Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

ESB Boba Fett costume upgrades. Latest upgrade: Remodeling the mannequin

Account Deactivated

Re: My ESB Boba Fett costume in progress of upgrade. Many 'found' parts.

This looks great!
    Really good Fett, the chin strap looks spot on

From
    The Netherlands

kurtyboy said: View Post
    More upgrades though! Finally got a helmet with one of the correct chin cups today so I modified the straps to make them more accurate. I will re-do them properly once I get some more bits and pieces in.
    Very nice work and thanks so much for sharing!!

I still have my ESB project in progress and keeping an eye on this thread. Can you tell me where one could get one of these chin cups?

Rgrds,

Barry

Just need to keep hunting ebay for vintage riot police helmets until you find the right one. Pester the sellers for more details/photos of the chincups.

I don't believe you will find an accurate set of straps straight off the shelf though, looks like they were modifed for Fett but the modifications are very simple.

From
    Denver, CO

Appreciate all the photos..... also inspires me to keep tweaking mine...... he says as he removes keys off the keyboard....

I completely re-did the straps and d-rings for more accuracy and filled/re-drilled all holes for the ear cap screws. Also assembled a 'dummy' RF circuit. Most of this is not permenantly attached and some of it is just temporary until I get more parts in, but I just wanted to see how it looks so far.

I'm really happy with the way it is turning out and must mention that this is a joint UK/Australia effort with BGHunter.

More upgrades to come!

Last edited by kurtyboy; Jul 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM.

Re: My ESB Boba Fett costume in progress of upgrade. Working on the helmet interior n

Kurtyboy,

It's really coming together nicely! Congrats & keep it up!!

Re: My ESB Boba Fett costume in progress of upgrade. Working on the helmet interior n

Some more work on the helmet interior! Acrylic below the MQ1 board, lots of epoxy filler, hex bolts, washers, cheesehead screws, visor clips (still unfinished), and the main plastic ring of the helmet liner has been replaced with an accurate vintage one (again thank you BG Hunter )...

More still to come....

From
    Tatooine

How did you attach the helmet plastic ring to the top? I saw some the other day at the hardware store.. Thanks man! This'll be my blueprint for my helmet interior! awesome Job! Especially with the attachments of the T-visor!

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

KB u may want to somehow paint the black acrylic under the keyslots i dont think it was black or r u repainting the helmet? Also what r u using for epoxy putty? Im about to do some of this stuff as well, gonna want a list haha...but really looking GREAT

I haven't attached it yet, but you can see the hot glue on the ends of the black straps on the screen used ESB helmet.

Luis said: View Post
    How did you attach the helmet plastic ring to the top? I saw some the other day at the hardware store.. Thanks man! This'll be my blueprint for my helmet interior! awesome Job! Especially with the attachments of the T-visor!

I was led to believe that in ESB the acrylic was not painted. I used Miliput which is available in white and yellow. I may paint it to better match the original though.

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    KB u may want to somehow paint the black acrylic under the keyslots i dont think it was black or r u repainting the helmet? Also what r u using for epoxy putty? Im about to do some of this stuff as well, gonna want a list haha...but really looking GREAT

From
    USAF Utah

Boba Fett Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery

look at the AOSW pics, the mq1 and panel below it are painted under the keyslots

Doh!!!

From
    USAF Utah

I do like the miliput...I have some white stuff here...

I was able to break the yelloe Miliput off in almost a whole chunk, unfortunately I have just about every Floquil paint apart from boxcar red!

I mixed the white Miliput with some black paint to make it grey. Took a while to get it mixed evenly though.

From
    USAF Utah

Such an inspiration...would u have made any more of those boards?

From
    USAF Utah

I dont think it was a putty they used but an epoxy like gorilla glue or something that is a yellow tinted translucent substance...looking through the PP3 helmet pics right now and it seems like it was something more along those lines and alot of duct tape

I've only been collecting parts for one other person but tracking down most of the vintage components is a nightmare. Fortunately I had help from BG Hunter. Hopefully I can get someone to actually wire the board up to function correctly but failing that, I'll just get a self contained board for the RF topper and my board will just be for show.

From
    USAF Utah

Cool, yeh it looks pretty cool though, great job so far

From
    USAF Utah

how do u like the hard hat liner? Work well for holding the lid to your head? I have something way more present day, a liner from a helicopter helmet kinda like a kevlar liner but its a whole liner not pads

I couldn't find anything locally resembling the stuff in the original helmets. I vaguely remember an Araldite 2 part epoxy years ago that had a murky yellow finish but I couldn't find it and not sure exactly what it's called.

Although the helmet liner isn't fixed in place yet, it does give a perfect fit and with the chin straps it's very secure.

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    I dont think it was a putty they used but an epoxy like gorilla glue or something that is a yellow tinted translucent substance...looking through the PP3 helmet pics right now and it seems like it was something more along those lines and alot of duct tape

From
    USAF Utah

Very cool I want to get one of the liners as its got that airyness to it haha...

I think regular gorilla glue dries that yellow color Ima try it out this week...what did u use for the metal on the bottom of the visor? I found some thin guaged sheetmetal to cut for the upper braket

Which Gorilla glue are you referring to? They seem to make at least 3 or 4 different types. Can you post a link please? BG Hunter had the idea of using epoxy then once dry going over it with No Nails type of glue that dries yellow. Unfortunately for me the stuff over here seems to dry white!

Sskunky did a run of these helmet liners. I bought one of his but replaced the plastic ring with a vintage one.

I scaled the lower visor tabs to 2mm thick and 10mm wide. You can buy aluminium bar in most sizes on ebay. Just cut it to size, drill and tap the hole and bend to shape. I scaled the screws to M3 size brass cheesehead style.

From
    USAF Utah

Forgot about the bay...thanks for that reminder

Some more work. Really just need to attach the helmet liner and upper visor clips, trim the visor and replace one screw/nut and some washers. More parts on the way...