Subscribe
  1. Dec 6, 2009, 5:48 PM - Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #1

    Newly registered here, but I have been reading the board for years. I have a 501st approved TK, but it is time to start on my Grail - ESB Fett.

    That said, I have been watching for pieces recently and am going to start piecing this thing together over the next few months. I ran across an auction on eBay for Evolution Toy's (I know the general sentiment about this guy's armor pieces around here) ESB Gauntlets:



    Anyone seen these in person? I know that they are supposed to actually do the metal parts pretty well, and I like that all of the parts are actually aluminium. But what about the gauntlets themselves? Junk?

    Opinions are sought and highly appreciated here.

    Thanks, guys!
    Last edited by Shabazz Jenkins; Dec 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM.
  2. Astro Builder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    306
    Dec 6, 2009, 6:10 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #2

    I haven't seen the EVO gaunts in person, so it's hard to say, but I've heard they are middle of the road (some people happy and some disappointed). Probably depends are the caliber of costume you are seeking. Here's some general EVO reviews.

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=34435

    I think if I were going to spend $300 plus international shipping, I would buy FettPride gaunts or Wickerbeard instead. I can't remember what i paid for my FP gaunts, but I think it was about $300 for ROTJ. I think WB gaunts which are ALL metal are about $595 painted for ROTJ. Of course you have to do the painting, but they are not vac-formed ( I think EVO are) and are amazing. Below is how my gaunts turned out and I am no artist, just followed some tutorials here.

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=34706

    One last note, I did get the knee armor from EVO, I can say that the paint in the pictures looked nothing like the paint on the product I received. My guess is you will spend $300 and want to upgrade pretty quick, so get it right the first time. You'll save in the end.
  3. Dec 6, 2009, 6:16 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #3

    Yeah, I want nothing to do with their armor (or anything else, really). I just wondered about the gauntlets. Thanks.
  4. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Dec 6, 2009, 6:54 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #4

    soft details, flimsy plastic, lots of work...ManOfWar Studios has AMAZING gauntlets up for auction on ebay as well...just type in "boba fett prop" and you cant miss them...they are primered in the pic...$200 i believe....they are solid, very sharp details, can come put together with hinges and clips...you cant go wrong, plus you would get them quicker being in the US...
  5. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Dec 6, 2009, 6:56 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #5

    also, i have seen the aluminum flamethrower, not worth the time or money...the fittings and pipes are loose, and it is very large and cumbersome...Serenity may be able to help you out if you want an aluminum flamethrower....
  6. Astro Builder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    306
    Dec 6, 2009, 7:20 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #6

    Definitely. Forgot about MOW. Christian makes great stuff. I have the MOW jetpack and love it.

    Quote FettDad said: View Post
    soft details, flimsy plastic, lots of work...ManOfWar Studios has AMAZING gauntlets up for auction on ebay as well...just type in "boba fett prop" and you cant miss them...they are primered in the pic...$200 i believe....they are solid, very sharp details, can come put together with hinges and clips...you cant go wrong, plus you would get them quicker being in the US...
  7. Dec 6, 2009, 7:34 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #7

    Quote FettDad said: View Post
    also, i have seen the aluminum flamethrower, not worth the time or money...the fittings and pipes are loose, and it is very large and cumbersome...Serenity may be able to help you out if you want an aluminum flamethrower....
    Awesome. Thanks for the help. Evo is off the list entirely, then.
  8. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1
    Dec 7, 2009, 1:06 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #8

    Hey all, been trolling around here looking for some insight into a Fett costume, as i would like to make that my one and only armor costume.
    That said, i am glad i stumbled on this. I was looking at EVO stuff, but was wondering about the quality. Now I know...
    So is there links to some of these other armor producers?? I don't have the space, ability, or time right now to pull anything of my own right now (tho one day i would like to learn!) However I can paint! So i am looking for the armor pieces that i can purchase piece by piece and paint myself. This is a project i would like to work on for the next year or so.
    If I have posted in the wrong area, please let me know.
    Thanks
  9. Astro Builder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    306
    Dec 8, 2009, 6:50 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #9

    You really have to read some forums and do some searching, but that takes a while. Best advice I can give you (wish somebody had given me the same advice or I had discovered TDH sooner), take your time and gather info from this community before making a decision. You'll be glad you did.

    Here is a review for EVO stuff:

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=34435

    As for armor, it really depends what floats you boat, but EVO is strictly middle of the road at best. You'll be upgrading it if you get into this hobby. Bobamaker is one of the best and his stuff comes already prepped for paint (but you pay a premium for that), Wikerbeard makes incredible stuff (and an amazing painter) and you can get real metal armor for a decent price, Fettpride makes great stuff (you have to do the prep work, but you get high quality at a good price for doing some sanding and priming), and manofwar (MOW) makes sweet jetpack and gaunts (no sure he makes chest armor). I'm sure there are others but these seem to be the most prevalent of the high end stuff. Good luck.


