Subscribe
    Mar 12, 2015, 6:02 PM - ESB Armor Green Base Paint swatches (Humbrol / Model Master) #1

Anyone serious enough to search out the formula for the base green of the ESB armor has no doubt found the Humbrol 76 & 78 1:1 (slight heavy on 76).
    Has anyone else experimented with MM equivalents? I'm always looking to find local source for supplies, and the hobby shop I frequent carries a good selection of MM paints, as well as decent Tamiya and testors. It should be noted that I prefer (and always try) to use enamels or acrylics. Anyway, I swatched up a Humbrol 76 and 78 next to a few MM paints...
    The 76 is dangerously close to mm Euro Dark Green, and mm panzer olivegrun. the 78 is close to and RAG (Russian armor green) and rlm 62 (grun).

I know ive seen some swatch comparison threads... has anyone else compared these colors?
    Last edited by MLS; Mar 12, 2015 at 6:34 PM.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Mar 13, 2015, 8:12 PM - Re: ESB Armor Green Base Paint swatches (Humbrol / Model Master) #2

I have used the panzer olive grun MM for ESB before...i found it somewhere between the spruce green rattlecan and the 78+76 mix. I do favor the Humbrol mix though, and since i get my humbrols and MM form the same place, it doesn't really matter for availability in my case. I do however like working with the MM paints better, thinned a little bit they are very close to the beloved Floquils i really liked. Ive used euro dark green for ROTJ in the past.

I have been wanting to figure out a good MM mix to match that tone i get with the 78+76 mix, but havent had the time or money to just buy random paints to try out. Once i can do that though, i will, even though someone may beat me to it lol.
    Mar 14, 2015, 12:27 AM - Re: ESB Armor Green Base Paint swatches (Humbrol / Model Master) #3

I've got a ton of different greens. I'll try a few mixes after I get the esb set I'm working on done.
    Mar 14, 2015, 4:37 AM - Re: ESB Armor Green Base Paint swatches (Humbrol / Model Master) #4

Hi MLS,
    I've never really tried Humbrols for Fett-related work, although I have used them on other prop projects.
    This part of your post made me curious:

Quote MLS said: View Post
    . . .The 76 is dangerously close to mm Euro Dark Green, and mm panzer olivegrun. . .
    Are you saying that the 76 is close to both of those MM colors? Because the Euro and the POG are pretty different looking.
    Mar 14, 2015, 4:50 AM - Re: ESB Armor Green Base Paint swatches (Humbrol / Model Master) #5

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    Hi MLS,
    I've never really tried Humbrols for Fett-related work, although I have used them on other prop projects.
    This part of your post made me curious:

Are you saying that the 76 is close to both of those MM colors? Because the Euro and the POG are pretty different looking.
    Youre right SJ,
    I actually made another set of swatches yesterday after i posted. Youre right on both counts. The EDG is much darker than I previously thought. The POG has more of an olive look to it than the 76, which appears to have more blue in it than POG.
    Mar 14, 2015, 10:34 AM - Re: ESB Armor Green Base Paint swatches (Humbrol / Model Master) #6

Ah, OK. I've used the Euro Dk Green and the POG many times before, so I was just wondering about that.