Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Sep 30, 2008, 12:13 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #51

Quote never_ending_fett said: View Post
    Where do we go from here?
    ..good question...

I say we take a vote or a poll?? maybe?...so we can call this one done.

Personally, I'll probably paint them white.
    Sep 30, 2008, 1:20 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #52

Quote Spideyfett said: View Post
    ..good question...

Personally, I'll paint mine silver, but I'm doing ROTJ

Great topic, i've said it before, but I'm saying it again.

By what's next I was meaning what mystery are we going to attempt to tackle next?
    Sep 30, 2008, 1:33 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #53

I vote white...
    I like to be different
    It makes me feel good that I didn't buy a aluminum set and decided to go with real keyboard keys...

Quote Spideyfett said: View Post
    ..good question...

Sep 30, 2008, 6:50 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #54

I know I dont post on here much but I must say that I think they are still silver. I used to have a silver car that under bright light it would look like it's white. Maybe this is what we are seeing.

Also, look at other things in those pics that you know are silver, they also look white.
    Last edited by DarthBauer; Sep 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM.
    Sep 30, 2008, 7:06 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #55

Comparison to trooper armor may help??
    and contrasting to the red background I see white..
    also we know the left ear has white at the top sooo ... it seems to have the same value.

SF posted it already but i thought a whole pic may change some minds.

Last edited by Sixxgunn13; Sep 30, 2008 at 7:11 PM.
  6. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Sep 30, 2008, 11:37 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #56

Quote Sixxgunn13 said: View Post
    Comparison to trooper armor may help??
    and contrasting to the red background I see white..
    also we know the left ear has white at the top sooo ... it seems to have the same value.

SF posted it already but i thought a whole pic may change some minds.
    Yeah, that's the pic that makes me believe they're white, just as you said Sixxgunn because of the value of the "whiteness" of the trooper compared to the stud....as most of the silver in that pic has grey values with white highlights, the studs don't...

Great shot.
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Oct 1, 2008, 4:18 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #57

the studs look gray to me in that last pic, which seems like what a flat aluminum would be, but I may be seeing it differently somehow. I think an analysis of how they look in motion, how they appear as they move around might reveal more than a still by itself. The thing is, they have flat sides, and under the bright lights of the set they are unlikely to show gradations of color, so comparing to the suit's other silver parts could be misleading. Interestingly, the silver strip on the hexagonal center chest piece, which is flat-sided like the studs and at the same angle to the camera, is showing up a similar whitish/gray color as the studs, but I believe it is universally acknowledged that it is in fact silver there. Am I wrong? I could be. Maybe that is not agreed upon. Anyway, aluminum color can easily light up as white as has been suggested here already. Watching the studs move through the light might reveal gradations in color if they are actually silver. Trouble is, I believe they go to a wider shot when he starts walking through the set in this scene, making the resolution too low for any helpful analysis. I actually have 35mm film of this scene that one could take to a lab for color density readings if we are desperate enough.

Also, not to confuse the issue, but... I see a lot of ESB fett armor vests that are bright white, but here in this frame from the film, if going on the other values of white in the image, that vest is clearly a light gray and not a blindingly clean white I so often see in repros. In fact, there is even a clear difference of color between the vest and the neck seal which appears whiter. I think this gray vest suffers from the same problem as the gray/silver studs... all lit up, they have a tendency to look white when in fact they aren't.

But I am happy to acknowledge I have no idea what the answer is. My opinions are admittedly subject to extreme error. :o
    Last edited by Lufo1138; Oct 1, 2008 at 4:28 AM.
    Oct 1, 2008, 8:20 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #58

Sixxgunn, that's a pretty interesting point with the stormtrooper in the shot, however as Lufo mentioned there is the center diamond piece which appears to have the same value as the studs. Also if you look at the last shot that Alex posted in his original post look at the calculator pad compared to the studs. The calculator pad is universally accepted as silver and it appears to have the same value as the studs as well.

We may never know for sure, but I am closer to accepting white as a possibility than i was before but I think for now I will still hold to my opinion that they are silver.
    Oct 1, 2008, 10:46 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #59

Heres a silly question, but it says, and not a direct quote...

'trophies hanging from his belt'. What are the trophies on his belt?
    Oct 1, 2008, 11:02 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #60

Here's that same pic, but with a little color correction. It's really all in the eye of the beholder, but I see a flat aluminum. I'm going to watch ESB again, and see what these look like in action. If they are really white, it should be very noticeable.

-Ryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	esbhdbdt6.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	27793  
    Oct 1, 2008, 11:19 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #61

Quote Stormrider said:
    'trophies hanging from his belt'. What are the trophies on his belt?
    That refers to this pic from the PP2 suit. It kind of looks like a metal safety cap from a solvent can. As far as I know this is the only trophy, and it was only on this version of the suit. And no, that's not a silly question!

-Ryan

Name:	composite.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	27795  
    Oct 1, 2008, 11:36 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #62

Aw k-rap! The chest armor center diamond is generally considered silver?!?! I thought it was generally considered white!!?? It too looks to be the same color as the studs.
    Oct 1, 2008, 11:56 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #63

HA.. someone has jokes

But seriously, we've all been so use to the fact it may be silver studs, we've never questioned it till now... I've been in a member/lurker for 10+ years and I've overlooked a lot of stuff due to not really looking...
    But If you really look at the suit as a whole it only make sence to have white dabbled here or there.

Almost every green part has some form of white on it..

I see white, others may not... but hey I like my suit right.

Edit**

Can someone clip and paste the WHITE studs near the known silver parts (chest diamond)
    so you can see the grey tones next to the WHITE of the studs...lol

I guess the Stormtrooper is silver as well
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Oct 1, 2008, 3:13 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #64

ok, I got bored. Here are parts of the studs, the center piece and the stormtrooper blown up into swatches, placed next to each other with a neutral 155/155/155 gray in back. The studs show an RGB reading that is closer to the diamond center piece than the trooper, but I noticed two problems with this image. First, it is too low resolution. This causes serious bleeding on the studs from surrounding colors. Secondly, the color correction is skewed. There are no true whites. Even the stormtrooper is reading more in the baby blue range. I don't think this image will produce definitive results.
  15. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 1, 2008, 3:16 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #65

Nice pics Lufo I wonder how much the shadow and lighting affects those screenshots though.
    Oct 1, 2008, 4:03 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #66

I think I'll just paint mine light/pale grey like the subtle tones in the helmet colours...
  17. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Oct 1, 2008, 4:19 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #67

Maybe they were a light grey like the AT-AT's grey. That's can be an explanation of why sometimes they look a light grey and sometimes they look white.
    Oct 1, 2008, 7:17 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #68

Thx Lufo...
    I wasn't able to do that cause my Mac is not at my place.

I have a higher res-image, I think...I'll try the same and post it later.
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 1, 2008, 8:02 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #69

Remember how we all thought AT-AT Pilots were white?
    Oct 2, 2008, 10:00 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #70

Mac user Sixx? Rock on!!!

So if they started on the super trooper, but there were 6 suits made total, they all could have started out white, and each set was painted/repainted arbitrarily?
    Oct 2, 2008, 10:42 AM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #71

Not trying to kink up the works, but I'm not even convinced that the Albino Fett studs were white. These pics are a very low quality, but I don't see the studs as white. There's a good full shot of the Albino Fett in the Insider #99 that I need to scan.

And on the previous color correction the bright point in that pic is the wall light next to the trooper, not the trooper. I messed with the colors to take any color shift out of the trooper, and it really fouled up the whole picture! Shadows on white objects naturally fall in the blue range.

MACS RULE!

-Ryan

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	27879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	27880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	27881  

Oct 2, 2008, 12:22 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #72

Interesting development. I see what you are saying about not being weight, they sure look at least darker than the armor that's for sure.
  23. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Oct 2, 2008, 12:52 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #73

Ryan, I am with you to a degree. However, I do believe at least some of the supertroopers did have white shoulder studs. I know this is a terrible photo, but the studs appear to be white to me in this example.

Name:	white_studs.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	27882  
    Oct 2, 2008, 12:56 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #74

Is there more to that photo Art? Do we have a way to distinguish one supertrooper from another? I would agree that they definately look white in that shot, at least compared to the armor and helmet but it's hard to tell for sure in black and white.
  25. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Oct 2, 2008, 12:59 PM - Re: ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver? #75

There is... but the fact is, right now, I can't show it... I am trying my hardest to get these released and as always, will do so as soon as I have permission.

From the limited photos I have seen, no I don't think there is any real way to ID one supertrooper from another. I tend to believe that most of the photos we see is the first one sent over which later became the PP1. I doubt they bothered taking photos of the others because they were all going to be repainted... of course a lot of that is just my thoughts and opinions.