FettPride V3 / SR V1 Rubber Knee Signup

From
    Northern Illinois, U.S.A

Re: FettPride V3 / SR V1 Rubber Knee Signup

Hey Stormrider...

This isn't an order or a request, I just wanted to say thank you. What you're doing is just awesome, and I know that when I open my box, I'll definately be saying, "sweet." I'm sure it's way difficult right now, but dude, you're awesome, and what you're doing for Pam and Chris is just purely wonderful. I'll be glad to have my knees have FP on them. Keep up the good work, my friend!

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

UPDATE:
    First 12 orders are shipping today, well 11, rangerchets waiting on darts, but is boxed and ready to go.

The good news is the next 10 get a pm today. Going to be 'dartless' as the darts are proving difficult. If anyone in the first 10 sees this before I send pms' and wants to change to dartless thats fine. I can also do a run of just darts, for 10 shipped later on to anyone that bought knees if people would rather get the knees sooner than later.

The bad news is the reason I mention this. The molds getting tired. Its a little tacky. Its still pulling good copies, but its starting to stick. Ill probably get another 5-15 out of it. Which means ill either have to make a new mold or the run will get cut short.

I apologize for this. The silicone im using just isnt holding up, even though its almost 2x as expensive as smoothon. Im going to meet with the company today. FP has given me some ideas to extend the life, and ill be trying them today.

PM Me this morning if your in the first 20 and want to remove your dart order, and order later. Im actually going to pm the dart guys on this list right now, and ask if they want to order without the darts.

I may order some Tin cure silicone from smoothon to finish up the list, but its another $300 + 20 hours and it will be a real test for me(

Dont fret until I have spoken to alumilite today. I still have 4 gallons of rubber!

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

PM'ing the next 3 on the list.

Alumilite gave me oils and a new release to revitalize it. We will see what happens.

Darts are _still_ getting worked on. I hate darts. Did i mention that?

Ill try a dart pull tonight to test how well the new mold makes the masters.

If no bubbles. Ill pour 9 for new molds and get this show on the road.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Shipping Updated.

I dont recall but what is in there to anchor the darts? As for Fettpride sent out the insert to place behind the dart holes to secure them...or should we use our inserts if we have them? Or is it solid rubber in those areas?

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Its solid rubber. And its as hard as car tire rubber. You cant bend that part. You should be able to anchor them in and they wont come out. You can make the area bigger with a dremel. I enlarged a set for someone by almost 4 mm, and it came out really smooth. YOu just have to be careful.

If you use a drill bit to enlarge it. Make sure its sharp and fresh, or youll leave a frayed edge.

The darts Im making will have a stepped down nub you can counter sink. to glue to.
    The master is in silicone now. If it works out. ill run a couple more out, and have darts by thurs/friday

From
    Nashville, TN

If there isn't going to be another run, I would love to take a "second". I'm sure your seconds are still top notch as I am wholly satisfied w/ the helmet interiors. If you a set w/ or w/o darts doesn't really matter. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    And thanks for your work.

yeah, I'll be keeping my eyes open for the seconds too if you're retiring these molds

formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    From
    Manchester, England

Payment sent, cheers Mike, doing a great job!

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

The new release agent is making it alot better. Im pretty confident ill make it through the run. I just cant 'heat' the mold anymore, which means 2 sets a night, 4 on weekends instad of 3 a night and 8 on weekends. But we will get through it

Going to be going through paypal receipts today and sending whats paid for. Unless your waiting on darts or MQ's. The MQ's are a day or so away still.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Well. Chris wanted so I did. Verdict. Thats up to you guys

those definitely look nice! still not particularly keen on the topical weathering, but i've got to say... that makes the notion pretty tempting

From
    Richmond VA

Makes the most sense to me, for the material it just seems so practical. Looks excellent.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

There was a (justified) concern the dents and details were washed out. At least these allow you to see the details I donno. Its wierd to open the mold and have a yellow knee looking at you.

They take a TUN of time to get the color right. Not something I find fun to do at all

These would have to be a special order. I just did them for chris really.

From
    God's Country (Oklahoma)

I WANT!!!!! They look great brother!!!! PERFECT!!!!

From
    Richmond VA

The more I look, the more I like... how special are we talking?

From
    A small farm in Queen Creek, AZ

Wow, I don't know how I've missed this thread. Realizing that the list is now "Closed" if any spots open up, I would like to be one of the "Stragelers" that could get in on these.

