Dying ESB Flight Suit

From
    Outer Rim

Dying ESB Flight Suit

Hi I recently purchased an ESB suit from MOW. Since it's all white I'm going to start dying the suit. Just wanted to be sure that using Rit dye royal blue with pearl gray are the colors to use. Should I use about a 1/4 of each dye in dying the suit? Thanks

Re: Dying ESB Flight Suit

I used Evening blue. But it was used over a slightly grey suit to begin with. I would mix the pearl grey with the evening blue. Its supposedly no onger made but i am still able to find it online.

From
    Marietta, Ga

Ideally you want to try swatches to get the color you want before committing to the whole flightsuit. Try to find some similar fabric and do some tests. Also, it's quite a bit of fabric. I don't think two 1/4 packs of dye will be dark enough

Use evening blue!!!!!

Here is my results after a few washes. (Use a little less dye than RIT recommends)

Also I used the liquid evening blue, it was very cooperative. I used the whole bottle with about 6 gallons of water, so if do a little less if I had to do it all over again. Also I did use a minor amount of India ink that I used for my ROTJ to try and gray it out a little, not sure if it helped or not.

If you do evening blue and it's too bright then just detergent wash and let it dry, then repeat until you get the exact tone you want. Best of luck with it!

From
    Outer Rim

Thanks alot!

- - - Updated - - -

Got it thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Great thanks!

Oh yea i also used less than recommended and left it in about 15-20 minutes rather than the 30 it says. I think mine is close to perfect.

From
    TEXAS

Dying ESB Flight Suit

I think the green and brown socks Jodo is wearing are probably screen accurate as well!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

From
    Portland, Oregon, United States

I used a whole bottle Evening Blue mixed with a whole box of Pearl Grey like DV said (which I had no trouble finding at my local Joann) in a 3/4 full bath tub and I'm very happy with mine. img_0763-jpg
    One thing to take note of with MOW's suit is the two separate pockets are a thicker material and take longer to dye, mine turned out a weird baby blue the first time and it took a couple more dyes and weathering to get them to match up. Also when you weather it go slowly and don't over do it. I went crazy the first time and had to remove all the color and re-dye the whole thing so subtlety and patience are your best friend.

girlattorney said: View Post
    I used a whole bottle Evening Blue mixed with a whole box of Pearl Grey like DV said (which I had no trouble finding at my local Joann) in a 3/4 full bath tub and I'm very happy with mine. img_0763-jpg
    One thing to take note of with MOW's suit is the two separate pockets are a thicker material and take longer to dye, mine turned out a weird baby blue the first time and it took a couple more dyes and weathering to get them to match up. Also when you weather it go slowly and don't over do it. I went crazy the first time and had to remove all the color and re-dye the whole thing so subtlety and patience are your best friend.
    Yours looks perfect! ..yep the pearl grey and evening blue..perfect!

From
    Vancouver, Canada

girlattorney said: View Post
    I really appreciate this type of post. I'm just about dye my own flight suit, so any extra details I can find are good at this point.

From
    Vancouver, Canada

I used most of a bottle of evening blue and most of the package of pearl grey in a half full bath tub and I think it worked well. I'm trying to decide if I washed it too much after dying and now it's a bit too light, or if will look fine (since it well be a bit darker) with some weathering. I'm waiting to see how it looks in sunlight before making a final call.
    It can't remain cloudy and raining forever right?
    However, I do have a question. If I decide I want to make it a little darker, is it better to use dye remover and start from scratch or just put the existing suit back into a dye bath?
    It's a MOW suit.

Im completely guessing here, but if it were me, i would just it back into the dyebath as is.

From
    Douglasville, Ga.

I'd second that. Shouldn't have to remove color to add more of the same colorant.
    Worked with my MoW gloves. Bought ESB, then decided to go ROTJ. Used color remover, then dyed. After dry I decided I really didn't get the color quite grey enough, so went thru a second round, and came out where I wanted them.

From
    Marietta, Ga

If it needs to be dyed darker you should run the dye bath once more. This is a process called over-dyeing. It works like watercolor painting does, as you add another layer the color will become more opaque, thus deeper and more vibrant.

If you just want it darkened, not more blue, you can just go with weathering. Depending on your weathering technique the color may change drastically just through adding weathering pigments.

From
    Vancouver, Canada

Thanks so much for the replies. This helps a lot. I just need to decide if it's too light now.

From
    Vancouver, Canada

I finally decided that I wanted it a little darker, so I used about a half a bottle of evening blue and a whole box of pearl grey this time in about half a bath tub of hot water. I'm super happy with the result. It's a deeper blue, which is what I wanted and I like the extra grey in it too. Now it's on to weathering.