Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 10, 2004, 6:50 PM - FettLight sale (see last post) #1

Just wondering something:

I've seen a couple of other mfr's for chest lights lately, and they've received pretty long lists of interested buyers. The set I designed has been around for nearly 3 years now, and I still get the occasional e-mail/PM asking for help to build them (since I offered up the schematics for DIYers), as well as questions about ordering a set from me. Honestly, with the creation of the new light sets from others, I figured demand for mine would die down to the point where I couldn't justify having more boards etched.

Now, the question is this ... are there enough people still interested in the "ShackMan chest lights" to do another batch run? I dropped the price to $90 plus shipping a while back, to finish off the few boards I had left. Now that I'm down to one or two boards, I've been receiving e-mails about them again. If I did a bulk run, and offered them for say $80 + shipping, how many would be interested? Again, this is to gauge interest only. Due to unemployment, I can't front money for parts or board manufacturing like I used to. I'm just checking to see if there are enough interested in "this old set" (at a reduced price) to justify having more made.

Thanks,

ATM
    ShackMan

P.S. Special thanks to all those who have purchased the lights over the past 3 years! Until you design/sell a part, you can't describe the feeling of seeing your work being displayed by others (such as at cons).
    Sep 10, 2004, 6:59 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #2

Right now, I too am "unemployed" , BUT am interested in a set.
    That is a great price ($80 + Ship)
    Sep 10, 2004, 7:47 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #3

which style did yours flash as shackman? ESB or the DP?
    LMK

interested though but probably in a month or 2. Wifey is off work currently unfortunately

dan
  4. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Sep 10, 2004, 7:53 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #4

Jedi-Bob wrote:

That is a great price ($80 + Ship)
    Alot of that going around.
    Add me to the unemployed/ can't afford any toys list.

Sep 10, 2004, 8:21 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #5

At 80+ shipping I would be down for a set, even with all the new guys out there I just can't hear enough good things about yours. So put my name on the list for sure.
    Sep 10, 2004, 8:59 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #6

I need a set before halloween, but I cant afford it untill the end of sept.
  7. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 11, 2004, 12:08 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #7

The sad thing is that I'm not surprised to hear about how many others are effected by the unemployment bug ... not a good thing, but one I'm all too familiar with.

Well, maybe what I should do is hold off on a run until the very beginning of October then? I can usually knock out a handful of them in just a couple of days, so the time frame wouldn't be a problem ... just have to order the boards and parts in time.

ATM
    ShackMan
  8. Sep 11, 2004, 4:40 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #8

I'll prob make a set, from an old score board or something.
    Sep 11, 2004, 5:49 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #9

I'm interested in a set.
  10. Sep 11, 2004, 6:56 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #10

How'd you make/get yours??
  11. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 11, 2004, 7:39 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #11

Not sure, but was that question directed toward me? If so, I designed it with the help of Brak's and a few other members of this board ... oh, about 3 years ago (3 years in November actually). Several people were wanting something better than the bike flashers and such, some were willing to watch the ESB scenes in slow motion, or help in other ways. What we ended up with is the FettLights as offered in complete form, or based on my schematic for the DIYers.

Good luck,

ATM
  12. Sep 11, 2004, 8:18 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #12

- um, why does Boba have those lights any way?...?
    Sep 12, 2004, 2:37 AM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #13

some rumors say its a form of currancy, like republic credit related.
    Sep 12, 2004, 11:33 AM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #14

I always thought it was some type of status indicator like damage or strength or something like that.

Shackman - you KNOW I'm in for a set. Hopefully I'll have new chest armor ready when they arrive!

Sep 12, 2004, 12:24 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #15

Hey Bob, view this link... http://johnandfelicity.home.comcast.net/armor.avi <--it is an AVI file - to see my TK-409 style chest display. I can make you one if you want. PM me if interested. I have 3.

