ESB to ROTJ conversion...

RBF

Well-Known Hunter
many of you might say that I have fallen to the darkside... I'm changing my ESB Fett to a ROTJ one... .....

the reason is the amount of reference material available for the ROTJ suit, I mean I can paint a little, so I want my suit to look as good as I possibly can... (as for the ESB or ROTJ debate... I tend to look at Boba as Boba... not a character divided into 2 versions simply because his gear is composed a little different... I mean we don't look at Vader in about 4 different ways right?)

anyways, I started my project with the jet pack, wich I didn't just want to repaint but to edit a little aswell, since it was going to be repainted anyways, I could just aswell sand an do some mods to it...

As I was ready for painting I noticed that although I had some pretty darn good reference pics (thnx Braks), my jet pack kit (a recast of a Bradley Fett one ... shame on me, but hwen I bought it, I didn't know it was a recast... still feel a little bad about it...sorry MB...but to get back to the point...) my jet pack kit is probably one of the most light weight, but also most inaccurate kits available, its a way to much strechted vetrtically in comparison to the real deal or an MLC... but it was alot more affordable for a 17 year old :p

also, its ABS vac formed, so it isnt curved right in more rectangular forms, all edges are round like...

for starters, I wanted to redo the missile attachment point so it looks accurate when I;m not wearin the rocket (mostly for future planned fan films) and the grid on the bottom of the jet pack.

I havent made a new grid yet but I'll get around to that soon enough, just a piece of plexi-glas with the right amount of stripes dremmeled out and painted in the right colour that gets layed in the bottom of the pack so it is removeable...who knows what that opening might be useful for during fan films or whatever...

I also still need to attach the screw like thingy on the right white stripe, and the little push button greeblie on the bottom...

lookin at it now, I think it came out allright... and it's not just some custom weathering... although it doesn't really show I looked at pics because the model is so different from the original... $$$MLC$$$ where are you... :p

editing plans...

Jetpack plans 1.jpg

Jetpack plans 2.jpg

Jetpack plans 3.jpg

basic colours, with the blue sprayed on and the rest hand painted...
(looks like a plastic toy...)

intertoys look.JPG

and after black wash, weathering, black mist, white wash, aluminium wash, and more weathering... this is what it looks like when finished...

main body finished.JPG

:lol: LOL, yeah well... I have to admit, painting this jet pack was alot more trying then my previous paint job in ESB style...ofcourse I had custom weathering...

thnx Cal :)

Looks Great. (y)

R_boba_fett said:
and after black wash, weathering, black mist, white wash, aluminium wash, and more weathering... this is what it looks like when finished...

Will you explain your tecnique with some more details? I love how your weathering came out, and will need some tips when its time to paint my JP.

Thanks,
Gator

after "pre-processing it" (sanding or primer or whatever is required) give the pack the main basic colours,

then you rub some black wash on it at the right spots,

then paint all the silver scratches on,

do some black misting on it with a black spray can,

then wash the parts with the colour you put on them first if they came out a bit to dark after misting,

then redo some parts of the now "dulled by black misting" silver spots, and you get a nice looking weatehring scheme.

Also.. on the thrusters I just rubbed some black wash very crued (so you could basically still see brush stripes everywhere, looked really ugly)

then I grabbed my silver paint (aluminium actually) and washed that all over teh thruster balls.

then did some black misting on them (like on the rest of the pack) and then redid the black decals with some black paint, and put new silver scratches on them.

because of the alu-wash, it now kinda has that white ...painted metal look to them... maybe I will wash them with some gold paint aswell in the future, because on reference pics you can clearly see they also have a brown, rusty touch on em a bit...

hope that helps, its quite easy to do actually... I'm not keen on the "mustard method", as I want control with a brush...

This is really hard for me to see!!! As obi wan might say, "You were my brother!!!!" And now you've fallen into evil!!! Just kiddin bro;) Hey, that paint job looks fantastic there!!! Very, very nice. And it didn't take you very long either!!!! Way to go!!. Now sand it all off & go back to green:lol:
Damian

Jango's kid said:
This is really hard for me to see!!! As obi wan might say, "You were my brother!!!!" And now you've fallen into evil!!! Just kiddin bro;) Hey, that paint job looks fantastic there!!! Very, very nice. And it didn't take you very long either!!!! Way to go!!. Now sand it all off & go back to green:lol:
Damian

:lol: :lol: LOL, "sand it all off" :lol: :lol:

thnx for the compliment JK!!! :) means alot to me!!!

yeah well, I started workin on it last... tuesday I think... And I finished yesterday (saturday)

Now...and I mean NOW... I'm gonna do the rocket, just dremmeled a bit of in the garden for my rocket attachment and put some primer on the thing after sanding it... lets hope it works out :)

since nobody here knows anything about Boba Fett, I thought I'd just post a comparisson pic so you all know what I painted... it's called a jet pack... ;) :jet pack:p

comparisson.jpg

In order to make the rocket fit nicely, I had to dremmel the launcher pad out, and put some kit in the rocket to keep it from slip slidin' away on the pvc pipe...

now the rocket is sanded, primed and has basic colours on it... I think I'll leave it this way... ;) uhw.. maybe not..

rocket attachment holes.JPG

then on to some black misting....

then afterwards redo the silver scratches an wash on the red and gold and silver a little to get the colours back again, but now they look like rusted/iron parts.

rocket black misted.JPG

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back