Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    2 Weeks Ago - Aug 16, 2015, 2:52 PM - Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #1

Hello all,

New to the site!

Yesterday, I pulled my almost 20 year old Boba Fett costume out of a box. I purchased most of the pieces from Mark Bradley's "Build Your Own Boba Fett" site. I was doing mornings at a Radio station at the time and built this for our listener Halloween party. Yes, I know this is not up to the standards of any club. It was more of a hobby project for me but I think I have a good base to rebuild from.

I need to start rebuilding this so I'll probably be hanging out a lot here. I'm a full blown 3D printer enthusiast and have two printers: a 6x6x6 inch bed Printrbot Simple Metal and a 10x10x10 inch bed Printrbot Metal Plus. Thus, I can do fairly large builds. I'm going to take a stab at designing new gauntlets and printing them out.

If there is a good resource for 3D print files, please let me know. I'm already on Thingiverse.com and all of those sites but I'm not finding what I need.

img_7186-jpgimg_7187-jpgimg_7188-jpgimg_7189-jpgimg_7190-jpgimg_7191-jpgimg_7192-jpgimg_7193-jpg

And why the hell are all my pics rotated sideways?

Mark
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    2 Weeks Ago - Aug 16, 2015, 7:59 PM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #2

You know, at a local university there are some students involved with 3D printing Boba Fett stuff already. I can't tell you how closely they've replicated parts, but the items I saw were pretty well made. I'll get with a friend of mine who has their contact info and will pass it along to you if you'd like.

I'm quite jealous with your 10x10x10. I got within a hairs breadth of buying a simple 3D kit myself. The kind that you can print bigger parts and make your 3D printing capability even bigger and better. Still kicking myself for not getting it when the money was available to buy it.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2014
    2 Weeks Ago - Aug 16, 2015, 9:21 PM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #3

Quote Radioman1017 said: View Post
    Hello all,

New to the site!

Yesterday, I pulled my almost 20 year old Boba Fett costume out of a box. I purchased most of the pieces from Mark Bradley's "Build Your Own Boba Fett" site. I was doing mornings at a Radio station at the time and built this for our listener Halloween party. Yes, I know this is not up to the standards of any club. It was more of a hobby project for me but I think I have a good base to rebuild from.

I need to start rebuilding this so I'll probably be hanging out a lot here. I'm a full blown 3D printer enthusiast and have two printers: a 6x6x6 inch bed Printrbot Simple Metal and a 10x10x10 inch bed Printrbot Metal Plus. Thus, I can do fairly large builds. I'm going to take a stab at designing new gauntlets and printing them out.

If there is a good resource for 3D print files, please let me know. I'm already on Thingiverse.com and all of those sites but I'm not finding what I need.

img_7186-jpgimg_7187-jpgimg_7188-jpgimg_7189-jpgimg_7190-jpgimg_7191-jpgimg_7192-jpgimg_7193-jpg

And why the hell are all my pics rotated sideways?

Mark
    Just about everything has 3d print files on this site. Examine http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/r...rojects-50447/
    2 Weeks Ago - Aug 17, 2015, 8:22 AM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #4

Wow! Nevermind. Don't think I need to get those guys email addy for you after all.
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    2 Weeks Ago - Aug 17, 2015, 2:46 PM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #5

Hell even for hobby it looks really good.
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    2 Weeks Ago - Aug 19, 2015, 12:47 AM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #6

Quote silvermitt said: View Post
    You know, at a local university there are some students involved with 3D printing Boba Fett stuff already. I can't tell you how closely they've replicated parts, but the items I saw were pretty well made. I'll get with a friend of mine who has their contact info and will pass it along to you if you'd like.

I'm quite jealous with your 10x10x10. I got within a hairs breadth of buying a simple 3D kit myself. The kind that you can print bigger parts and make your 3D printing capability even bigger and better. Still kicking myself for not getting it when the money was available to buy it.

Prices are definitely going down. My Metal Plus was the cheapest pre-assembled 10x10x10 printer I could find. (I wanted to do helmets.) Unfortunately, it's not stable enough to do really large prints like helmets. They always fail. But, it's nice to have the extra couple of inches for guns and larger props.

Mark
    1 Week Ago - Aug 19, 2015, 4:00 AM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #7

Wow...you've got a great base there....with a few tweaks from the info you'll get here, you'll have a great Boba
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Week Ago - Aug 19, 2015, 10:03 PM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #8

Can someone point me in the right direction of attachments? I used cloissonne pins (sp?) to attach the armor pieces to the flak vest but that didn't work at all. How is everyone doing this today?

mark
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2014
    1 Week Ago - Aug 20, 2015, 7:37 AM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #9

Can someone point me in the right direction of attachments? I used cloissonne pins (sp?) to attach the armor pieces to the flak vest but that didn't work at all. How is everyone doing this today?

mark
    There are several ways of attaching the armor to the vest, but it basically boils down to three methods.

1) (Screen accurate method) The screw method (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/a...olt+attachment)

2) Magnets - (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/c...-method-48099/)

3) Velcro

I personally use the magnet approach but the best, most long lasting approach is method 1.
  11. 1 Week Ago - Aug 20, 2015, 10:30 AM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #10

It's so crazy that someone can 3D print this stuff out! The future is now, man.

I'm not sure if your Fett is ROTJ or a type of Special Edition, but I think your shoulders may be flipped? I'm an ESB Fett, so I'm not sure if I'm wrong here...
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Week Ago - Aug 22, 2015, 8:25 PM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #11

Actually, no clue. I build this from Mark Bradley's specs and this is the orientation for the shoulder pads.
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2014
    1 Week Ago - Aug 22, 2015, 10:32 PM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #12

Actually, no clue. I build this from Mark Bradley's specs and this is the orientation for the shoulder pads.
    I suggest you look through the gallery section of this site. No version of Boba Fett I have seen has the shoulders arranged as you do, they are on opposite sides from how your outfit shows them.

For example here is a screenshot of Boba vs Han at the Sarlac Pit in Return of the Jedi.

boba-fett-costume-returnof-jedi-hd-091-png
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Week Ago - Aug 22, 2015, 10:50 PM - Re: Dusting Off my 20 Year old Boba Fett #13

Oh, if you're just talking placement of the sticker, then I probably just put it on the wrong shoulder when I dressed up the mannequin.

Mark