Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Jul 10, 2012, 10:09 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #26

Thanks.

Now that you mention it, yes, the branded eye piece does taper a little bit different than the sussex. And it's made of plastic. My sussex is metal (aluminium?)

The unbranded eye piece feels like metal, but it's so tightly screwed on I can't get it off to check. It does not have the same lip and is completely smooth all the way back. The lens is screw in as an inset, rather than a "add on", explaining the lack of that lip. The windage knobs also seem to be positioned circa 5 mm further towards the front of the scope (the unbranded end).
    Jul 10, 2012, 10:23 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #27

Thanks, I thought it might have been plastic. How does the knurled rings compare? It's hard for me to tell but it looks.......... fatter possibly or sits higher from the branded eyepiece? It's hard for me to tell but obviously I don't have the two scopes to compare.

I didn't notice the positioning of the windage block at all.

With the unbranded piece do you mena that it sits entirely flush to the tube where the two meet? I'm a bit confused... which isn't difficult. Really.
    Jul 10, 2012, 10:33 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #28

Quote intwenothor said: View Post
    Thanks, I thought it might have been plastic. How does the knurled rings compare? It's hard for me to tell but it looks.......... fatter possibly or sits higher from the branded eyepiece? It's hard for me to tell but obviously I don't have the two scopes to compare.

I didn't notice the positioning of the windage block at all.

With the unbranded piece do you mena that it sits entirely flush to the tube where the two meet? I'm a bit confused... which isn't difficult. Really.
    The knurled ring used to adjust the branded eye piece is slightl different in how the knurles are. They are slightly longer, and the ring as a whole is maybe -1 mm longer in total.

No, the unbranded eye piece is a separate piece, but the forward lens is screwed in inside the eye piece, rather than as a separate "stage" creating that extra ring you mentioned.
    Jul 10, 2012, 10:37 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #29

Thanks. I'm not sure the windage blocks look off. Couldn't tell without comparing the different scopes together. Appear to be right to me though.
    Jul 10, 2012, 10:49 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #30

The sussex windage knob unit is 1 mm longer, at 31 mm total lenght, vs 30 mm on the hunter. The knobs are identical though.
    Jul 10, 2012, 11:14 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #31

How did it come to this?
    Jul 10, 2012, 11:22 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #32

Dunno!
    Jul 10, 2012, 11:30 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #33

My girlfriends eyes glaze over instantly. In fact, I'm amazed she's still around.
    Jul 10, 2012, 11:38 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #34

Well, Im sure things like that goes both ways.
  10. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jul 10, 2012, 5:43 PM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #35

Using the terms Objective lens and Eyepiece might clear things up a bit

So, putting aside the crazy scope prices, what are the other bits likely to cost? Especially the Webley, that seems to be the hardest to find and therefore price.

Some great info here, I take my hat off to you all for your attention to detail.

propmaster
    Jul 11, 2012, 1:30 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #36

Quote propmaster said: View Post
    Using the terms Objective lens and Eyepiece might clear things up a bit

So, putting aside the crazy scope prices, what are the other bits likely to cost? Especially the Webley, that seems to be the hardest to find and therefore price.

Some great info here, I take my hat off to you all for your attention to detail.

propmaster
    A reasonable point about objective lens and eyepiece, the reason I haven't used these terms is because on the prop the scope is mounted backwards and sometimes confuses the issue as to which piece is being referred to. Even accepting that this renders the scope unusable it therefore means that the branded eyepiece is pointed toward the 'object'. By referring to the 'branded eyepiece' there can be less confusion. Only one end has writing on it. Add in the factor that the correct name for something is often not the name generally understood by people on the boards whom may know it by an entirely different name. It gets even more confusing where some bits (of bits) are called by their real names and some bit are known by their prop names.

