Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 28, 2009, 4:55 PM - Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #1

Let's start with the LEDs of the display itself.

From reference photos we can be pretty certain that the Top consists of 20 red vertical rectangular LEDs that are grouped in five sets of four. Now, whether the top 20 LEDs are 20 individual rectangular LEDs isn't clear, however what we can conclude it that it isn't 5 horizontal rectangular LEDs (see animation). However I believe that the Top is a 20 LED lightbar that looks like this

For the Bottom there are 5 red Digit LEDs. Each Digit is made up of Seven rectangular bars that flash ON and OFF individually. The digits have what appears to be a 10 degree angle to them giving them an italic look to them.

Also note that the last Digit on the Bottom is partially covered up by the armor.

Using the above image and scaling it to the dimensions of the 20 LED lightbar (also above), the chest slots for the display should look something like this

Now, lets move on to ESB
    The Top sequence is pretty much 100% conclusive being displayed in this animation provided by Art Andrews. This sequence can clearly be seen in ESB during the Carbon Chamber scene.

While the flashing sequence is accurate, the 5 horizontal rectangular LEDs are a bit misleading in the design.

Shown here in this first photo we can clearly make out 4 separate vertical rectangular LEDs that make up one square, so to speak. It also shows us the first sequence for the Bottom Digits.

This bottom sequence is using 4 of the 5 available digits. I cannot tell if the 5th digit is being used, but I speculate it isn’t. In conclusion, this is the first sequence for the Bottom Display

Let's move on to the next available reference photo

Hmmm, tuff call. It is possible that the second Digit has some of the LEDs off, but it's too iffy to tell for certain. This is a common display seen outside of the Torture Room scene in ESB. My only assumption here is that all the Digit LEDs are ON and one thing or another is causing an illusion that some may be OFF. Not very scientific, but hey, what can you do.

Reference Photo No. three

This is a nice photo as to which LEDs are on in each Digit. It appears to be pretty clear. It's hard to make out but it appears that the fifth digit has one LED bar on, that may be the one that is hiding under the armor. My conclusion, is this

Reference photo No. four

This one is a little tricky as it has the white glare covering part of the 4th Digit and the 5th digit. However the rest of the sequence appears to be pretty easily determined

Last but not least reference photo No. 5 for ESB

While similar to Ref photo No. 4, it does have some differences. This one is also very hard to make out since it is so blurry, but this is what I make out

Finally, with no real Reference photo, but using consistency with the Top and the suggestion that 'the lights where OFF or BROKEN during this scene' I give you the sixth sequence

Please note that these are just my interpertaion

Now let's move to ROTJ

Wait, did I say ROTJ? Isn't widely believed that the lights where OFF or not functional during the filming of ROTJ? Well let's put that to rest.

The only Reference photo we have of a 'clear' Bottom sequence for ROTJ is this one

This is a production photo taken (I assume during) the filming of ROTJ. While not conclusive in itself that the lights were ON in the movie, it does give us insight to the 7th and sequence that is known to date. It also proves that at one point, the lights were quite functional at this time. So, without further ado, I give you the 7th sequence

Now let's move on.
    Most recently ROTJ had become available on TV in HD for those luckily enough to watch and record it. Art Andrews provided several screen grabs from this HD presentation available here http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/reference/. Upon close, and I mean close examination, I am 100% certain that the lights were in fact on throughout ROTJ. Due to lighting, dim LEDs, short screen time, poor angles, and very little close-ups the lights are near impossible to see. But they can be seen.

I blew up the following photos by 300% and played with the red and magenta hues to bring out the color more. They give zero insight to what is being displayed, but they are enough for me to say that the lights where indeed on, Top & Bottom. Here is what I came up with (All photos are from ROTJ Jabba's Palace, SE shots excluded)
    A faint hint of a red glow in the bottom sequence

Fett raises is blaster in response to the thermal detonator (which upons Art's close eye, is just the silver weathering of the armor)

Faintly see the glow of the top Sequence

The original photos are
    Rotj_HD_006, Rotj_HD_007, Rotj_HD_016, Rotj_HD_017, Rotj_HD_021, Rotj_HD_022, Rotj_HD_036, feel free to take a look at them yourself.

