Does anyone have experience bleaching the colour out of navy blue overalls?

From
    Preston, Lancs, U.K

Does anyone have experience bleaching the colour out of navy blue overalls?

Hello everyone. I am still kinda new...

I am making my own Boba Fett costume, and I have been given some navy blue overalls to try out if they're useful on this project.
    Will bleaching them get them near to Fett's E.S.B colour? Or will I be wasting my time and Bleach?
    Thanks in advance for any help guys, I love this site, I can't believe I didn't know about until a few weeks ago.

From
    Tsawwassen

Re: Does anyone have experience bleaching the colour out of navy blue overalls?

It shouldn't be a huge deal, the ESB suit seems to be a light light shade of blue anyways so I'd think it should be ok

Sorry, I don't really have any experience dying clothes like that :S

I bought a dark grey/green flight suit (US army) from an army surplus, I soaked it in bleach for 24 hours, it has faded but not enough. Hope you have better luck than me.

Have a look at the fibre content first Dyes used to colour natural fibres are generally able to be worked on at home but those used for Polyester require a totally different dye process which cannot be reversed by home methods.

That said Navy blue dye is made up of a few different pigment dyes and you may find one or another comes out but leaves the rest behind. I've had navy bleach back to a warm brown and I've had it bleach back to green and one time red. And then there are dye strippers which may leave fabric yellow at the end...

You are probably going to be best off using the overalls as a pattern to cut and sew out of a better fabric

I've been home dyeing for more than a decade and it's always terribly exciting