Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    1 Week Ago - Aug 25, 2015, 8:18 PM - ESB vs ROTJ/SE #1

Are the ESB shin tools different versus ROTJ/SE?

thanks!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    1 Week Ago - Aug 25, 2015, 9:08 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #2

They are the same tools, just less are required for the RoTJ suit. specifically the jet pack tool and knife are optional (but allowed).
    1 Week Ago - Aug 25, 2015, 9:25 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #3

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you can ever actually see the tools in ROTJ or SE on screen. They are present in the promo pics but on the screen captures you never see the tools present.

So you only have promo and what is assumed about ROTJ and SE.

Like I said some one can correct me if there is actual screen pics......
    1 Week Ago - Aug 25, 2015, 9:33 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #4

I don't mean to hijack this thread but figured it would be better than a new thread. Is the patterson squeegee supposed to be cut down? I have one but it seems too long for the shin pockets.
    1 Week Ago - Aug 25, 2015, 9:35 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #5

Quote Furious said: View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but figured it would be better than a new thread. Is the patterson squeegee supposed to be cut down? I have one but it seems too long for the shin pockets.
    Yes, parts are used for other shin tools.
  7. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    1 Week Ago - Aug 25, 2015, 11:59 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #6

Quote Mullreel said: View Post
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you can ever actually see the tools in ROTJ or SE on screen. They are present in the promo pics but on the screen captures you never see the tools present.

So you only have promo and what is assumed about ROTJ and SE.

Like I said some one can correct me if there is actual screen pics......
    Theyre in some of the promo pics....there was actually TWO Promo shoots. If you look at the background it changes as does a few things like the tools
    1 Week Ago - Aug 26, 2015, 1:09 AM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #7

The tools are not the same, because the ROTJ/SE had the Supertrooper/early Pre-Pro #1 Anti-Security Blade (a longer version), while the ESB had a shorter version of the same tool. Some info here ==> All Boba Fett Shin Tools Stencils and more here ==> RafalFett's Misc Templates and Blueprints. The Sonic Beam Weapon looks the same, but as others noted, the ROTJ had only 2 tools:

The ROTJ SE is a difficult one, because there are at least 3 sets of promo shoots: the 1st set doesn't have any shin tools, the 2nd has 2 Anty-Security Blades (1 ROTJ Hero and 1 Pre-Pro #2) while the 3rd set has all the tools, but not all of them original tools.

boba-fett-costume-special-edition-15-jpg boba-fett-costume-special-edition-16-jpg boba-fett-costume-special-edition-02-jpg

The Jetpack Adjustment Tool and the Sonic Beam Weapon looks like they took them from the Star Wars Visual Dictionary:

1 Week Ago - Aug 26, 2015, 10:54 AM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #8

I forgot to mention that the ROTJ SE on set images shows no shin tools:

bp0qzgrcuaass1h-jpg se_rotj_bts_02-jpg se_rotj_bts_05-jpg
    1 Week Ago - Aug 26, 2015, 11:51 AM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #9

Awesome information, thanks RafalFett
    1 Week Ago - Aug 26, 2015, 2:38 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #10

Quote RafalFett said: View Post

You are the best, mate! I can't thank you enough for the huge effort you have put into uncovering and posting all the details -- I know my costume efforts wouldn't even come close without them.
    1 Week Ago - Aug 26, 2015, 3:24 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #11

Quote RafalFett said: View Post

I actually have a full ROTJ suit minus shin tools, would I be 501st approved then?lol
    1 Week Ago - Aug 26, 2015, 5:54 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #12

Quote Verbal21 said: View Post
    I actually have a full ROTJ suit minus shin tools, would I be 501st approved then?lol
    Nope must have the 2 tools.
    1 Week Ago - Aug 27, 2015, 7:39 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #13

Quote crumdum said: View Post
    They are the same tools, just less are required for the RoTJ suit. specifically the jet pack tool and knife are optional (but allowed).
    Actually that is incorrect, the ROTJ anti-security blade is not the same as the one use in ESB. There are noticeable differences that could potentially jeopardize 501st approval, primarily the visible red stripe that is visible in ROTJ hero screen caps. The black "vibro-plate" is also skinnier and longer than that used in ESB.
  15. 5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 8:24 AM - ESB vs ROTJ/SE #14

Quote Furious said: View Post
    Check this out...yes you need to cut

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/s...d-parts-52156/

Sent from a galaxy far far away
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 12:58 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #15

