Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 19, 2012, 12:01 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #51

Right. Unless you really want to drop that kind of jingle. Personally I'm hoping DV will get so into this that he starts selling resin casts. Maybe a one-time only run of 43 of them.
  2. Sep 19, 2012, 12:17 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #52

haha...well if i make em for me, i will of course offer them. No sense in making the mold just for me!

Hmmm..that sounds appealing....maybe the first 43 will be a "sale" price lol
    Sep 19, 2012, 9:17 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #53

I found the original thread of that blaster from 2008 that seven posted a link about, and DV posted a picture of. In that thread there's a second picture not shown in the RPF thread and there is no doubt what so ever that the teeth of the gear had been grinded down on that blaster. The edges are completely flat. But then again, it is still a replica although an insanely nice one.
    Sep 19, 2012, 11:30 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #54

The point I was trying to make when stating that there is only one 43 per kit is that you would need two 43s as it would seem from the HD photo (the one dv posted in his first post that I mentioned a few posts back) that there is a disc on each side. So you would need two kits.
  5. Sep 19, 2012, 12:14 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #55

Ah i see..this is true if your going for all original found parts. Since my webley is a cast im ok with castings of the part or using a casting on the "back" side and the actual part on the front. I did that with my am plugs..the back is a casting front is found items.
    Sep 20, 2012, 8:18 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #56

I don't agree on part 43, too many details are missing/incorrect/inconsistent across different pictures (also the central stub is much too tall).

How about this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breech Disc Comparison.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	63820

SAS
    Sep 20, 2012, 9:35 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #57

That looks really close Sidewinder. The only thing I see in the reference pics is a small raised rim around the very outside edge.
    Sep 20, 2012, 10:03 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #58

I think that's just differences in finish due to eg. paint wear.

SAS
    Sep 20, 2012, 3:41 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #59

Sidewinder--to me that does indeed look good based on the images we have. I am assuming that this is a part that you made, and not a found item correct?
    Sep 20, 2012, 3:53 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #60

Correct, made out of resin cylinder, turned on lathe. I suspect there may be one more large & small hole hidden by the conrod perhaps in a cross pattern with the visible ones.

SAS
  11. Sep 20, 2012, 4:51 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #61

That does look great Sidewinder. I actually had something like that i was making with just ABS sheet, much more crude, lol but basically i was trying to replicate what i saw.

I would love to know what that part really is though....assuming it is a found item. Looking at the replica you made there..it could be a metal gearlike part, possibly from a beltdrive turntable or something similar. It looks strangely like...something ive seen lol...just cant pinpoint it
    Sep 21, 2012, 9:26 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #62

That's not bad Sidewinder but what about the raised section in the centre of the disc that can clearly be seen in movie shots where the connecting rod is missing? Your disc looks to be almost completely flat. Check post 13 and it is clear that the raised section sits up quite a bit.

I thought you were firmly in the part 107 camp, what changed you mind?
    Sep 21, 2012, 9:59 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #63

I was 107 all the way mostly cos it fit nice in the space and looked good. This thread has clearly shown it's not part 107, however IMO it just as clearly demonstrates neither is it 43.
    So I created my custom part based on what I see in the clearer pics on here and voila - I personally don't like it, considering it to be a bit bland(& boring?) plus ill-fitting. I still prefer 107 but that's just my taste. Still, some folks will want what is considered accurate which is why I made it.

My creation does have a centre raised portion the conrod is fitted on, here's a pic alongside the 43gear. I could make the narrower section of the tower(that goes in the conrod's hole) taller by 1mm or so and still be below the face of the conrod hole's rim - it was only a 1st attempt.

Name:	Breech scratch;V8.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	63883

If you look at the ref pic top left of my collage you can see how close to the disc's surface the conrod is.

Using the 43gear as found pushes the conrod up too high:

Name:	107 breech.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	63884

SAS
    Last edited by Sidewinder; Sep 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
  14. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Sep 21, 2012, 10:08 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #64

I have to agree with Sidewinder on this.

I agree with the OP's observation that the fly wheel or whatever that part is that has been used in the past, is definitely NOT the part, but the toothed gear is not the part either. All you have to do is look at the two photos posted earlier in this thread to see that the disc has a large hole at the 12 o'clock position and a small hole at the 3 o'clock position, just as Sidewinder pointed out. It has virtually none of the markings of the toothed gear. In my opinion, this part has still yet to be found.

Quote Sidewinder said: View Post
    I don't agree on part 43, too many details are missing/incorrect/inconsistent across different pictures (also the central stub is much too tall).