With regard to your question about the Webley; price will depend greatly on where in the world you live. My internet searches indicate there are more available in the US than my native England, although this may mean acquiring one of the Nickel plated police baton round guns. More than price I would look to availability and that will inform your concept of price. I direct you to Odiwan72's wtb thread in the cargo hold. He's been looking for ten years. I looked casually for a couple and then spent three years really actively searching, which included scouring car boot sales, antiques fairs, military shows and fairs as well as the normal internet searches. I'm talking a serious investment of time and driving all over the country trying to track one down. If someone like Odiwan72 has been looking for ten years and the two of you ended up in a bidding war over the same Webley then who's to say how far each would go. You might be thinking, assuming you've only just started looking; 'Wow I thought it'd take longer for one to come up' where as he might be thinking 'Ten years, I must have it'. I'm not ashamed to say that in my case I spent a fortune to acquire mine and I consider it money well spent. It cost me the same amount of money as I spent on my MR Millenium Falcon, albeit I bpought that when first released and prices hadn't reached anywhere near today's fever pitch. In the end it was the persistance that won through. My advice is that if you really want one and one becomes available to you then you should go all out to get it. In order to make it more attainable consider the following; I started saving after the first couple of years of having no luck, once I had realised how difficult one would be to obtain. I kept saving until I had saved a lot of money and my budget for one kept creeping higher and higher as more money was saved - that was what I was saving for. When one became available I had the money ready there and then to go and could have bid any sane person who wasn't obscenely rich out of the park. I got my prize and still had plenty of saved money left over.
    Last edited by intwenothor; Jul 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM. Reason: Only on smartphone before (and spelling and grammar).
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jul 15, 2012, 3:26 PM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #37

Thanks intwenothor, this might now be a slightly longer term plan than originally envisaged. Still, I'm pretty good at hunting down random stuff so this will efinitely be fun/obsessive.

propmaster
    Jul 20, 2012, 10:55 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #38

Sigh...... Here I go again.

Another one for your consideration. I bought this from eBay this week. It was about 30. The reason I really wanted to have a look at it was because it was new 'old' stock. Exactly as it would have been when sold over thirty years ago. It came boxed and with instructions and came with the hero/receiver rings with the tall feet/pads/mounts attached. Both my ASI and my Sussex came with a one piece mount (pictured below) and I took the rings and feet from other scopes. The only other ASI 4 x 20 and Sussex 4 x 20 I have seen for sale on eBay in the last six months also came with the same type of one piece mount (including a Sussex that came boxed - wish I'd bought it now) although I am sure there are boxed ASI's out there that came with the correct mounts and rings I have yet to see one.

Anyway............................................

The Milbro 4 x 20.

Comparison to the ASI. I have not compared to my Sussex as it is identical to my ASI. The Milbro is always on the right (except in the picture where it is clearly on the left).

Eyepiece comparison. Way line symbol present. The eyepiece on the Milbro is definitely plastic. The ASI is definitely Metal.

Knurled ring comparison. The Mibro knurled ring is clearly slightly bigger in the grooved section. This reminds so much of Locitus' Hunter 4 x 20 it is uncanny.

Windage Block et al. Same.

Unbrande eyepice (objective end - Just for you propmaster). ASI on top. There is a slight difference in shape here. I think the Milbro starts to taper slightly sooner that the ASI.

Comparison of where unbranded eyepiece meets tube. Less of a 'lip' on the Milbro but there is still one there.

Together.......

Mounted on a replica prop and painted and weathered so that the light wouldn't betray the fractionally different dimensions and I wouldn't be able to tell them apart without a very close examination and I'd find it next to impossible if I could only look at pictures.

Lastly, a picture of the type of single piece mount that I got on both my ASI and Sussex

I think that the Milbro looks a lot like Locitus' Hunter 4 x 20 and is definitely one to add to the list for consideration along with the usual suspects. I now make that to be:

ASI 4 x 20 Scope
    Sussex Armoury 4 x 20 Scope
    Hunter 4 x 20 Scope
    Milbro 4 x 20 scope
    'Jason' Scope? - I have never seen or heard of one of these but I am sure I have read 'Jason' referenced with the Master Replicas recreation of the ROTJ EE3.

and of course....... the Vintage part bashed Frankenscope.

I have also edited some earlier posts - most notably post 15 in order to contain more helpful information for those trying to track down the correct hero/receiver rings and tall feet. The edits are easy to find.

Andy
    Last edited by intwenothor; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
  14. Turrican is offline Turrican
    Jul 20, 2012, 1:28 PM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #39

The B.S.A 4x20 Scope looks close to the one which was mounted on the Short Range SE 14 R.
    Would like to get a resin copy from that one :-)
    Jul 20, 2012, 1:39 PM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #40

I'm no expert but I thought that was an Original Model 7 4x20 scope.
    Jul 20, 2012, 2:15 PM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #41

Yeah, that looks a lot like my hunters scope!
  17. Turrican is offline Turrican
    Jul 21, 2012, 12:41 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #42

I'm no expert but I thought that was an Original Model 7 4x20 scope.
    You mean for the short range? Never heard of it, do you have some pic's?
    Jul 21, 2012, 9:28 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #43

