Finally made accurate JP Straps

Finally made accurate JP Straps

I finally found some canvas strap that was the right width, I just needed to dye it to the correct colour. I couldn't find the metal loops with the correct dimensions so I sourced some D Rings that were very close and re-shaped them using two pairs of pliers. For the metal studs I used a couple of galvanised nails, pushed them through the strap, cut off the excess shaft, dropped on a small washer and mushroomed the nail (like a rivet) over the washer using a hammer.

I made two of these straps and have sewn them to my harness, I'm very pleased with the results.

Are there any other members going down this route for attaching the JP?

DAZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bm_strap_compare-jpg  

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

Re: Finally made accurate JP Straps

I always wondered why, not a lot of ppl did this, i plan to do this once i get my JP.

can't wait to see your finished fett.

From
    Pottsville PA

Looks more than adequate to my amateur eye.

-x

From
    UK

Nice work BM, your finished Fett is gonna look wicked! :thumbup

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

On my ESB and ROTJ jet packs I've used straps with locking d-rings. The packs have bent brackets that hang in the d-rings.

Next I will install a bracket at the bottom of the jet packs to rest on a belt too. Otherwise the brackets rub on the backplate and scratch it up pretty bad.

Mind you, my setup and skills are no-where near yours Bobamaker.

BTW, I referred about 20 people or so to your website at the C4 TD booth this last weekend. I basically said you provided a very high quality product that you paint as well for those that want an already completed suit or just need parts.

From
    Michigan

Excellent work, Bobamaker. Any pics of your harness by itself with your new strapping installed?

From
    Newport News, VA

Looks great, DAZ! Very true to the original.

i've been REALLY leaning in that direction... i'm just nervous about the pack coming off if someone whacks me.

From
    Corpus Christi, TEXAS

Im sticking with the plastic clips but I like what you did.

From
    Michigan

It's been known to happen. I think the first Boba to make the accurate harness was Bobafettish and I remember hearing a story of him being at a con and it did get bumped and the jet pack crashed to the ground. Yikes.

i've been trying to think of a way to make it look like i used straps and rings, but actually use something more secure. i've got the silver coat on my current pack and i'm ready to start painting. so i have a few more days to sort it out before its ready to wear.

From
    Massachusetts

Don't do it Brian... you don't want that thing hitting the floor.

Sorry DAZ, your's looks beautiful but I wouldn't risk wearing it like that in public. For a mannequin display it'd be great but anything beyond that is taking a huge risk IMO.

From
    St. Catharines, ON

Hmmm I dunno Bob, I think the way the original is attached would be secure as anything. I have similar straps coming off my harness, and on my jet pack I just have two hooks. I haven't bent some aluminum to make the accurate hook-type things as the real pack has, but I can't see it being too risky to do it that way. Depending on how you do your harness, if the belt around the waist isn't attached directly to the pack to keep it secure, the pack should hook onto the harness near the bottom so it won't move. Mine's lasted me a good five years now and it hasn't fallen once

I couldn't agree more, I wouldn't dream of attaching my jet pack this way if I were to troop in my costume. Luckily, it's gonna stay on my mannequin, safe and sound.

DAZ

webchief said: View Post
    Don't do it Brian... you don't want that thing hitting the floor.

Sorry DAZ, your's looks beautiful but I wouldn't risk wearing it like that in public. For a mannequin display it'd be great but anything beyond that is taking a huge risk IMO.

Thanks for the heads up at C4, I've already had a few emails

DAZ

MandalorFett said: View Post
    On my ESB and ROTJ jet packs I've used straps with locking d-rings. The packs have bent brackets that hang in the d-rings.

Next I will install a bracket at the bottom of the jet packs to rest on a belt too. Otherwise the brackets rub on the backplate and scratch it up pretty bad.

Mind you, my setup and skills are no-where near yours Bobamaker.

BTW, I referred about 20 people or so to your website at the C4 TD booth this last weekend. I basically said you provided a very high quality product that you paint as well for those that want an already completed suit or just need parts.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

bobamaker said: View Post
    Thanks for the heads up at C4, I've already had a few emails

DAZ
    You're welcome, I admire your work very much.

I really think the same that Jango_Fett_Jr...

I mean, if it's holding on those hooks.. aND also attached on the waist with the straps and belt... what's the problem ?? the waist straps will prevent it from moving up-down... so, the jp wont fall... We just need to think on the movie... he used it a lot in moved scenes, and it worked perfectly, I dont see a problem . I will use the screen accurate system as well the used one is always the best (from my honest point of view, off course :P )

Great work Daz.

Hey Ben

They way I interprate this picture is that It appears the lower clips do not stop the JP from lifting up, they just hold it tight to the body, I've made the lower clips on my JP this way.

DAZ

Benkenove said: View Post
    I really think the same that Jango_Fett_Jr...

I mean, if it's holding on those hooks.. aND also attached on the waist with the straps and belt... what's the problem ?? the waist straps will prevent it from moving up-down... so, the jp wont fall... We just need to think on the movie... he used it a lot in moved scenes, and it worked perfectly, I dont see a problem . I will use the screen accurate system as well the used one is always the best (from my honest point of view, off course :P )

Great work Daz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jp_clips-jpg  

From
    Muskegon, Michigan

I like your mod Daz!