Quote jbdubz said: View Post
    Actually that is incorrect, the ROTJ anti-security blade is not the same as the one use in ESB. There are noticeable differences that could potentially jeopardize 501st approval, primarily the visible red stripe that is visible in ROTJ hero screen caps. The black "vibro-plate" is also skinnier and longer than that used in ESB.
    Your statement is incorrect. The referenced images used for the ESB and ROTJ shin tools both reference the same image in both the "final" ESB costume that Darth Voorhees wore and the unfinished ROTJ version CRLs. Darth, being the purest he is, chose to have his suit mirror what was shown in the movie picture whereas in ROTJ no shin tools were actually worn as Rafal mentioned above. Specifically, both CRLS specify to make it per the Star Wars dictionary reference, most of which was made up (as Rafal also pointed out). Per 501st specs for ROTJ you only need the Sonic Beam Weapon and Anti-Security blade. The other two parts (Survival Knife and Jetpack adjustment tool) are completely optional for ROTJ.
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 4:52 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #16

Well here is some specific info pertaining to the shin tools that Rafal has come up with in his research.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/r...45/#post601745

Your statement is incorrect. The referenced images used for the ESB and ROTJ shin tools both reference the same image in both the "final" ESB costume that Darth Voorhees wore and the unfinished ROTJ version CRLs
    You are incorrect in this statement cause the Anti-Security blade shown in the CRL's for both ESB & ROTJ Boba Fett are in fact the ROTJ version based on Rafal's research. And in looking closely at Lou's Anti-Security blade that he has in his pocket it doesn't have the red stripe. So the reference photos for the Anti-Security Blade on the CRL isn't Lou's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotj_boba_anti_security_blade-jpg   bh_boba_esb_full_edit-jpg  
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 5:05 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #17

Your statement is incorrect. The referenced images used for the ESB and ROTJ shin tools both reference the same image in both the "final" ESB costume that Darth Voorhees wore and the unfinished ROTJ version CRLs. Darth, being the purest he is, chose to have his suit mirror what was shown in the movie picture whereas in ROTJ no shin tools were actually worn as Rafal mentioned above. Specifically, both CRLS specify to make it per the Star Wars dictionary reference, most of which was made up (as Rafal also pointed out). Per 501st specs for ROTJ you only need the Sonic Beam Weapon and Anti-Security blade. The other two parts (Survival Knife and Jetpack adjustment tool) are completely optional for ROTJ.

crumdum, i'm not sure what is incorrect about visible fact. your statement that the tools are the same from ESB to ROTJ is false. the anti security blade used in ESB is not the same anti security blade used in the ROTJ hero suit.
    you must have missed it, but Raf is specifically referencing ROTJ SE when speaking about the absence of shin tools. and if you looked at the post directly above the SE pics, you'll see that Raf clearly indicates the differences and even provides links to his very useful shin tool blueprint threads further outlining the different AS blades. in no way was i referencing SE otherwise i would have said ROTJ SE in my original post. i did not say it 'would jeopardize' approval, i said it 'could potentially jeopardize' approval. I'm sure Lou, in all his purity, would agree that screen accuracy is the easiest and most secure route towards any approval. my goal is merely to steer those interested in accuracy down the right path and since this thread is asking about specific differences it was assumed that accuracy was the goal of the OP.

Sent from my R2 unit using Tapatalk
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 8:07 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #18

Quote toolguy301 said: View Post
    Well here is some specific info pertaining to the shin tools that Rafal has come up with in his research.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/r...45/#post601745

You are incorrect in this statement cause the Anti-Security blade shown in the CRL's for both ESB & ROTJ Boba Fett are in fact the ROTJ version based on Rafal's research. And in looking closely at Lou's Anti-Security blade that he has in his pocket it doesn't have the red stripe. So the reference photos for the Anti-Security Blade on the CRL isn't Lou's.
    Quote jbdubz said: View Post
    crumdum, i'm not sure what is incorrect about visible fact. your statement that the tools are the same from ESB to ROTJ is false. the anti security blade used in ESB is not the same anti security blade used in the ROTJ hero suit.
    you must have missed it, but Raf is specifically referencing ROTJ SE when speaking about the absence of shin tools. and if you looked at the post directly above the SE pics, you'll see that Raf clearly indicates the differences and even provides links to his very useful shin tool blueprint threads further outlining the different AS blades. in no way was i referencing SE otherwise i would have said ROTJ SE in my original post. i did not say it 'would jeopardize' approval, i said it 'could potentially jeopardize' approval. I'm sure Lou, in all his purity, would agree that screen accuracy is the easiest and most secure route towards any approval. my goal is merely to steer those interested in accuracy down the right path and since this thread is asking about specific differences it was assumed that accuracy was the goal of the OP.

