Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

FettPride V3 / SR V1 Rubber Knee Signup

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Re: FettPride V3 / SR V1 Rubber Knee Signup

ColdCast Try 1:

The powder coat cold cast shows through in some spots. They look like jango knees actually. Once fully whiped, i dont knowhow much this will show through. This is with a brief whipe down with no water. Its not difficult. But it takes a lot longer, and theres more product for me to 'purchase'.

What do you think. Worth it?

I dont know how well paint will stick.

NOTE: From 10 inches you can see the blemish mark on the left size of the picture knee. From the 3 foot picture you cant see it.

From
    Limerick, Ireland

Id like some please whichever version - with darts - no hurry

From
    Roanoke, TX

I used this technique when I did a run of rubber spear tips for "300" spears and have found that hard urethane resin grabs the powder far better then the rubber dose for some reason and it dose eventually rub off almost completely with the rubber pieces. One thing that works well is an acrylic based silver paint. Airbrush or rattle can it in the mold and allow it 20 minutes to dry. Then pour your mold. The rubber will bond to it no problem.

From
    Roanoke, TX

If you feel comfortable doing so you can remove the problem area by very carefully trimming the silicone inside the mold with a scalpel but I wouldn't use an exacto. From the pics and reading your post it sounds like if you were to look into the mold in the area in question there would be a very thin raised area where part of your model separated. Trim that off and your problem is solved.

Stormrider said: View Post
    Ok, The good news and bad news thus far.

Heres a pic of the good and the bad. Heres the first full pull tonight. Came out great. From 2 feet away its perfect.

However when you get up close, theres a spot on the dart launcher rear that has a seep line. What this means is that the model came un-sealed when i removed my mount. Some silicone got under it. A paper thin sheet. So you have essencially a paper thin gap in the rubber. Third picture.

I didnt see this on my first pull, because I didnt use enough rubber to fully pull that side of the mold So the top was just missing. Its also on an undercut so on initial clean up, id idnt see it. Today I saw part of it, but didnt know how far it went till I got home.

I still give these an 8.5 - 9 right out of the mold. But they arent 10's.

Anyone thats made a mold of this magnitude knows that you rarely get perfect.

The problem here is the mold has to be 'hot' when you pour the rubber. Or it wont cure properly. So I had to make it a big block mold.

A 4 gallon block mold. Which cost $649for just the silicone from alumilite. Im telling you thyis because if it was a 10 dollar mold. Id remake it. Even a hundred dollar mold. But I cant remake a 600 dollar mold:/

That being said examine the pictures and if you want off the list, pm me. I personally cant see the line from 2 feet away.

PLEASE SIGN ME UP for a set with darts!

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks evan, Thanks alot. Ill get a scalpal from work tomorrow and attempt to clean a little of it up, if it goes well, ill do the whole thing.

I work at a hospital and I have very steady hands, so it shouldnt be bad. I just never thought of it.

And thanks for the info on the acrylic paint. I tried that once before. It made a mess and was hard to clean out of the mold. After ive run off 10-20 sets, ill try that and see if i can get some good silver pulls.

Thanks a million. Your help is always appreciated evan.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

I should have 3 sets of knees to go out tomorrow.

1 jet black. 1 has some 'residual silver' on it from the cold cast, and this other set should be jet black again.

I need to make sure first. The darts arent ready yet. Im trying the best way to do them so the dart included kits will be a week out or so. I apologize for the wait. I dont want to send darts that suck. I hope you understand.

That being said, if your in the first list, and you dont mind getting a set of knees with a slight 'silver' tint to them, PM me. Ill bump you up and get you the paypal addy and yours may get shipped tomorrow!

Im not going to fully trim them. The trimming can be done EASILY with any small scissors. Grooming scissors are the best (small with curved blades).

I figured you could be as precise or as quick as you wanted.

They will be rough trimmed. Remember the parting line is on the INSIDE edge of the knee, So you shouldnt see much of a parting line even if you do it like a tasmanian devil.

Thanks
    Mason

From
    Tomah, WI stationed at Fort McCoy

Stormrider, I personally don't mind the residuals, but that being said, I'm not in a hurry to get these as I won't be able to use them for a while. I also read about the painting into the mold and wouldn't mind my set being the test for it. Experiment away!

Chris

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

I'm in absolutely no hurry for these knees either, so make sure to get everyone else out of the way before me!

From

SR-PM replied to and PP sent.

From
    Wales, UK

How have I missed this until now??!! I'm defenitely up for a set once I have some funds!! They look awesome!

Plus it's going to a great cause so I'll PM when I'm in a better position.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Ok, this paint:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCY20

BONDS HARDCORE to this rubber. Im assuming the over colors, bond too. This is my secret weapon for all things resin and rubber.

