Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    1 Week Ago - May 15, 2017, 10:36 PM - Dullcote #1

What is everyone using to go over humbrol enamels don't want to mess my paint up Any tips

2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    1 Week Ago - May 15, 2017, 11:06 PM - Re: Dullcote #2

Testor's Dullcote
  4. 1 Week Ago - May 16, 2017, 6:10 AM - Re: Dullcote #3

I use them quite a bit but not a lot of them are spot on. If you are doing a layering method rather than topically use humbrol enamels. I used blaidon props tutorial on youtube when I first started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2016
    1 Week Ago - May 16, 2017, 2:06 PM - Re: Dullcote #4

Will Testors dullcote work over Krylon spray or is it better to go with Krylon flat?
    1 Week Ago - May 16, 2017, 3:27 PM - Re: Dullcote #5

Quote iceman25c said: View Post
    Will Testors dullcote work over Krylon spray or is it better to go with Krylon flat?

Dulcote will work on anything really. Acrylic and enamels.
  7. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    1 Week Ago - May 16, 2017, 7:49 PM - Re: Dullcote #6

On another note do you guys primer the armor before using the humbrol enamel if so what primers have you had the best luck with I've always used rustoleum but half the time it cracks on me and it's not humidity or temp as I usually paint in house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1 Week Ago - May 17, 2017, 2:44 PM - Re: Dullcote #7

Rustoleum primer is hit or miss in my experience. I've had consistent results with Krylon and Duplicolor. Make sure you give the primer coat a good 48 hrs or more to harden. If you go over with another paint too soon you will definitely see some cracking.

If you're doing a couple coats of the same primer to clean up a surface then add your next coat as soon as it's sandable/dry to the touch...don't let it go to the 24hr mark or you will need to give it longer to cure. In my experience with Krylon primer, the 2nd coat will crack at or around the 24hr mark, but not after 48 hrs.
    1 Week Ago - May 17, 2017, 6:32 PM - Re: Dullcote #8

Yeah, absolutely do prime, especially when painting resins.

I agree with ToEleven that I'm not that big a fan of the normal Rustoleum 'painters touch' primer. It really doesn't have any more adhesion qualities than just normal paint, and has identical dry times. It's also very moisture sensitive. I pretty much only use it as a color, never as a surface primer. I'm pretty sure it's just normal paint in a flat shade.

If you want good primers, automotive and specialty stuff is the way to go. Rustoleum does has some pretty good offerings there, I use their 2-in-1 Sandable and Filler primer all the time during the final smoothing stages after bondoing, and their Universal Bonding Primer is something I've just started using that seems to adhere really nice to resin. Both are dry sandable and surfacable within a few hours, though I'd still recommend 24 hours just to get a proper full cure.

And yeah, as ToEleven mentioned, Duplicolor is also a really great brand that makes really high quality automotive paints, can be a bit hard to find though. Krylon primers I haven't had the chance to use yet, but I do like their clear coats though.
    Last edited by Grimstuff; 1 Week Ago at 6:38 PM.