From
    Tomah, WI stationed at Fort McCoy

Wow, those did turn out nice! You would have to decide what you wanted to do in the way of weathering them with regard to the work involved in casting. I guess it comes down to the decision to do spot weathering or build it up. A balance of time and energy for both arguments.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Bout 15-20 bucks more kinda special It takes me 30 minutes of adding and stirring to get it the right color. You have to mix it FULLY each time you add a drop. Too much the rubber gets jacked up. Too little its transparent. Its a slow, tricky process.

Plus I have to buy orange and yellow dye (3 bucks worth of yellow and a dab of orange) for each pair. And if i get it wrong. well. Seconds anyone

The rotj id have to use more orange. Ive never seen a pair in person.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Also, you then cant repair the small defects in the mold at all. The seap line becomes a problem (though you can barely see it at all in yellow).

But tiny bubbles around the dart openings cant be fixed as easily either. Thats a spot that tiny bubbles happen some times. The size of a stick pin usually.

Im not trying to _discourage_ anyone. Im just trying to point out the + / -.

Heh, Heh. Told you guys they'd look amazing like that

I know that ppl don't seem to dig the whole topical thing anymore. Even though it's accurate in a lot of cases, I won't even try to debate it. BUT,
    the fact is in this case, it affords the end user a virtually worry free set of knees. With a correct cast base color, light misting of weathering and silver / cream detail will take a LONG time to ever wear off because of the flex of the rubber, as opposed to a fully multi layered paint up (which will inevitably fall off after a wearing or two if you're lucky, even with a latex base.)

The whole "FP" theory from years ago was, while other's are repainting their knees weekly from the flex of the rubber, owners of these knees would have that time free for other things much more fun Never getting around to it for one reason or another was unfortunate - but Mike has shown that it is completely reasonable, and quite remarkable. Thank you brother for all your hard work

Christian (MoW) was the only maker that attempted this at some point last year I believe. I'm not exactly sure why he stopped making them. But with a refined process this could be a new standard for "trooping" applications.

Great Job !

FP

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks FP. I only dissagree that I dont think the paint will crack/peel if you use the parma paint *wink*

Im telling you, that stuff BONDS. I guess ill have to do a flexem up test and take some pics tonight.

I have some yellow I think, ill do a quick mask job for you guys. but DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE POOR JOB ON THE PAINT! OR ELSE! heh.And im gonna use a pair of 'seconds' that didnt cure well.

So youll see some bumbs in them. The good ones dont have that.

From
    Roanoke, TX

Here Here FP! Well said. When trooping in your suit you always want worry free. Its exciting to see a new element of a costume that will be exactly that.

And great job on the Yellow Stormrider! That color looks fantastic!

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks evan. Its not fun And your racing the clock vs the cure

You can get it close with mixing to side a. but when you add b. it changes, and you have to adjust. and fast. so its lik e25 minutes of tinkering with the yellow/orange, mix. 5 minutes of RACING THE CLOCK.

Kinda stressfull but fun, in a rubiks cube that will cut your fingers off if you dont solve it kind of way

I think these will be more durable paint wise, as long as they use the parma paints than you believe. im gonna go do some pics though. back shortly.

Thanks Justin

Mike, just make sure you give a fair and unbiassed analysis - you got to do a primer coat, silver coat, and two yellow coats (one yellow, and a mist of the orange) to be fair, then of course there is the weathering That's how most paint them. That's a lot of layers for rubber. My hunch is, if you get that much paint on it (and typically ppl may not apply light mist coats as their layer, but heavier instead) that it may be too much and get the dried river bed effect when flexed. It's not so bad when rubber is used for an object like a missile, or say darts. But the knees really take a flex beating.

I agree that the silver paint coating you showed me was pretty stout. But it was an ultra thin coating too. And when torqued, you could still see the paint giving away to stress. But yes, that paint grips better than I've seen anything else.

I know what you're up to ... you just don't want to pull them in yellow because they're a pain I'd be feeling the same way, I'm just kidding with you.

Also, to streamline your process - make a recipe. Make a note of how many drops you add to part "A" before mixing. Then keep track of how many drops you add to part "B" to even it out when you're mixing (or visa versa, which ever part you're dying first). Then you know you can pre dye both part "A" and part "B" before you mix. Or even easier, dye is dye no matter which half you're putting it in. So add up all of the drops, and apply them to part "A" before you mix with "B". The outcome should be exactly the same in the end.

FP
    Last edited by fettpride; Oct 17, 2008 at 2:30 AM.