There the secrets fully outta the bag
    http://users.sisna.com/hcamper/16/misc/pacr262.jpg
    Heres a variety of colors. From flourescent to bright yellow. you dont want millenium yellow, its very orange, like lexus/corvette orange.
    http://www.rcplanet.com/Pactra_RC_Le...ducts_s/90.htm
    And for your airbrush only users.
    http://www.scaleauto.com/misc/pactra.htm
    Last edited by Stormrider; Oct 10, 2008 at 10:51 AM.

From
    UK

Hey M,
    The pic not showing for me?

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Not sure why. the first link, is the page that image is from

Mike, you're a stand up guy. I just don't know what to say. But I can say that it looks like you're doing an outstanding job bringing these to life. Thank you my friend, for everything.

FP

From
    God's Country (Oklahoma)

I'm in. Congrats on the progress

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Ok time to run some more of these out. While im pouring them ill work on the darts. Try to get that show on the road.

PMs going out this weekend. First 10 on list not wanting darts. Ill get them packaged and sent monday. I may get to first 20, but not positive until i see how many sets I can put out tomorrow.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Ok Decision time.

Darts Orderers: Need your input.

So, heres the scoop. The darts I can do a bunch of different things.

The problem is how many of you have tools to do the job mounting them.

Options.
    The knees have a recess for darts. The base of the recess is NOT SMOOTH ON PURPOSE to give the glue something to bite too. Now the options for mounting it is:

Dart with a protrusion. A nub at the butt of the dart, to allow it to 'insert like a lego' into the knee, and be glued. Can be taken off by you. Will need to carefully drill a sink hole into the knee.

The dart can be 1/3 of an inch LONGER at the last section. So if you want to sink it more. for a more secure fit you can. But again, will need a drill bit. And know what your doing.

Dart can be perfect length no nub. Will just glue flat. Ill try one later to see how tough it is.

Darts can be hard black resin. Or hard black rubber. The rubber. with rub and buff. really looks like metal. The grain of the dart makes it look real.

The protrusion is useless on a rubber dart really. Well maybe not, not sure.

The protrusion can always be taken off.

My thought is the protrusion be threaded to stop it from sliding. As long as you countersink it deep enough. The darts butt will rest flat inside the hole, and it should be snug and secure.

Ill glue and rip apart a knee tonight to see what works well. But ultimately id like your input.

The rubber is hard at the dart holder. You cant flex it at all. So anything you mount/drill in is going to be hard. So much that a hole, some glue, and a bolt shouldnt come out. But tonight. ill try that with a scrap knee, see how much damage it can take.

From

I guess I'd prefer it with a protrusion. As you have already indicated it can be removed if needed. If a different set of darts are used, such as aluminum, they will need to be drilled and mounted anyway. Simply put, it offers more flexibility for the person mounting them. Rubber would keep continuity in the material and still have the flexibilty that we are looking for with this project. If it's simpler to continue that way I say stick with it. If the person getting darts wants a different type later they can upgrade with resin or aluminum.
    Last edited by RangerChet; Oct 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

^^ Thanks Rangerchet. Im glad you see it the same way I do. I super glued a rubber dart in today. That thing is ROCK SOLID in there. It bonds rock solid. and its really stable. Rubber may be the way to go. The only problem is there will be some tiny bubbles in them. Not very big. About the size of a needle. But I inspect everything so close. I notice.

Im going to pour a set of black rubber darts, rub and buff them and get them mounted so you guys can see what i mean.

Ill need to pour 4 perfect darts, Then glue on the protrusion. Then make the mold. Actually about 3 molds, so I can do them 12 at a time. I dont want to spend all day pouring them. The rubber takes a long time to cure especially when in mall quantities.

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

Im all for the protrusion. I concur with Rangerchet.

From
    Amity

count me in for a set with darts!

From
    Banks, Oregon

I also want a set w/ darts. They look fantastic and I love the fact the money going to a great cause.

From
    Orange County, CA

I'm in for a set with darts. I'm in no hurry.

Yvette

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Im going to be stopping the run at 40 for now. Reason being I need to re-assess the shape and wear on the mold and make sure that all the knees arrive at their destinations etc.

I can do a small run after that if need be to finish up any stragglers.

I have 9 sets done. 1 is cold cast. one has a slight silver tint to it because it was done right aver the cold cast. I think madmartigan may want to try the cold cast. The one with the 'hue' will paint fine. I just dont want to send it to someone that it will bother. Worse comes to worse I can use it for my own. Actually maybe ill paint it up today (Im NO MASTER PAINTER) and make sure the paint sticks as well as I think it does.

Im going to send pms today to the first 10-15 on the list requesting NO DARTS with a paypal addy.

Im going to work on these all week and get out hopefully the first 20, and get the dart packages started. I leave for georgia for the weekend thursday, to help my mother. So next weekend will be a dead space in the process. I apologize in advance.

Again if yoU NEED THESE FOR HALLOWEEN I NEED TO KNOW ASAP.

Thanks again for making this so successfull.

And keep your thoughts on Chris and Pam.