Sent from my R2 unit using Tapatalk
    There must be some miscommunication here. I specifically stated that for approval the CRLs state specifically (and I will highlight) for both ESB and ROTJ

For Sonic weapon...

Shin Tool: Sonic Beam Weapon
    For 501st approval:

• May be made as shown in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary or from original found part.
    • The Sonic Beam Weapon is a Patterson Squeegee, still available from photography supply companies (or a cast replica).

This is stated very clearly in the CRLs for BOTH ESB and ROTJ. So if you get the version shown in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary for both versions...for CRL purposes you are fine. This is also true for the anti-security blade.

@Jbdubsz I looked through every single screen capture of ROTJ including ROTJ SE shots and failed to find a single movie image screen capture that showed Boba Fett wearing any shin tools. Let me know if you find any images where he is actually wearing them.
    Last edited by crumdum; 5 Days Ago at 8:18 PM.
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 9:41 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #19

@Jbdubsz I looked through every single screen capture of ROTJ including ROTJ SE shots and failed to find a single movie image screen capture that showed Boba Fett wearing any shin tools. Let me know if you find any images where he is actually wearing them.
    You sure you looked?

boba-fett-costume-return-jedi-bts-14-jpg

boba-fett-costume-return-jedi-jabba-01-jpg

boba-fett-costume-return-jedi-skiff-04-jpg
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 9:48 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #20

Quote cbrant said: View Post
    You sure you looked?

boba-fett-costume-return-jedi-bts-14-jpg

boba-fett-costume-return-jedi-jabba-01-jpg

boba-fett-costume-return-jedi-skiff-04-jpg
    Yep cause those are not screen shots from the movie
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 10:15 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #21

Yep cause those are not screen shots from the movie
    On a technicality I suppose you can say that but these are stills taken from the set during filming. I think it's a safe assumption to make that they did not remove the shin tools you see here from the suit while filming.
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 10:27 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #22

Quote bcurtis said: View Post
    on a technicality i suppose you can say that but these are stills taken from the set during filming. I think it's a safe assumption to make that they did not remove the shin tools you see here from the suit while filming.
    booyakasha-jpg
    respek!
    5 Days Ago - Aug 30, 2015, 11:29 PM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #23

On a technicality I suppose you can say that but these are stills taken from the set during filming. I think it's a safe assumption to make that they did not remove the shin tools you see here from the suit while filming.
    The point behind the lack of a clear screenshots showing the shin tools and how they look (which is not an issue in ESB) is probably the reason why the star wars visual dictionary is allowed as a reference for the tools. There is one grand action shot where I think I saw shin tools in ROTJ, there are a number of reasons for not having them worn in action scenes in ROTJ. There are a few scenes I would have expected to see them worn on, but they were not visible.

I will warn people that it doesn't matter much what people here on TDH think the costume standards are for Boba Fett, for 501st credentialing purposes it matters whats in the CRLs. The fact that the CRLS conflict with what's shown on screen and conflict with image references used by the site should not be lost on the viewer. That being said the CRLS allow the same shin tools in both ESB and ROTJ that match the star wars visual dictionary. Raf already has proven that those items in the dictionary are completely fictional, but that doesn't mean they are against the CRL.

Cbrant I always looked to see what was shown in the movies because that ultimately was George Lucas's vision for how the characters were to be. If this wasn't the case Han would have still fired first in Episode IV.
    5 Days Ago - Aug 31, 2015, 1:53 AM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #24

Did someone said no screencaps with shin tools?

boba-fett-costume-returnof-jedi-hd-023-png boba-fett-costume-returnof-jedi-hd-024-png boba-fett-costume-returnof-jedi-hd-043-png
    4 Days Ago - Aug 31, 2015, 11:04 AM - Re: ESB vs ROTJ/SE #25

I would never say this...........I mean we are talking about the Star Wars crew. I wouldn't put it past them to switch things, turn them upside down and backwards or put two right knees on the actor or put the jetpack on upside down...............lol