Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #1

These should be sweet,since the jet pack is phoenomenal!!

Steve
  2. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #2

Thanx for the kind words Steve:] I am real happy with the way my ESB pack has turned out. It is NOT as heavy as I had mentioned earlier but it is much steardier than most, Richie has re-enforced the interior with a wood frame and combined with the fiberglass it is very comfortable and has a beautiful shape.
  3. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #3

Quote:Man, Tylerdurden, you've almost pushed me back into ESB mode!
    http://TK1028.homestead.com/files/LeftGreeblies.jpg
    Yes, yes, come back to ESB- muhahahahahha....

Wow, I didn't check back on this thread and there have been interesting developments!

4. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #4

Hey Steve,
    Even funnier, is that I based my model off of the estimation that the center rods (spines if you will) are 1/4" in diameter just like you thought.
    If you have any more info on the brackets, I'd love to add them to my model and pump out some more images (with dimensions too for those who want to construct some that look like this)

-Dana
  5. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #5

I think the alignment of the spines,and overall shape give a perfect representation of it personally.There looks to be the right amount of room for the larger peices to be slid down onto the spines that will reveal the final shape.

As for mounting holes,as long as those who got one of the brackets had a drill press they could punch in the holes to correspond to their individual gauntlets since their are sooo many different ones that have been made over the years.I for one would rather have it with the holes made for only the spines just to be safe.

Steve
  6. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #6

How about cross-drilled holes to tighten a set screw against the spine rods on the mounting side of the bracket? And you can put in your own holes for mounting to the gauntlet. If the only holes you want are through the bracket for the spines that is no problem .
  7. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #7

A perfect solution

8. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #8

Her are some pics for the Rods I'm designing. I included the bracket, calc pad and glove for scale. The thinnest section of rod is 1/4" the thickest is 3/4" most are around 5/16" to 1/2". The tip of the longest rod to the top of the bracket is 5.5" long. I am working on the three cylinders behind the bracket and am figuring 1.5" for those and another 1" for the endcap. In total the overall length will be 8.5625" or 8 9/16". I'll update the pics when I get the back cylinders drawn up.There appears to be some conflicting things in the various pics so I tried to homogenize what I thought the discrepncies were into this design (they could be just shadows and what not).Suggestions how about porportions etc.? -Mark

9. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #9

Here is the same drawing as above with the middle rods endcaps and some extra detail. Obviously the extra detail is made up but I tried my best to replicate what you can see in the pics. Total length is 8 9/16".What do you think? I need some feedback. -Mark

10. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #10

Mark,I think you've gotten what NO ONE else has ever acheived with regards to the ESB flame thrower assembly!!!! I've seen alot of ESB Fetts in 2 years,and NONE have gotten this important detail done well enough to my standards.While I've been doing yardwork by daylight,you've done the hard work for us all The last thing is the rear bracket.In the pics I have it looks like it might be 1 1/2" angle aluminum,but then the top section has what appears to be a 45degree angle on it.I know that might sound like greek,.....maybe I'll have to email you what I mean by outlining in on a pic in red.

Steve
  11. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #11

Just thought of it as a block with some nobs on top similar to the collar ones. It looks like there are 4 slots near the top of the block and 1 large keyhole directly in the back. Send or post pics. How about my interpretation of the rods with the different grooves? And can you compare the length of the setup to a set of gauntlets. Remember to leave room for the three wires out the back. -Mark
  12. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #12

I'm in the final stages of my armor with assembly,and acquisition.I've begun alot of picture research with regard to the ESB gauntlets,to try and make them as accurate as I can.

The right gauntlet can be easily seen in the Action Figure archive for all pertinent details for replication.

However the left gauntlet can be seen in many different shots,BUT the *3* long rods of varrying length can be seen,but not from a good side angle.I've gotten it down to where I can clearly see the dental expander,the calc. pad,the rocket colors,although it's design seems a bit different from ROTJ,but I can't confirm it.AND protruding from the *3* long rods are 3 wires that attach to each one at the rear of them,and tuck into the gauntlet via. access hole.The top wire is WHITE,the middle wire is RED,the bottom wire is BLACK.The rods seem to be attached with a minimum of *2* brackets,one at the mid-point,and one at the rear.They are aluminum,but there seems to be something else around the mid-point that is attached to the gauntlet itself,and it/they are black.

***What is it,or what could it be????

The color of the rods varries also.There is a neon orange,black,and silver theme to each of them,which I have my theories on how it looks.All three rods look like they are 1/4" aluminum rods with parts slid down onto them,and painted inbetween.This is how I intend on replicating mine.

***Does anyone have any other theories as to the color scheme?

I know that I'm not alone in my quest to replicate an accurate ESB costume currently so perhaps some others who are doing so might be able to share any of their discoveries,or help fine tune some of mine.