Jedi-Bob wrote:

That is a great price (&#36;80 + Ship)
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2003
    Sep 12, 2004, 6:08 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #16

Shack, if your's are ESB, put me down for a set.
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 13, 2004, 4:03 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #17

Slave2112 wrote:

Shack, if your's are ESB, put me down for a set.
    Hmmm ... for those that don't know which set we're talking about (miss the days when there was only one set ), here's the link:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/bbt/e..._animation.htm

Brak's Buddy was gracious enough to not only help develop the product (sequencing, size, etc), but to also host the site with all of my info. Here's another big thanks to the guy!

ATM
    ShackMan
  18. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 13, 2004, 4:09 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #18

Just wanted to answer a question I've received a few times lately.

One (if not both) of the other new chest lights offers the ability to change from "ESB" to DP display. I've been asked if my display is changeable, and the answer is yes, to a degree. The lower display (alpha-numeric characters) are controlled by a programmed micro, like the new displays being offered. Instead of programming more than one sequence into the chip, I designed it so that the display could be changed by replacing the chip. Again, this is an old design, used for nearly 3 years. I looked into doing other display sequences, but there was never enough demand ... or so it seemed). So if I continue to produce the lights,could I make it switchable all without having to swap chips? The answer is yes, but I'd need to change the board layout, which unfortunately means I have to wait until I can front the money to prototype it (never trust a first run batch of boards).

Hope that answers it for a few people. I don't see there being a high demand for 3 or more products that do the same thing, but can I make mine do the trick ... if there's demand for it, sure.

ATM
    ShackMan
  19. Member Since
    Nov 2003
    Sep 13, 2004, 11:38 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #19

That graphic is dang-near close enough for me. Won't need the switch myself.

Again, keep me in mind if you are going to make another run (or have one laying around).

Thanks!
    Sep 14, 2004, 3:00 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #20

Yea I also have no need for a switch, since ESB is the only one we see that is the only one for me.
  21. Sep 14, 2004, 6:05 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #21

I always thought the lights were like how many bounties he's collected or something.
    Sep 14, 2004, 6:32 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #22

These are my lights for my white Mandolorian chest armor (not painted yet). It is just a .gif file...

I made it for &#36;8.00. Looks soooooo crappy. wink!
  23. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 22, 2004, 3:35 PM - Re: Demand for chest lights? #23

EDIT: I've had a person or two point out that they were waiting for an updated post, so I thought I'd do just that. As stated in the original posting here, I've decided to put the FettLights on-sale, and can get them to you before Halloween of ordered early enough. Of course, I can't say I can do it up until the last few days before, because it would be impossible if SEVERAL people all waited until the last minute.

If you're in the US, total is &#36;85 shipped. Outside the US, make it &#36;87. I can accept MOs at my home address (contact me for that), or PayPal at this address: wild_wire@yahoo.com.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Several members have expressed interest in another "run" through this thread or by e-mail. I don't have a firm number for a "run" like I'd suggested; however, because these have been offered on an ongoing basis for so long, I'd like to show my thanks to the group in some way. I offered up discount coupons for DragonCon, but that only benefitted a couple of people. So, here's what I'll do for everyone else interested.

With Halloween coming up fast, I know some of you are trying to finish up (or modify) your armor SOON. So I'd like to go ahead and extend the offer I mentioned previously:

The chest lights are on sale for a limited time at &#36;80 + shipping (total is &#36;85 within the US). These are the same lights I've sold for years at &#36;105 shipped, but will put them on a "Halloween special" if you will.

Because I can't front the money for board etching like normal, the first few orders will be done pretty quickly (since I have a few boards left). Any boards after that will have to be ordered, and paid for with the first payments I receive ... which only adds about another week anyway. Again, this price is good from now until Halloween. But keep in mind that if you don't order one more than a week or so before Halloween, you'll probably be out of luck due to time.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/bbt/e..._animation.htm

(Thanks again to Brak's, for hosting that site).

If anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail or PM me.
    Thanks,

ATM
    ShackMan
    Oct 3, 2004, 4:16 PM - Re: FettLight sale (see last post) #24

PM sent
  25. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Oct 3, 2004, 11:10 PM - Re: FettLight sale (see last post) #25

PMs returned.

ATM