    Quote nerftheherder said: View Post
    Hey all, been trolling around here looking for some insight into a Fett costume, as i would like to make that my one and only armor costume.
    That said, i am glad i stumbled on this. I was looking at EVO stuff, but was wondering about the quality. Now I know...
    So is there links to some of these other armor producers?? I don't have the space, ability, or time right now to pull anything of my own right now (tho one day i would like to learn!) However I can paint! So i am looking for the armor pieces that i can purchase piece by piece and paint myself. This is a project i would like to work on for the next year or so.
    If I have posted in the wrong area, please let me know.
    Thanks
  10. Dec 9, 2009, 6:49 AM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #10

    I have to at least vouch for their machined parts.For the price they are great items.I use their missiles,Flamethrowers, and darts religiously for my metal gaunts as the price is very affordable, and the quality is very good.Yeah sometimes the Flamer parts seem loose, but not to the point where it is noticeable.
    I however get them unpainted since I like to add my paintwork.
    I cannot give an opinion on their gaunts or armor as I only really buy machined parts , but I have never had a problem with their products or service.
    I have worked on their boots, and again, for the money, they are very nice.
    when I find an affordable supplier that is reliable and always gets back with me on a timely basis, I stick with them.
  11. Astro Builder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    306
    Dec 9, 2009, 8:13 AM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #11

    Totally agree. EVO metal parts are great. It's too bad, Gabe hasn't reached the same level with the armor and soft parts, except the boots which are good too. Of course, another was to look it....without EVO armor and soft parts there would be no bridge between the Rubies stuff and the high end stuff. EVO provides a middle ground in this area.
  12. CombatBaby's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,336
    Dec 9, 2009, 10:02 AM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #12

    i don't know the price, so I can't judge too harshly. Assuming they are cheaper than others they are fairly accurate.

    but like others have said the detail is soft and many parts you'd want to replace. calc pad for sure.

    the machined parts are pretty good though. the flame thrower is better than most of what you'll see as far as resin stuff, and the rocket is sharper than most resin casts floating around.


    STILL

    i built my MOW gauntlets in the barest of kit form and I couldn't be happier with them

    Added the switches. aluminum flame thrower, wiring for some lights and jetpack functions and they're now one of my favorite parts of my costume.

    the detail is crisp and wonderful (which makes sense considering their casted construction.

    my only criticism is that I was under the assumption they were the largest gauntlets available, and I still had to trim tons off to get my wrists in them. Of course, that's not Christians fault. that is my fault for being 6'5" with huge arms.

    other than that I think MOW is the best option, I'd skip the resin flamethrower though and get the evo metal parts or stuff from Russ rep or serenity.
  13. britt59's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    107
    Dec 9, 2009, 10:25 AM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #13

    Hi guys!!
    Wow... well, what to say? Yes, we have been trying a different material to make the gauntlets different to resin. We like to work with plastic and reinforced resin to make them lighter, thou we know that make them only of resin would be great... and the price as well... But thank you guys for this feedback, it is always good to hear what impression our costumes and props cause in our customers!
  14. hollowbomber's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    30
    Dec 13, 2009, 8:25 AM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #14

    I'm still not sure what to buy for gauntlets. I also saw that auction and felt they look soft. I want something affordable though. ; ;
  15. cr4nky's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    639
    Dec 15, 2009, 12:23 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #15

    Quote wickedbeard said: View Post
    I have to at least vouch for their machined parts.For the price they are great items.I use their missiles,Flamethrowers, and darts religiously for my metal gaunts as the price is very affordable, and the quality is very good.Yeah sometimes the Flamer parts seem loose, but not to the point where it is noticeable.
    I however get them unpainted since I like to add my paintwork.
    I cannot give an opinion on their gaunts or armor as I only really buy machined parts , but I have never had a problem with their products or service.
    I have worked on their boots, and again, for the money, they are very nice.
    when I find an affordable supplier that is reliable and always gets back with me on a timely basis, I stick with them.
    I second this. I have wickedbeard gaunts with EVO-metal parts and they look great!
  16. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Dec 15, 2009, 12:30 PM - Re: Evolution Gauntlets - opinions sought #16

    Quote hollowbomber said: View Post
    I'm still not sure what to buy for gauntlets. I also saw that auction and felt they look soft. I want something affordable though. ; ;
    manofwarstudios has an auction on ebay for his gauntlets...search "boba fett prop", you cant miss them...

Similar Threads

  1. evolution westars
    By saint_nasty in forum Jango Fett Costume
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 1, 2009, 11:25 AM
  2. Evolution props
    By Dark Jedi in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2009, 6:03 AM
  3. Most sought after costume stuff?
    By Southern hunter in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Sep 29, 2008, 8:31 PM
  4. Opinions Wanted on Gauntlets on eBay
    By maj. hassel in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug 30, 2007, 11:08 PM
  5. ESB gauntlets-- opinions please
    By slave1pilot in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Oct 1, 2005, 5:26 AM