Steve
  13. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #13

Which ESB suit? The Green movie version? I know there were some additional parts on the left gauntlet , but I'm not sure I know what parts you are referring to.
  14. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #14

That is the best pic I have seen!!! I am talking 'bout the last pic now...it does appear that there are three wires that extend out from butt end of the flame thrower. They do make sense as far as design, if you refer to the marmit fig you can see that there is a metal piece that finishes off the FT and also provides a connection to the three rods that extend forward as the primary design. I have finished my ESB flame thrower based on the marmit figure but NOW I need to go back and add the three wires...THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU for the pic, Mesa so happy now:] I knew that there was something at the end but I just could'nt nail it down. Once I have added the wires I will post a pick for everyone.
  15. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #15

mesaback.... do you have marmit fett?
    if you have it, mind to post pics of left gaunlet detail?

thank you
    rid
  16. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #16

Hey Rid, Dustin Crops Boy helped me out a while back...I don't think that he would mind posting a pic of it on the board. I will drop him a line:]
    Steve, can you be specific as to how you determined that there may be an orange color placed somewhere along these rods? To the best of my research I have figured the colors to be red and black.
  17. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #17

As far as the color orange goes,in the bottom pic that "tyler" posted the color of some of the rod is orange in contrast to the clearly represented red on the cluster of three wires.However in some pics the color appears to be a reddish,but only in some.The color is more of a "Hugger Orange",.....can be confused as red,......kinda like the "General Lee #01 (OK corny example) where it looks more red depending on lighting conditions.In the Action Figure Archive it also appears to be orange,and black..........to me.

I was aware of there being a flamethrower on ONLY the Pre-Pro suit.?.?.?.?.......,and the double laser being on the ROTJ suit.That is why I'm trying to nail the ESB left gauntlet.If there is a traditional flamethrower on the ESB suit with the classic coiled wire up the rod then PLEASE let's see some pics,as I must have missed this pertinent detail.OR if the rods on the ESB suit are "supposed" to be a flamethrower,that I can live with

mesaback,what exactly did DCB help you with? Was it the construction of your ESB suit,or some specific parts? Any word on how you got the decal he posted in the negative to print?

Steve
  18. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #18

Man, Tylerdurden, you've almost pushed me back into ESB mode!
    http://TK1028.homestead.com/files/LeftGreeblies.jpg
  19. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #19

Oh yah, now I can pick out the orange hue near the front of the thrower. Steve, DCB made a print of his marmit fett's gauntlet on his scanner and that is what I have used as a reference. DCB pulled the Fett helmet image off of Brak's Fett cd and came up with the best graphic of it and made a print, then I just painted that graphic on my jet pack. As far as the ESB and ROTJ flame throwers being one and the same...I can find no sign of a connection. My guess is that they are completely different flame throwers...the ESB version does not have the coil action...thus a different design.
  20. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #20

My thoughts exactly on the flamethrower I was beginning to think I had slept through an important discussion or something.

Could you email me a pic of the jet pack decal?? smr6971@prodigy.net

Steve
  21. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #21

Sure thing Steve...I will talk to Dallas 'bout bring my jet pack by his place and he can take a shot of it and either send it your way or post it on the board. I was just over there last night adding the wires to the back side of my flame thrower...looks real nice:]
  22. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #22

Man if we got all our stuff together we'd have a slammin' ESB costume,your armor,and all my soft part details,belts,sidearm,boots,etc.

We'll get 'em done eventually I'd greatly appreciate it if you could indeed get me a nice pic of that decal.Have Dallas shoot a couple of extra shots of your gauntlets too,for further reference

Steve
  23. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #23

This is the next project I've been kicking around now my calc pad is finished. The idea I have for this component is to take 3 1/4" aluminum rods of varying lengths. Then, machine the various sections out of seperate pieces of aluminum and brass with a 1/4" hole through the center. Next, slide the sections onto the rod and securing them in place with a set screw. In other words, the rods are the spine and the various sections are vertebrae. The sections or vertebrae are adjustable and removable. Obviously this is going to be a hard section of the suit to nail down because of lack of pics/info. A certain degree of improvisation will have to be done. But, with the method I propose you can switch it around or rework components as needed or if new information comes down the line. What do you think? -Mark
  24. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #24

I think that is exactly what I had said I was going to do in another thread somewhere else I already have the 1/4" aluminum rod,and the bracket aluminum I'm going to use for attaching it to the gauntlet.

I was going to use 1/4" brass plumbing fittings of various styles to achieve the particular look I'm after.It'll be infinitely cheaper than having the pieces machined since I don't have a metal lathe at my disposal

The love/hate thing about the ESB suit is that it leaves a little room for creativity,but only because of lack of good enough reference pics.In any case it's still my favorite version.
  25. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 13, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: ESB gauntlets,.... let's make 'em accurate #25

Who's interested in making this an active project? This weekend I'll make some preliminary drawings and post them. I'll try to make them as close as I can to the above photos and what is on the Ref CD. I'll be making the items based on the concept I mentioned in my earlier post. But I would like some feedback on my drawings and additional ideas or drawings of your own. In the end if you don't want machined components due to price or whatever, you can at least have some drawings to find comparable plumbing fittings.

Left Gauntlet Side Detail Inventory:
    3 appx 1/4" dia rods of various lengths (spines)
    2 mounting blocks with through holes for mounting rods
    1 endcap not yet determined origin
    Sections of wire in red and black
    Various segments to fit over rods. Size and quantity to be determined (vertebrae)

Any other components to add to the list