Alright... We're all quite psyched about the new SW7 trailer, but Boba Fett wasn't in it so "Move along, move along..." :-).
My EE-3 being finally finished i thought why not making a build thread for it as i haven't seen even one around. Here's a pic of all the different parts from my Sidewinder kit. The kit's accuracy is pretty amazing and the casting quality is really excellent: very few air bubbles, some cold cast parts, internal reinforcement for the fragile parts, etc...
Honestly the kit could have been put together very quickly and with almost no extra work, but as i like to make things to last i had few ideas to bring it on a bit further.
1) First i drilled the holes for the sling's rings which are around 8mm wide. My widest drill bit was 3,5mm so i had to enlarge the holes by making circles with my Dremel until the holes diameter were large enough.
Honestly I have regrets about this part. With some more work i could have replicate the Webley's locking way using a swivel that allows the ring to rotate on itself yet be secured. But at the time i hadn't figured out how it was working.
2) A little unexpected:
1. While sliding the rear barrel mount up to where i wanted it to sit around the barrel the resin screw, too short, broke off.
2. I drilled 3 holes inside the screw to insert pieces of paperclip in order to maintain the gap needed for the barrel mount and also to serve as armature for the future sculpture.
3. 4. The paperclips pieces glued.
1. Beginning of the sculpture to recreate the missing part of the screw.
2. 3. 4. The screw resculpted and lengthened thanks to the paperclip pins.
3) In ESB, the blaster's hammer is never seen cocked so Sidewinder altered this part to allow it to be glued. However as i wanted to make it moveable i had to recreate the missing parts.
1. 2. 3. Using paperclip i made an armature to reinforce the epoxy or the adds would break very easily.
4. Ready for sculpt.
1. First pass of epoxy. No particular precision here, it was just a base for the following.
2. 3. The hammer after the second pass of milliput and final adjustements using sandpaper.
After some research on the net, i found a reference pic detailing the hammer's lower section. The rounded section appearing to be two different parts maintained by a pin.
1. 3. Using this picture, i incorporated the lateral grooves and the middle pin just for my mind's sake (because let's face, this is quite useless!).
With the adds i sculpted the hammer couldn't fit in its slot anymore. To solve this i grinded down the resin with my dremel doing my best to recreate what a real Webley looks like.
1. The slot as it was...
2. 3. ... once reworked.
Same thing with the lower section. To allow the hammer to be cocked some grinding has been needed.
1. Before the grinding. The areas hatched in red being where i had to grind in a slanted shape.
2. Once grinded (i went through the wall while doing it but fortunately it was going to be hidden under the grip).
3. The hammer uncocked: tipped forward and with the firing tip in its slot.
4. The hammer cocked: tipped backward and the firing tip visible.
To secure the hammer in place, instead of using the original Webley screw position which was too low for me and would have made me remove too much resin to my taste (i didnt want to jeopardize the integrity of this part where a lot of weight rests), so i decided to use a homemade pin.
1. I drilled a hole from side to side.
2a. 2b. 2c. I cut a pin wide and long enough (paperclip once again).
3. Drilled a matching hole in the hammer.
4a. 4b. Once assembled. No glue needed.
That's it for now, i still need to translate all i have written about this build from French to English. And strangely it sometimes takes me more time than writing natively in english...