Subscribe
  1. Jun 10, 2013, 10:05 PM - ESB Spurs or Bells #1

Wondering has anybody install Spurs or Bells in their ESB Boba Fetts? Looking to do it myself but not sure with spurs or bells make the best and closest effect.
    Jun 10, 2013, 10:13 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #2

I heard some guys put spare change in their pockets
  3. Jun 10, 2013, 10:14 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #3

Yea I heard that too, but im sure you can tell the difference between hearing a spur and loose change in your pockets.
    Jun 10, 2013, 10:37 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #4

I've used my keys. It comes pretty close lol.
  5. Jun 11, 2013, 3:27 AM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #5

haha nice. I started searching on amazon and ebay for spurs small enough to fit in the flight suit or spats but couldn't find any. The only thing that seems like in might work is a small wrist band with jingle bells on it.
    Jun 13, 2013, 6:21 AM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #6

Throw a few jingle bells in your side pouches. It doesn't take a lot of them and the medium sized ones will work. You can't really hear them over the sound of everything else at a troop but if it's quiet you could.
    Aug 18, 2013, 7:14 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #7

Can I ask what part of this costume actually creates the jingle?

I've been doing some research on some of the threads, and from what I understand, the sound was put in post production. So...to your understanding, what is actually creating the 'spur sound' without having the spurs? Is it the metal shin tools?
    Aug 18, 2013, 7:30 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #8

Maybe his pouches are full of loose change?
    Aug 18, 2013, 7:46 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #9

They say in the SE with commentary during the ESB scene they put spurs on him as he walked.
    Aug 18, 2013, 8:31 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #10

Quote LongHammer said: View Post
    They say in the SE with commentary during the ESB scene they put spurs on him as he walked.
    I wonder then why there are no reference photos of them. Even though I'm doing a ROTJ Fett...I still thought it would be cool to add this.

Just did a little wiki search...to confirm...

"Sound editor Ben Burtt added the sound of jangling spurs, created and performed by the Foley artist team of Robert Rutledge and Edward Steidele, to Fett's appearance in Cloud City, intending to make the character menacing and the scene reminiscent of similar gunfighter appearances in Western films."
    Aug 19, 2013, 1:54 AM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #11

I thought the same thing, they are in sound only. I think it was supposed to be one of those things that you don't notice, but your brain did. I don't think Ben really had a particular part in mind that would jingle on Fett.
    Aug 19, 2013, 8:35 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #12

The spurs are a sound effect. I spent about 30 minutes in a Hobby Lobby ringing all the different sizes of jingle bells. I found one that is about a half inch or so wide and thought it sounded nice with others. So I put three in each of my big shin tool pockets. It's subtle, but a few people have asked me about it. I did it more for myself than others, but in a quiet venue, you can definitely hear it.
    Aug 19, 2013, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #13

I can just picture someone jingling bells in an aisle for 30 minutes....

Priceless.

....I'll probably do the same thing.
    Aug 20, 2013, 2:10 AM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #14

Quote gymbeau2000 said: View Post
    The spurs are a sound effect. I spent about 30 minutes in a Hobby Lobby ringing all the different sizes of jingle bells. I found one that is about a half inch or so wide and thought it sounded nice with others. So I put three in each of my big shin tool pockets. It's subtle, but a few people have asked me about it. I did it more for myself than others, but in a quiet venue, you can definitely hear it.
    That's awesome Gym!
    Aug 22, 2013, 1:45 AM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #15

Quote gymbeau2000 said: View Post
    strange but, at no point did this sound weird to me the whole time I'm thinking you saved me from ringing each bell. Now I can B-line straight to the half inch bell. Thanks lol
    Nov 9, 2013, 5:21 PM - Re: ESB Spurs or Bells #16

I'm gonna try the bells in the shin tool pockets. Never really thought where it came from, just cool to hear as he walked by in a quiet room. Maybe the shin tools were moving against each other?