Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 7, 2015, 3:53 PM - First armor fitting - need feedback #1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (10).JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	436.5 KB 
ID:	84706 My first fitting with my homemade armor. Whattya think? Too big?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (10).JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	516.0 KB 
ID:	84705  
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 7, 2015, 8:56 PM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #2

Looks a little big to me but it could just be the photo.
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 7, 2015, 9:05 PM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #3

The armor does look a little big and could help with some reshaping with a heat gun to curve better with your chest.
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 8, 2015, 12:34 AM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #4

Quote rnbuda said: View Post
    The armor does look a little big and could help with some reshaping with a heat gun to curve better with your chest.
    Yeah, more shaping is definitely on the to do list. Just wanted to make sure I dialed in the size before I got too involved in that part.
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 8, 2015, 1:47 AM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #5

Yes, it looks a bit big on you, especially that you haven't put the collar plate on, which has almost no room there. Did you used the WOF large templates? You should try the medium templates to see if it fits you better. You can trace the medium size template on the current shape to not waste material. Keep us posted with your progress!
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 8, 2015, 4:08 PM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #6

I would size it down to medium. And go with Rafal's templates, they're much more accurate
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 9, 2015, 10:42 AM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #7

Thanks everyone. I did use the WoF templates, but I must have suffered a printer error. Subsequent reprints have been more accurate sizes. I also spent a solid hour or two on the belt sander grinding it down and getting covered in white plastic dust. (good times) I will post updated pics when I do a bit more shaping.
  8. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 9, 2015, 11:44 AM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #8

Yeah, a good place to start is get the collar and backplate figured out and then add the chest plates. The collar defines where the chest plates sit and the backplate can change how the collar sits. So it sometimes works better to do these two pieces first and then move to the chest and belly plates. Not as fancy and showy as the chest but the end results can be much better.
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 9, 2015, 3:13 PM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #9

^^^^ That's really good advice dude
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    3 Weeks Ago - Feb 9, 2015, 3:26 PM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #10

Quote Psicorp7 said: View Post
    Yeah, a good place to start is get the collar and backplate figured out and then add the chest plates. The collar defines where the chest plates sit and the backplate can change how the collar sits. So it sometimes works better to do these two pieces first and then move to the chest and belly plates. Not as fancy and showy as the chest but the end results can be much better.
    Ugh. I was dreading having to do the back plate since I'm hand shaping it and that is one of the largest pieces.
  11. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 13, 2015, 4:28 PM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #11

Decided to go with RF's templates for the back and collar pieces. Hopefully it will integrate with the WoF chest pieces. Any advice on hand shaping the back piece would be greatly appreciated.
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 15, 2015, 7:20 PM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #12

This is killing me. Clearly it needs to bend in two different directions, both horizontally and vertically. When I bend it horizontally, it straightens out vertically. When I bend it vertically it straightens out horizontally. I didn't seem to have this problem so much on the smaller chest pieces. Anybody know how to do this without a form to bend it over?
  13. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 16, 2015, 12:23 AM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #13

Having a buck to form over really helps. Even a crude buck will help out greatly. You can also make a template out of wood or layers of reinforced cardboard (fiberglass resin) to sandwich the part in between. That way, once it is warmed up, you can press the part between the buck and the template and let it cool to hold its shape. You can also look at making strategic cuts in the sintra to relieve the pressure and then gluing the parts together (pepakura technique). Once glued the cut can be backed with fiberglass mat and then the edge smoothed out and covered with bondo to make it disappear. Both methods take time but not much money. If you have not downloaded Pep Designer and the Fett Pep files I would suggest doing this to get the feel for how the part needs to bend and twist to get the compound curves. Good luck! I built my first two suits in Sintra. It can be done. It just takes a learning curve to get the feel for how the material behaves.
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 16, 2015, 3:42 PM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #14

Quote Psicorp7 said: View Post
    Having a buck to form over really helps.
    I have a duct tape mannequin that I've been using as a reference. Unfortunately it doesn't react well to hot plastic. I wonder if there is some material to heat-protect it or some easy way to convert it to a usable buck.
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 17, 2015, 1:34 AM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #15

Quote hamsandwich72 said: View Post
    I have a duct tape mannequin that I've been using as a reference. Unfortunately it doesn't react well to hot plastic. I wonder if there is some material to heat-protect it or some easy way to convert it to a usable buck.
    Here is a thread by SPY007 regarding the back plate ==> http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/b...afalfett+armor.
  16. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    2 Weeks Ago - Feb 17, 2015, 8:55 AM - Re: First armor fitting - need feedback #16

You can also cover the duct tape dummy with a damp towel. This will help cool the template down and protect the dummy. The relief cuts really help with the backplate to get the compound curves.