First attempt at armour

From
    Norwich UK

First attempt at armour

Hi ppl

well here is my first attempt at the armour. I'm not sure what is wrong with it except i'm just not happy with it. Critism is more than welcome to help me put it right.

I have yet to weather it and dullcote it, and the collar and sholders still need painting.

please help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d3d7e073-e12e-c83c-6614acb802daa65c-jpg  

From
    Same planet as you, in a country that is below sea-level... the Nether-realm.. Oh wait.. Netherlands

Re: First attempt at armour

I think you could try some brighter green washes and black washes on it, then smack on the decal, put something black behind the chest light openings en weather it up with spray cans... actually... I think you'll have a killer set then, cause it allready looks good now!!

so change that thumb too

From
    Yakima, Wa.

I agree with RBF, it looks great, but needs misting. Looks alot better than my first set.

From
    Norwich UK

RBF said:
    I think you could try some brighter green washes and black washes on it, then smack on the decal, put something black behind the chest light openings en weather it up with spray cans... actually... I think you'll have a killer set then, cause it allready looks good now!!

so change that thumb too
    What a cool idea. I had intended to weather it with just black washes, but an additional brighter green wash would really give it the 'just been around the galaxy' look. Thanks

Do you think i have gone to mad on the damage? Others that i have looked at seem to have less scratches and dings, may be that is where i have gone wrong.

Just an additional note, i made the stuff from an old wheelie bin (as you can see from the sholders and collar
    Last edited by Ronin677; Mar 7, 2006 at 5:29 AM.

From
    Norwich UK

Mods - just realised I posted this in the wrong forum, any chance of moving it to Armor???

From
    Same planet as you, in a country that is below sea-level... the Nether-realm.. Oh wait.. Netherlands

well it looks great!!

I believe Boba Fett's 2 dents on the left chest plate are about the biggest spots, but if you are going with costum weathering, who cares.

nobody is going to notice outside of TDH anyways weither it's custom or accurate I mean.

From
    Norwich UK

Cheers RBF, i value your coments as i know you have produced some stunning pieces of work.

I plan to weather and modify the chest plates tonight.

From
    Central Upstate NY

I think it looks like pretty good armor. Are you doing a custom mando? I only ask because of the dark vest. I wasn't happy with my first attempt. I tried to mix my own paint and I didn't use any ref pics for the damage. I ended up using the US med green and ref pics, now I'm much happier.

From
    Norwich UK

I am going for an ESB fett but have built a pre-pro vest. I used Tamiya Olive Green for the armor with Yellow Green for the weathering.

From
    Norwich UK

Arrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Right i am not even going to post pics of my armour yet, as i might just throw it out of a b1oody window.

I have repainted it 3 times now and just can't get the weathering right (well i am not happy with it).

Has anyone else had to repaint and repaint and repaint till it comes right?

This is really stressing me out

but i am not a stress person so i will try again.

Jon mate dont give up keep it up youll get there!!!!

I just stripped back my first paint job on my BM armour to start a repaint tomorrow!!!! I know its a frustrating process but paitence pays off!!!

Good luck!!!!

Drop us a PM if you need a hand with anything??

Regards,

Al

From
    Norwich UK

Cheers Al

i think i might strip the right breast plate again tonight and repaint. Its a real pain though as that is the one with the emblem (hand painted) and it always looks great until i mess the weathering up.

Still tomorrow is another day

PS the bucket will be ready soon, and i will ship ASAP.

From
    North Bay, Ontario

Just an idea.... paint your armor AND a small extra piece.
    When you get to the weathering try it on your extra piece first and if it works do it on your armor. If it doesn't work you just have to redo your extra piece.

From
    Norwich UK

Excalibur said:
    Just an idea.... paint your armor AND a small extra piece.
    When you get to the weathering try it on your extra piece first and if it works do it on your armor. If it doesn't work you just have to redo your extra piece.
    Simple but brilliant

Hey! Shoot me your email address and I can send you the chest emblem. I recreated it as vector artwork in Adobe Illustrator! You can print it out on a color printer, apply some clear mate vinyl over the top, trim around the decal, weather it up just how you want (do it as many times as you want) and then finally spray the back with some spray adhesive and appy! Presto you have one dead on chest emblem minus all the head aches! Let me know!

THX