I got my first costume approved by the 501st a couple months ago, and I thought I should really get Boba approved as well. I guess I really started this project the week before halloween, when I needed to get some ultra-light gauntlets together for my Halloween concert and costume ball. I had purchased a set of RKD vac-formed gauntlets about 9 months ago, with the intent of turning them into a lighter, trooping set of gauntlets. These became the base for this rebuild...
I had originally used all-plastic pieces for these gauntlets for the costume ball. Bic pen tips for the darts, plastic model sprue painted silver for the switches, and plastic model sprue for the dental files on the whipcord launcher. These are RKD's ROTJ gauntlets with his resin ROTJ whipcord launcher, resin gauntlet hose connector, and black resin greeblie piece. I cut the whipcord launcher so it was thinner and lower-profile, as seen on the ESB suit. Mojo machined gauntlet darts, Alco switches, Hedstrom dental files, and some hose from an old kitchen sprayer adorn it. I painted them silver with Tremclad, masked off the silver damage with some masking fluid, then sprayed Humbrol 76 for the colour. Before unmasking, I used an acrylic medium gray to weather and 'chip' the paint. The gauntlets still need to be weathered further, perhaps with a darker gray.
Being vac-formed, these gauntlets are ultra-light. Regular sticky-back Velcro closures were the perfect way to keep them shut. I hot-glued plenty of 6mm craft foam to help pad the wrists (they got really sore on Halloween with no padding).
Here's the left gauntlet, which is still a work-in-progress. CombatBaby's new aluminum flamethrower is almost finished getting painted. I'm letting the black harden and cure up before masking over it for the white paint. This thing is GORGEOUS!! Totally worth it! You can see two backing plates for the flamethrower: the original, which was cut out of 1/4" plate, and one I cut out of sheet aluminum (for weight considerations). I'm not sure which one I'll use yet.
The rocket you see is an all-metal one I bought from DarkSide last year. Really nice, but really heavy. I'm going to use a resin one I bought along with RKD's kit. It's in paint right now.
The dental expander is a beautiful cast metal one bought off a maker on Etsy. I think Matty Matt was the guy who found out about these nice little things. Just needs a coat of brass paint.
The calculator is RKD's resin cast version, which is totally worth getting. It's totally free of pits and bubble. Primer, silver, then a touch of clear red and blue.
Like the right gauntlet, this will still need more weathering.