Subscribe
    Apr 13, 2009, 9:11 PM - DIY Electronic Chest Display Anyone? #1

Hey guys,

I have done basic wiring and LED circuits, but I really don't know where to begin with the chest display. I have looked through Brak Buddy's website and the schematics on there, but I need someone to hold my hand...if you get what I'm saying. If anyone could add some information or a...cough..tutorial..cough..I know that myself and MANY MANY others would be eternally grateful. Any takers???
  2. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Apr 13, 2009, 9:12 PM - Re: DIY Electronic Chest Display Anyone? #2

try www.tk409.com he has a pretty good tutorial...if you havent already seen it...
    Apr 13, 2009, 9:22 PM - Re: DIY Electronic Chest Display Anyone? #3

I've used TK409's bike light method in the past, but I'm in the process of TOTALLY upgrading everything on my Fett suit so I want an actually electronic display. I thought it would be a fun project if someone could give some guidance. I have a lot of soldering and wiring experience, but I know nothing of programmable light sequences.
    Apr 14, 2009, 10:15 AM - Re: DIY Electronic Chest Display Anyone? #4

You would want to build a circuit based around a PIC microcontroller. I was looking at doing one, but just lack the time right now. Also, by the time I bought the parts, designed a circuit, bought a programmer to program the chip, read up on programming....to me it made more sense to buy one from Fettronics or Shackman. I am confident that I could do it myself with time, but since I am not looking to mass produce and sell them, it just doesn't seem worth the time just to build one for myself.
    Apr 14, 2009, 10:26 AM - Re: DIY Electronic Chest Display Anyone? #5

Quote mrgr8ness said: View Post
    You would want to build a circuit based around a PIC microcontroller. I was looking at doing one, but just lack the time right now. Also, by the time I bought the parts, designed a circuit, bought a programmer to program the chip, read up on programming....to me it made more sense to buy one from Fettronics or Shackman. I am confident that I could do it myself with time, but since I am not looking to mass produce and sell them, it just doesn't seem worth the time just to build one for myself.
    I am beginning to think the same thing. I might tinker a bit longer, but I'll probably end up buying one from fettronics or shackman.
    Apr 18, 2009, 7:06 AM - Re: DIY Electronic Chest Display Anyone? #6

Quote mrgr8ness said: View Post
    So your saying just pay the 70 bucks at TK409 and be done with it? Over the last two years or so I find that the time and money I have wasted, I just should have gone and bought it in the first place. It also saves you on the stress of knowing that it didn't turn out right. I'm already getting ready to build another jet pack. Sorry, I'm just rambling now. Thanks.
  7. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Apr 18, 2009, 11:32 PM - Re: DIY Electronic Chest Display Anyone? #7

You can see what I have available at www.fettronics.com.
    Apr 19, 2009, 11:28 AM - Re: DIY Electronic Chest Display Anyone? #8

Quote jwinnington said: View Post
    So your saying just pay the 70 bucks at TK409 and be done with it? Over the last two years or so I find that the time and money I have wasted, I just should have gone and bought it in the first place. It also saves you on the stress of knowing that it didn't turn out right. I'm already getting ready to build another jet pack. Sorry, I'm just rambling now. Thanks.

There are a lot of pieces for my costumes that I do myself, but some of them I just can't get the same quality. There is no one stop Fett shop because each builder focuses on making one or a handful of AMAZING pieces. One guy making every piece as screen accurate as FP, MOW, or bobamaker would take A LOT of time and money.

I'm going to go with a fettronics in the near future.