-Edit Corrected Bad URLs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display_09.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	49093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display_08.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	49094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display_02.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	49095  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display_05.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	49096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chest Vers2 37.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	49097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R616451-01.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	49098  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Seven; Dec 31, 2010 at 2:34 PM.
    Jan 28, 2009, 4:55 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #2

I do believe that the top sequence and the bottom sequence display independently from each other. It is plausible that the Top can be turned ON/OFF while leaving the Bottom OFF/ON, however it doesn't seem likely that this feature would be useful as far as filming goes, so I cannot conclude that this would have been done

The Top LEDs repeats through six different 'sequences' (the sixth being ALL OFF), while the bottom has at least seven. Being at odds with the top provides the possibility that the two won't always be together.

Since we cannot make out the lights in ROTJ, we can only assume that it is the same display patterns seen in ESB.

Attached are PDFs of the Top Sequence via the 20 LED Lightbar
    The second is a 1:1 template of the cut out slots for the Chest Light display w/Dimensions and a diagram of the 'correct' style LED Digit for the Bottom.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Seven; Jan 30, 2009 at 2:54 PM.
  3. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Jan 29, 2009, 6:57 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #3

I just wanted to chime in about my light boards V1.1 and V2.2 versions. I can program any sequence you want, so if any of you would like to explore these new sequences, my boards can handle them.

Jon
    www.Fettronics.com
    Jan 29, 2009, 7:15 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #4

Seven, you're a friggin Fett Genius!

G-Fett
  5. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Jan 29, 2009, 6:25 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #5

Nicely done, Seven, I never thought to check my HD ESB on my DVR for reference pics.
    Jan 29, 2009, 7:43 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #6

NICELY DONE. Very keen eye man.
  7. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Jan 30, 2009, 9:33 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #7

Very comprehensive...great work.
    Jan 30, 2009, 9:42 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #8

I'm in Awe! Speechless!
  9. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 30, 2009, 9:43 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #9

Nice! I definitely want to look at this a bit more closely, but this is awesome work!
    Jan 30, 2009, 2:56 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #10

Quote ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    ...I definitely want to look at this a bit more closely...
    wouldn't have it any other way
    Jan 30, 2009, 3:56 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #11

Maybe one day we'll finally know the sequence for sure. This is definitely an important step.

And I'll vouch for Fettronics. I have one and I love it.
    Jan 30, 2009, 9:09 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #12

Quote TeamFett said: View Post
    Maybe one day we'll finally know the sequence for sure. This is definitely an important step.

And I'll vouch for Fettronics. I have one and I love it.
    Same here, Fettronics V.2 is good stuff.
    Jan 30, 2009, 10:22 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #13

For the Bottom there are 5 red Digit LEDs. Each Digit is made up of Seven rectangular bars that flash ON and OFF individually. The digits have what appears to be a 10 degree angle to them.

Seven, the 10 Degrees are you referring to the italicized angle of the number or in increment of the numeric light bar from left to right? Because the last Number bar seems that the left top light bar extends further upward than the other 8 bars. Is it possible they have some that are literally just like a lower case B?
    Feb 2, 2009, 10:39 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #14

Quote Gilmore of OK said: View Post
    Seven, the 10 Degrees are you referring to the italicized angle of the number or in increment of the numeric light bar from left to right?
    I do mean the 'italicized' angle of the LED Digits.

Quote Gilmore of OK said: View Post
    Because the last Number bar seems that the left top light bar extends further upward than the other 8 bars. Is it possible they have some that are literally just like a lower case B?
    The Last digit is a full '8' (made of 7 Light bars). I do see where you can see a lower case 'b', however I have never seen an LED digit made this way. In Ref photo 4, you can see the red glow above the glare-square of the fifth digit. There is a bit of 'dirt' or paint spatter in this corner on the tinted window.
    Last edited by Seven; Feb 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM.
  15. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Feb 4, 2009, 8:19 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #15

Seven,

So I finally sat down and went through your impressive research. What can I say but bravo!!! This is a great consolidation of all the knowledge that is out there PLUS some pretty impressive new discoveries!

There are only three areas of concern for me.... and these are just "concerns" not that I am saying you are wrong.

1) I am not convinced the top bars are a single 20 LED unit, but would need to test it to see. To me, the lit reference seems to show that the lights are closer together than seen on the 20 LED bar... however, when you look at the unlit reference, it does strongly resemble the part you listed... so you might be right... and if so, it would be a LOT easier than stacking all the LEDs individually.

