Fiberglass Jet Pack Build

Fiberglass Jet Pack Build

Just sharing a build option. I used the WOF plans and made several card board molds that I layered fiber glass/resin into. I used a release that allowed for most of the card board to easily peel off. I then assembled with fiberglass to build my jet pack. Plenty of Bondo needed. I detailed some of the parts builds in other threads. This is not an easy build, but here are some images. I made all the aluminum parts too. The stabilizer was made in part from a cheap Exato knife. The beacon was aluminum rod I shaped with with files as it turned in a drill press.

bottomcaps-jpgcapmolds-jpgcardboardmold-jpgdetails-jpgnearcompletion-jpgparts-jpgpulls-jpgring-jpga

Re: Fiberglass Jet Pack Build

And a couple more images. This thing looked really sloppy in the early stages. I had to cut out the long rectangular shape on the back as it was a bit off on one end. It still needs more paint and weathering.glassingcaps-jpgmold2-jpgbodyglassed-jpgfittingbottomcaps-jpg
    Last edited by SPY007; Jan 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

From
    Northeast U.S.A

I like how this came out. I've never seen a build like this before. I bet its pretty light?

I also like how your stabilizer came out! Show us some more shots of the beacon!

From
    NSW Australia

Great work mate. It is amazing to see how well this turned out with that method.

From
    outerbanks of North Carolina

Nice Work!! I'm doing a similar project and just about to start glassing it...what type of release agent did you use? how much did this weigh when you finished?

ObxFett. The pack weighs about 6 lbs. I The "release agent" I used was actually Mink oil. Vasaline would likely work too. I have gotten some very dismissive comments from other replicators, but this technique is very inexpensive...and works. I have used it to restore a number of actual screen used props. If I have any trouble peeling off the card board- (I use 8.5X 11 backer board from Kinkos) - I just get the card board wet. It softens up and and can be scraped off. It is not always a perfect part, but Bondo grabs on to the fiberglass. The cardboard molds need to be re-inforced. Fiberglass can warp as it cures.

From
    Northeast U.S.A

Hey if works... that's all that matters! Its a great looking pack. Good luck with it!

SPY007 said: View Post
    ObxFett. The pack weighs about 6 lbs. I The "release agent" I used was actually Mink oil. Vasaline would likely work too. I have gotten some very dismissive comments from other replicators, but this technique is very inexpensive...and works. I have used it to restore a number of actual screen used props. If I have any trouble peeling off the card board- (I use 8.5X 11 backer board from Kinkos) - I just get the card board wet. It softens up and and can be scraped off. It is not always a perfect part, but Bondo grabs on to the fiberglass. The cardboard molds need to be re-inforced. Fiberglass can warp as it cures.

As requested. Based on the WOF template. The beacon was made by putting a 6 inch length of 5/8 inch aluminum rod in a drill press and using round and flat files to shape it while it turned. Once I got the basic shape, I switched to sand paper , then steel wool. After cutting to length, I center punched each end and drilled half way in from each end, so the bit wouldn’t go through crooked on either end. I used a dremel disc to start the little vents, then finished with a small drill like grinding bit. I drilled the bottom out a little larger and JB Welded in a hollow, threaded lamp fixture rod. Eventually I will cap it and add a light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beacon-jpg   beacon2-jpg  
    Last edited by SPY007; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

From
    Northeast U.S.A

Amazing job on the beacon!

Thanks. I will post pics if the finished pack, but I don't expect to work on again till spring.

jetpackjan813-jpgStill needs some weathering, but here are the latest pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

I just used a computer cable part for the dental screw.jetpackcujan813-jpg

From
    Northeast U.S.A

Great work!

Thank Clonecollector. I am painting my helmet right now. I used the same build technique.

From
    Galati, Romania

That jetpack looks excellent! Keep up the great work!

From
    New South Wales, Australia

Jeeper creepers that is amazing!!! Incredible build and paint up!! WOW!

Seated the adjustments plugs deeper. Here is my helmet and right gauntlet, both fiberglass. I used WOFs templates for both, but modified each a lot for more accuracy. I cut the helmet up and reworked it with Rafal Fett's templates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fettparts-jpg   thrusterdetail-jpg  

From
    Limerick, PA

Fantastic work, absolutely fantastic. You should be very proud.

Thanks Matty Matt. I am very happy with it. Still a WIP, but I have a lot done. The helmet needs more weathering and dull coat. Too vibrant and and shiny.

From
    Argentina

thats cool