ESB Fett Pre-Submission Thread (Pic Heavy)

From
    Marietta, Ga

ESB Fett Pre-Submission Thread (Pic Heavy)

Hey Denters!
    This has been my baby for the last three years or so and it's finally coming to completion! I wanted to post up a thread for some critique before I submit my application to the Legion and Mercs, don't be afraid to be harsh. The centerpiece of the costume, the helmet, is still away on commission so these shots feature my Jodo Kast helmet.

The things I have noticed so far are:
    -Need additional weathering on the hanging pouches
    -Need additional weathering on my flak vest and neckseal
    -Extra dent and scratch on my chest plate that belong on the ROTJ costume (did these when I was a TDH noob)
    -Missing one toespike

Thanks for your comments and critique
    Regards,
    Austin

Last edited by BobaFiend; May 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM.

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

Re: ESB Fett Pre-Submission Thread (Pic Heavy)

Looks close...
    I think your gloves are to dark, you need to change the hose that attaches to the right gaunt to a more "clear" type.
    You need to weather the whole jump suit.. cause your belly area sticks out like a sore thumb just take a good look at your pics... you will see ALL the areas that are too clean.
    The stalk on you blaster is to light in color for my taste and you need to weather your sidearm.
    also girth is too brown.. you need to buy a white one and dye it the right color.

I don't know if its just me but you jumpsuit looks grey above your waist and more bluish below.

hope it helps.

From
    Marietta, Ga

Sixxgunn13 said: View Post
    I think your gloves are to dark
    Right you are, they did go a little long on in the dye bath. I'll put that on the list to upgrade when I can but I'm happy with them for now.

you need to change the hose that attaches to the right gaunt to a more "clear" type.
    Good catch. The hose was originally clear and the shoe polish I tried to age it with went a bit over the top. I'll replace that.

You need to weather the whole jump suit.. cause your belly area sticks out like a sore thumb just take a good look at your pics... you will see ALL the areas that are too clean.
    I'll make sure to dirty those parts up too. I definitely see what you mean.

The stalk on you blaster is to light in color for my taste and you need to weather your sidearm.
    Are you talking about the stock of my EE-3? The sidearm has been weathered a bit but the flash washed it all out. I'll have to give it a heavier wash.

also girth is too brown.. you need to buy a white one and dye it the right color.
    Right again, I bought this early in my Fett journey. I think it will do for now but I'll need one with more ESB red tones in the future.

I don't know if its just me but your jumpsuit looks grey above your waist and more bluish below.
    The upper sleeves are the same material as the lower legs, just need to spread the weathering more evenly. The red tones of the brown pastel I used on the sleeves probably make them look more gray when mixed with the blue.

Thanks for all your advice, it was very helpful!

From
    Jersey, Channel Islands, UK

Nice pics mate.
    I said on your thread over on the RPF that your jumpsuit needed more weathering. As you stated I was wrong, your jumpsuit has plenty weathering. Nice job.
    Besides what has been said I would add that your chest armor looks to be sat too far apart. In ESB fetts two 'pec' parts pretty much touch where the diamond piece is.
    I'd also blacken up your boots more, especially on the soles. If you look at the Bespin hallway shots fetts boots are really dark, almost entirely black.
    Your also missing the 2 white and one red wires that go from the back of the flamwthrower into the gauntlet. When I applied for clearance they really gave me a hard time about making sure they were right so now I never forget them. ;P

Nice one bud.

From
    Darwin River Northern Territory

looks good to me, great paint work, good to see some people have more of a keen eye than have,
    great work there man

From
    Marietta, Ga

Redtogusa said: View Post
    Nice pics mate.
    I said on your thread over on the RPF that your jumpsuit needed more weathering. As you stated I was wrong, your jumpsuit has plenty weathering. Nice job.
    Actually you were totally right. Thanks to your comment I took a good look at it and realized my sleeves were way too clean. I weathered them before these shots

Besides what has been said I would add that your chest armor looks to be sat too far apart. In ESB fetts two 'pec' parts pretty much touch where the diamond piece is.
    I agree that they aren't placed as close as Jeremy's but at this stage they aren't moving unfortunately. They attached to the vest via literally about 40 total snaps. The vest fits poorly and impairs my arm movement (it was inexpensive and not made for me originally) and the plates are only mostly accurate. I plan to upgrade this whole set for some RDK plates for V.2

I'd also blacken up your boots more, especially on the soles. If you look at the Bespin hallway shots fetts boots are really dark, almost entirely black.
    I'll go back and take a look at the photos. I think my soles could use some more dirt but I'm pretty happy with the canvas for now.

Your also missing the 2 white and one red wires that go from the back of the flamwthrower into the gauntlet. When I applied for clearance they really gave me a hard time about making sure they were right so now I never forget them. ;P
    Thanks, I'll make sure that ammend that before I apply. I also don't have any of the dental files on the gaunt/jetpack/helmet MQ-1. Will that be an issue?

I may be mistaken.. but I don't remember the butt strap being white?

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Well, dont know how much you care but the braids are a bit on the skimpy side. The white Braid is at least half sized...the material under the belly plate shouldnt really be there...again a little thing...looks like your having problems with the collar choking you? Is it attached to the vest? Had a similar problem with mine. The Pulce is a bit clean...not sure that it would be if the rest of the suit is so grimy It looks really good...these are just little things Id change/fix

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

One other thing...you want to get some material you would use for the visor...put it in between the chest display and the chest...you shouldnt see the electronics but just the lights through the Tinted plastic

From
    Marietta, Ga

Tempest said: View Post
    I may be mistaken.. but I don't remember the butt strap being white?
    Yeah it looks like it was shoddily dyed the same China Blue. I'll fix that

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Well, dont know how much you care but the braids are a bit on the skimpy side. The white Braid is at least half sized
    Now that's it's been pointed out it's on my 'eventually' upgrade list

the material under the belly plate shouldnt really be there...again a little thing...looks like your having problems with the collar choking you? Is it attached to the vest? Had a similar problem with mine.
    I hemmed the vest about three inches up from where it was already anyway, I'll probably sell the vest/ chest and shoulder combo when I get to V2. The collar isn't attached to my vest, just the backplate. It does ride up a little but it's not terrible. The shoulder pieces are just trimmed a bit too short. It's fine as long as my harness stays in place. Again, V2 this will be addressed. Besides, Jeremy was being strangled the whole time anyway :P

The Pulce is a bit clean...not sure that it would be if the rest of the suit is so grimy It looks really good...these are just little things Id change/fix
    Also on my 'eventually' list. It just stays in it's holster for the most part anyway

I'll take care of the chest display too, there's clear plastic there now.

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys and girls! They're making me a better Fett!

From
    Long Beach, CA

Looks good!!

Your weathering so far is fantastic. You may wanna lower the codpiece so u dont see the buttstrap at the front. The flightsuit is a tad too tight from what i see, but overall, a great build!!

From
    Marietta, Ga

Here's a few more shots of the improved weathering on the flightsuit and vest. These were done using ground up soft artists pastels in black and brown. I wet the garment by "painting" on water, stippled the pastel on, and then ground it in and blended it with another brush and more water.

I'm going to do some weathering on the sidearm today and take some application photos soon (maybe Monday when it's not 105 degrees outside)

Bright sunlight

Further away from light source

From
    Marietta, Ga

App submitted. We'll see how it goes!

Looks good man! Good luck!

From
    Murrieta CA

Looking good bro you should have no problem!!