How about this:

Name:	Breech Disc Comparison.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	63820

SAS
    Sep 21, 2012, 10:17 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #65

Quote Art Andrews said: View Post
    the disc has a large hole at the 12 o'clock position and a small hole at the 3 o'clock position
    While I don't have the benefit of having the part in had as intwenothor does, this has been my hangup with 43 as well, more so than even the teeth.

Can I ask what history we know (or surmise) about the origins of the ESB EE-3 and what happened to it later in life?
  16. Sep 21, 2012, 10:36 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #66

Hm..yea that is true Art. I just had the thought that the holes were filled in on the 43 gear and part of it had fallen out to expose partial holes. But in hind sight i guess that doesnt make sense as its more likely than not that these photos were taken before filming and id think ILM was good enough to use a filler that wouldnt fall out lol.

I will say though that the 43 gear is a good base to make a part that will work. Sidewinders part looks great though...once its the way you want, you should offer those buddy...id be in for a pair!
    Sep 21, 2012, 11:00 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #67

I was 107 all the way mostly cos it fit nice in the space and looked good. This thread has clearly shown it's not part 107, however IMO it just as clearly demonstrates neither is it 43.
    So I created my custom part based on what I see in the clearer pics on here and voila - I personally don't like it, considering it to be a bit bland(& boring?) plus ill-fitting. I still prefer 107 but that's just my taste. Still, some folks will want what is considered accurate which is why I made it.

My creation does have a centre raised portion the conrod is fitted on, here's a pic alongside the 43gear. I could make the narrower section of the tower(that goes in the conrod's hole) taller by 1mm or so and still be below the face of the conrod hole's rim - it was only a 1st attempt.

Name:	Breech scratch;V8.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	63883

If you look at the ref pic top left of my collage you can see how close to the disc's surface the conrod is.

Using the 43gear as found pushes the conrod up too high:

Name:	107 breech.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	63884

SAS
    I don't know. Looking at this picture ( Boba Fett Empire Strikes Back Costume - Bespin Hallway - The Dented Helmet Gallery ) it is a considerable distance between the conrod and the gun. It looks to me like the raised portion is sanded down in diameter to fit inside the conrod hole.

Name:	Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-Hallway-07.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	63885
    Sep 21, 2012, 11:42 AM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #68

IMO that pic just further confirms to me that i've got the height pretty close. The smaller diameter portion of my disc's stub does fit in the conrod hole - it's just a push fit. This means with my part you can have the conrod positioned as high/low as you prefer.

Unless anyone can bring further evidence of other details i'm happy with my part as it stands (i'll add a bit onto the small dia part of the stub) and will offer it as a kit option.

SAS
  19. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Sep 21, 2012, 1:58 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #69

Keep in mind that every greeblie we know about on the rifle is essentially unmodified. They are just found parts, slapped on. The chances of them filing off all the teeth and filling the holes on part #43 is quite a stretch. I am guessing it is simply from a part we haven't IDed yet.

Quote Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    Hm..yea that is true Art. I just had the thought that the holes were filled in on the 43 gear and part of it had fallen out to expose partial holes. But in hind sight i guess that doesnt make sense as its more likely than not that these photos were taken before filming and id think ILM was good enough to use a filler that wouldnt fall out lol.

I will say though that the 43 gear is a good base to make a part that will work. Sidewinders part looks great though...once its the way you want, you should offer those buddy...id be in for a pair!
  20. Sep 21, 2012, 2:46 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #70

in further hindsight, you are absolutely right Art. Why would they bother modding anything to that extent. they would have more liely just slapped it on there.

Sidewinder...i would love to get a set of those discs from you. LMk if thats possible thanks brothers. This is an interesting fun thread!
    Sep 21, 2012, 3:37 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #71

Will probably make a mold this weekend.

SAS
  22. Sep 21, 2012, 5:26 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #72

Will probably make a mold this weekend.

SAS
    Awesome! thanks man.
  23. Oct 4, 2012, 6:21 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #73

Just wanted to show you guys what this looks like on my blaster. Even though its not the found part, whatever it may be, this replica that Sidewinder has made is excellent!

Sep 21, 2014, 3:51 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #74

Necro!

No point in starting another but I have been looking at this some more.

Could the breach disc on the Webley be the visor attachment disc used on an old Police riot helmet - maybe the same type of helmet the chin cup came from? It's about the right size and with the nut has a raised centre and often has a couple of holes in the flat part.

Here's an example:
    Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM - Re: ESB EE3 Breach Greeblie(s). #75

Could be worth checking out if anyone has a spare riot helmet around from a previous chin cup purchase.