rest of the torso and gluing the chest medallion since I made it with two parts.
    I cut the ab-plate and medallion with a dremel and the left and right chest plates with a razor blade.\
    Here's what they look like...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121029_185907.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	65090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121029_185839.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	65091
    Oct 30, 2012, 12:43 AM - Re: First Boba Build #23

Wow, really makes me want to try my hand at a trash can armor! Sand the edges to get that authentic edge the armor has you know what I mean? otherwise great!
    Oct 30, 2012, 3:04 PM - Re: First Boba Build #24

Wow, really makes me want to try my hand at a trash can armor! Sand the edges to get that authentic edge the armor has you know what I mean? otherwise great!
    Hey Thanks! Yeah once I have everything cut out I'm gonna clean it all up, I started using a dremel after using a razor on the chest plates because it was just going to slow.
    Oct 30, 2012, 4:56 PM - Re: First Boba Build #25

Hey Bro, Looks fantastic! Brings back some memories... I scored the whole thing with a blade... I must like to do things the hard way! That and I didn't have a dremel.