Not at the moment but I just did some research and I'm wrong anyway, the model 7 is used on Dr Evazan's blaster. I've looked at some pictures of the SE 14 R and whatever is on that thing does not look like my BSA, the elevation screw caps are totally dissimilar and instantly noticeable to me as well as other differences. Lonepigeon might be the best person to ask.
    Jul 21, 2012, 9:45 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #44

Quote locitus said: View Post
    Yeah, that looks a lot like my hunters scope!
    Yeah, I really think so too. Now that I've seen this one I still think you might be missing a bit from
    The unbranded eyepiece.
  20. Turrican is offline Turrican
    Jul 22, 2012, 3:34 AM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #45

Not at the moment but I just did some research and I'm wrong anyway, the model 7 is used on Dr Evazan's blaster. I've looked at some pictures of the SE 14 R and whatever is on that thing does not look like my BSA, the elevation screw caps are totally dissimilar and instantly noticeable to me as well as other differences. Lonepigeon might be the best person to ask.
    Well if you should ever think on selling the B.S.A., remind me ,please :-)
    I also asked Lonepigeon on the RPF a year ago because of this scope, he also not knows it.
    Seems to be a very rare scope, or a selfbuild.
    Aug 24, 2012, 5:17 PM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #46

Hey guys, were any of you the winner (or seller) of this:

A.S.I. 4x20 IMAGE MOVING VINTAGE SCOPE TALL MOUNTS A S I 4 x 20 SIGHT | eBay

If yes, then could you let me know if the branded eyepiece is plastic, looks like it might be? Some pictures would be great.

Andy
    Jul 7, 2013, 2:40 PM - Re: EE3 scope. An alternative to the ASI. Vintage part bashing. Pic heavy. #47

Frankenscope parts list.

Having spent considerable time looking at the EE3 scope I have come to realise that in my original Frankenscope search I acquired some useful information that might benefit others that wasn’t included in the thread. Many of you will be aware that the wiki contains the names of several brands that used identical parts to the correct models in the 1970’s and here I have listed some of the different models that you might seek out if you are constructing a Frankenscope that I have either owned or seen in my scope search. Once again I’ve listed the known correct readymade scopes at the top for the sake of completeness. Please refer to my other Scope and scope ring thread for full information, which also includes the terms of reference to parts and types and should be consulted regarding known original scope types.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/e...g-types-46703/

Remember that the proper complete scopes feature the infinity symbol, so don’t rush into a purchase of a correct brand 4x20 but that features the incorrect symbol. I have seen numerous ASI and Milbro that feature the incorrect symbol and these are the wrong scope (some are listed below). included in the list are some rare and valuable scopes in their own right and it might be better to consider keeping those whole and selling on to offset against the cost of a real complete scope rather than butchering for a Frankenscope, however they are included as they do work. The list isn’t exhaustive and I’ll add to it if I find other or if others point the way. The scopes listed are based on the known original conditions.

Factual corrections are welcome, as always.

Best

Andy

Scopes that are complete and include correct receiver rings and tall feet:

Hunter 4x20 (infinity symbol). This is the only scope I have found in the original condition with correct type 2 eyepiece AND correct receiver rings with tall feet. Based on the available evidence I believe this is the most likely to be the actual correct scope used on the ESB prop.
    Jason 4x20 (symbol unknown but possibly and probably infinity if present). I've never seen one of these in person but believe it came as the Hunter above in Type 2. As a US brand and not available in the UK this is very unlikely to be the correct model used on the ESB prop.
    Milbro 4x20 (infinity symbol).
    Rhino 4x20 (infinity symbol).

Scopes that are correct but feature incorrect mounts:

ASI 4x20 (infinity symbol). Comes with type D single piece mount.
    BSA 4x20 (infinity symbol). Comes with rail attached. Unknown if rail is factory or buyer fitted.
    Milbro 4x20 (infinity symbol). Come with type B two piece receiver rings and type B Short feet (meaing I have seen them with both the tall and short feet).
    Sussex Armoury 4x20 (infinity symbol). Comes with type C single piece mount.
    Webley and Scott 4x20 (infinity symbol). Comes with type C single piece mount.

Correct Eyepieces.

ASI 4x15 (infinity symbol). Comes in type 1 metal and type 2 plastic.
    Crosman 4x15 (infinity symbol). Comes in type 1 metal.
    Kassnar 4x15 (infinity symbol). Comes in type 1 metal.
    Milbro 4x15 (infinity symbol). Comes in type 1 metal and type 2 plastic.
    Webley and Scott 4x15 (infinity symbol). Comes in type 1 metal and type 2 plastic.
    World Famous 4x15 (infinity symbol). Comes in type 1 metal.
    These six scopes are identical but for the mounts.