2) My second area of concern has to do with the dimensions of the slots. I am just going to have to sit down with the LEDs and check it, but based on the bottom digits, it seems to me that the slots are too wide... but I haven't verified that yet. You may be correct.

3) The photo where you point out the "lights" when Fett raises his gun aren't lights but the weathering on the chest armor. However, I do agree that the top bar seems to be lit when Boba is standing to the right of Jabba, which is something I had never noticed!

This is some very very cool info and will be helpful to all! I need to go ahead and pick up one of those 20 bar LEDs and see what I think and then will need to talk to fettronics about picking up a board!
    Feb 4, 2009, 12:11 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #16

The idea of the 20 LED bar intrigues me

Judging by the blown up photo I think it is still very possible
  17. Sep 15, 2009, 7:33 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #17

I was looking thu still shots of the ESB suit and noticed that in this shot the top LED bar there are two "bars" lit up at the same time and they are seperated by a small gap.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/galle...2_itemId=18886

In this photo you can see two "bars" lit up at the same time right next to each other.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/galle...geViewsIndex=1

Just throwin it in the mix.
    Sep 16, 2009, 5:28 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #18

All this info is..... amazing!!!

Thanks for sharing it....!!!

Alfredo
    Dec 17, 2010, 4:00 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #19

Necro posting I know.

I have been looking at these sequences since I am in the market for lights. I think I found a new sequence that needs to be added. Look at this pic.

Hallway_04

Notice the top bar has two segments on, and the bottom display looks like a new sequence. What does everyone think?
    Dec 18, 2010, 8:45 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #20

Ok I have been looking at this stuff too long. I think I noticed something else. While looking at the Bespin hallway scene the display doesn't look like it changes at all. Now I guess that the cycle time could be very long between changes, but I thought it would be a little faster than that. Of course this was just my observation as well and others may see it differently. Oh Star Wars on Blu Ray you can't come fast enough.
    Dec 19, 2010, 3:55 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #21

3 post in a row. Yeah me.

Well after watching the carbonite freezing chamber scene about a million times I am now seeing 8 different segments with one of the 8 being a totally off segment. I specifically watched from 1:37:44 to 1:37:46 going almost frame by frame. There are 6 segments in that time frame. The other 2 segments I am seeing are right before this time in the movie but still in the freezing chamber. I am going to work on this more and post up my diagrams. Any other eyeballs out there would be appreciated.

I noticed that in the Tantive scenes you can't make out hardly anything. However in the hallway outside the torture chamber on Bespin the display never changes. I went frame by frame and never saw it change. I don't know if there was different armor between shots that had different displays in them or if the armor was the same but the display could be static or moving depending on how you turned it on.

Another thought is that the promotional shots reveal something else. Like I said I noticed one shot that had two upper lights on. Now this could be different displays or maybe it was a long exposure time that caught two different portions of the display sequence. I don't know.
    Last edited by FettFanatic; Dec 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM.
    Dec 31, 2010, 3:51 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #22

I'm glad this came up and good job on all the attention to detail. This is one project I need to start on as I still do not have chest lights for my armor. Perhaps a "Standard" accepted sequence can be decided upon and Fettronics can offer an preset display sequence that most closely matches the film(s).

Ted
  23. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Dec 31, 2010, 8:39 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #23

My boards can display any sequence and can be reprogrammed to display a different sequence (via a PIC programmer), so they can handle any of these sequences. The biggest hurdle is the 501st accepting the new sequences as screen accurate. Others have said they had to go with the 'original' sequence because of that. I haven't contacted the group to see about getting that changed, so I'm not sure about their stance on that.
    Food for thought if you want to be 501st certified.

Jon
    Fettronics.com
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Jan 10, 2011, 9:19 AM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #24

Great info, thanks for sharing!
  25. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Jan 17, 2011, 8:22 PM - Re: Exploring ESB & ROTJ Chest Light Display #25

I finally got the light bars in! Sorry it took so long. They took the long boat from china

Anyways, go here to see the light bar in action -> YouTube - Fettronics New Sequence Test

I think it's a great idea. These will be version 2.1.3. I will start selling them once I get some $$$ to order the new PCBs. It should be soon. I'll keep you all posted!

Jon
    Fettronics.com