Acceptable Eyepieces.

These very similar to the correct eyepieces and would be indistinguishable on an assembled and weathered scope.
    Relum 4x15 (S in circle symbol).
    Nikko Stirling Cadet 4x15.
    Original Model 9 4x20 (S in circle symbol).
    Tasco 4x20 '#605V' (R in circle symbol).

Locking Rings

ASI 4x15 (infinity symbol).
    Bushnell Sportview 4x15 (no symbol).
    Crosman 4x15 (infinity symbol).
    Glenfield 4x15 200B (R in horizontal diamond symbol).
    Kassnar 4x15 (infinity symbol).
    Milbro 4x15 (infinity symbol).
    Webley and Scott 4x15 (infinity symbol).
    Webley and Scott 4x15 (E in vertical diamond symbol).
    World Famous 4x15 (infinity symbol).
    Tasco 4x20 '#605V' (R in circle symbol).

Tubes.

Nikko Stirling Mountie 4x20 (No symbo, gold lettering).
    Nikko Stirling Mountie 4x20 (No symbol, white and orange lettering).
    Original Model 7 4x20 (No symbol but identical to S in circle symbol ‘long’ version).
    Original Model 7 4x20 (S in circle symbol ‘long’ version).
    Original Model 7 4x20 (S in circle symbol ‘short’ version).

Saddle, windage and elevation screws and caps.
    Universal Standard 4x15 (symbol unknown).

Objective Bell.

This is the hardest part to get right and I’ve only seen three scopes with the correct bell with lip that isn’t one of the proper complete scopes listed above. The second two would be correct complete scopes if not for the permanent presence of incorrect mounts. I suppose it might be possible to correct them.
    ASI 3-9x20 (Symbol unknown, possible infinity).
    ASI 4x20 (infinity symbol with scope rail attached mount attached).
    ASI 4x20 (infinity symbol and very tall feet attached).

Acceptable Objective Bells.

Nikko Stirling Mountie 4x20 (No symbol, gold lettering).
    Nikko Stirling Mountie 4x20 (No symbol, white and orange lettering).
    Original Model 7 4x20 (No symbol but identical to S in circle symbol ‘long’ version).
    Original Model 9 4x20 (S in circle symbol).
    Rhino Model R204 4x20 (S in circle symbol). This is the same as the 'Long' Original Model 7s.
    Sussex Armoury 4x20 (S in circle symbol). This is the same as the 'Long' Original Model 7s.
    Zenisson 4x20 (S in circle symbol). This is the same as the 'Long' Original Model 7s.

Type A receiver rings with tall feet.

BSA 1958 4x20 (no symbol). Will ascertain ‘Mk’ model.
    Milbro 4x20 (symbol unknown – long eyepiece and does not have additional screws to affix saddle, windage and elevation screws to tube almost as if it were a 4x20 version of the Webley and Scott 4x15 'E in vertical diamond symbol' scope).

Type B receiver rings with short feet.

ASI 4x20 (E in vertical diamond symbol)
    ASI 4x20 (S in circle symbol – same as ‘short’ version Original Model 7 4x20).
    ASI 4x20 (Y in equilateral triangle symbol)
    Milbro 4x20 (infinity symbol).
    Nikko Stirling Mountie 4x20 (No symbol, gold lettering).
    Nikko Stirling Mountie 4x20 (No symbo, white and orange lettering).
    Original Model 7 4x20 (S in circle symbol ‘short’ version).
    Original Model 7 4x20 (S in circle symbol ‘squat’ version).
    Original Model 7 4x20 (No symbol but identical to S in circle symbol ‘squat’ version).
    Rhino Model R204 4x20 (S in circle symbol). This is the same as the 'Long' Original Model 7s.

Type C mount to be cut for ROTJ stunt mounts.

Bushnell Sportview 4x15 (no symbol).
    Glenfield 4x15 200B (R in horizontal diamond symbol).
    Sussex Armoury 4x20 (infinity symbol).
    Sussex Armoury 4x20 (S in circle symbol). This is the same as the 'Long' Original Model 7s.
    Universal Standard 4x15 (symbol unknown).
    Webley and Scott 4x20 (Infinity symbol).
    Last edited by intwenothor; Feb 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM.