Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 27, 2013, 2:29 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #51

those look great, might have to try that on mine now!
    Nov 27, 2013, 3:35 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #52

Those look great, I hope my boots turn out as well.
    Nov 27, 2013, 5:56 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #53

Thanks guys!

MDJ: I don't think you have to cut the soles for the 2013 MOW boots. Dakotas spikes fit bang on. But if you have 2012 Mojos, I think all it will take is some bending. Could be wrong though. Post some pics!
    Nov 28, 2013, 4:29 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #54

Quote DeathProof said: View Post
    When I don't work mornings, it's very difficult not to want to play dress up and stomp around the apartment in a half done Boba Fett suit.

The seasons are definitely changing here in this part of Canada, and it's starting to get a bit chilly

So why not? I taped my cape on and my belts aren't properly fastened - currently fastened via chip clip so they are sagging a tad Also, my vest and neckseal are on the sidelines while I figure out my harness situation and proper fitting of neck seal.

This is actually the first time I put on everything after it was weathered. Things that I have slowly started to notice:

1. With the shin tools added, the bottom of my legs get really baggy, hiding the spats. I don't think this is right. I think there is an excess of material in my calf to knee area. Is this possible to take to a seamstress to fix? An option that I am considering is just velcroing the excess down and hiding it with my knee armor.

When the fabric is pulled back, it looks 10x better.

2. The weathering does NOT look as crazy in pictures. I almost feel the need to go back at it....I must resist....

Currently waiting for more things to come in the mail. I should have a set of ROTJ wookiee braids from Woodman, a refitted neck seal from Arkady and all the sweet sweet aluminum pieces from Jodokast89 soon

Until next time!

Stay warm!
    The weathering looks great! What method did you use? Is this paint, or some other stuff like charcoal and real dirt?
    Nov 28, 2013, 12:57 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #55

Quote thebeans said: View Post
    The weathering looks great! What method did you use? Is this paint, or some other stuff like charcoal and real dirt?
    Thanks man. I actually have added more weathering since those pics. I will update soon when I get my vest and neck seal in so that all my soft parts are done.

For those pics, I did a mix of matte black spray paint, mahogany and dark brown stain spray, and a straw yellow acrylic/raw umber acylic mixed with water in a spray bottle - multiple layers, then ironed in.

The new weathering includes a charcoal wash that gets that gradient a lot better from the pant cuff up to the shin tools that the reference pics have. I also took some sandpaper to some areas to fray some of the fabric.

I may need to revisit the weathering once I get my armor placed so that there aren't any noticeable areas that didn't get scuffed.

Will post pics soon hopefully
  6. Dec 2, 2013, 2:00 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #56

Inspirational thread, cant wait to see the rest.
    Dec 11, 2013, 10:27 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #57

Thank you so much for the tips on the MOW ammo belt. I think i did it justice.

Dec 14, 2013, 2:13 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #58

Looks great Aaron! Still gotta take care of those spats tho...
    Dec 15, 2013, 8:07 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #59

Update :: Soft Parts DONE!!!

I got my revised vest and neck seal in from Arkady - so stoked.

So today I had a party in the bathroom, jamming to holiday tunes and dirtying this guy up. I tried to go LIGHT...as the colour and material of the vest will really soak up the paints. The material is a lot less forgiving than the flight suit which I could literally take sandpaper to if I wanted to get paint out. The vest fabric, because it's so smooth, wasn't gonna let me do that.

I used a few test sprays of spray paint....didn't like the results.

I ended up mixing some straw, raw umber, and burnt sienna for a mix of highlights and shadows. Again, very lightly. I was working in the bathroom, so I had dampened the vest first (removable shower head ftw), applied the paints with a sponge, and then used a wet foamy brush to spread the paints and get the hard lines out to fade them into the vest.

I focused primarily on the shoulders, seams, neckline, and bottom edge.

Most of this is going to be covered by the armor (thankfully..as some of it was a bit of a headache that didn't look right). But now looking at the photos...it again hardly looks like anything. I'm not going to go at it again. I just wanted to lightly fade the sheen and make the overall look of the vest less bright.

Here is a pretty festive fett :

The knee armor will hopefully take care of the bunching fabric between the thigh pockets and the shin pockets. If not, I will have to either get some fabric removed, or fold it over and velcro it (or something...)

I'm not going to touch the spats anymore. I gave them a bit of a dusting, but as per the reference pics, the spats are way cleaner than the flight suit and boots. Why? No idea.

Added Woodman wookiee braids - not properly attached. Safety pin?

Underneath is a MOW JP harness which fits like a glove.

Now I'm just waiting on my hard pieces!!! Probably won't update until the new year, so have a great holiday season everyone!!!
    Last edited by DeathProof; Dec 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM.
    Dec 16, 2013, 5:57 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #60

Looks great, well done on the weathering of the soft parts, i just finished weathering my ESB Arkady stuff yesterday.
    Dec 16, 2013, 6:06 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #61

All the weathering looks very authentic. Nice work.
    Dec 16, 2013, 8:29 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #62

Very nice job on the weathering. Very authentic looking weathering. Hope mine turns out as well. Been saving my soft parts for last.
    Dec 16, 2013, 11:53 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #63

Thanks guys!!
    Jan 2, 2014, 2:48 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #64

Thermal Detonator :: You know...for the kids....

I know it's not really part of the original suit, but thinking ahead, I can't help but think how cool it would be to have fun with kids on troops with the Thermal Detonator hot potato game. Plus, it would be a good ice breaker.

For those that know the toy, it's light weight, and has a pretty shotty paint job. Since I can't really do much about the weight, I thought I'd spruce up the paint job a bit. Special thanks to my partner for getting this for me for Christmas and fuelling my obsession

Before:

Rebelscum.com: Thermal Detonator 'Hot Potato' Game - Disney Parks 2013

After:

For $35 and a little elbow grease, I think it looks pretty good in comparison to the $100+ varieties out there.
    Jan 2, 2014, 2:56 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #65

Nicely done! I did the same thing to one and kids love it. I like that you added the scratches!
    Jan 2, 2014, 3:14 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #66

Nice, I had gotten this for my wife's Boushh. It is really cool. I did a repaint on it as well. Kids get a kick out of something with lights & sound.
    Jan 2, 2014, 6:33 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #67

Another great physique for a Fett!

Everything is looking great! And you should REALLY pat yourself on the back for the weathering you did on the flight suit. Everything is done subtly, and nothing is overdone!

I can definitely see RotJ Boba Fett in there!
    Jan 2, 2014, 7:23 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #68

Thanks guys!! Much appreciated!!

Can't wait to get to work on the hard pieces!
    Jan 21, 2014, 9:35 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #69

Paint Preparation :: ROTJ Armor

In preparation for my hard pieces, I have been researching and asking for help from some of our best painters for a list of colours that they rely on for the ROTJ Armor.

Initially, I had thought that there was a difference in the ROTJ Hero vs. SE armors (Colour-wise). I know the damage is different, but even so, I may sway to more of the MOM and AOSW versions just for the relief of having decent reference pictures.

I want to go airbrush as this really works with the colour palette that I like. While I had lots of fun weathering the soft parts and ripping things up, I'm quite nervous about the hard pieces. ....primarily the helmet and jetpack. SO, I will start with my armor, then the gauntlets, jetpack and finally the helmet.

It was quite difficult for me to really decide on colours. Enamel vs Acrylic? Humbrol vs. everything else? The humbrol line seemed easy enough, but we didn't have a real set of numbers WITH colours. I would have to go and research what the colour looked like, see if I liked it, then go back and compare it to others - there was a lot of back and forth tabbing I tell ya.

So I devised my list, photographed the tins, and laid them out in photoshop to show exactly what the colours look like and what they are for.

More detail from where I got these colours can be found on these threads:

Ponte's ROTJ Armor Paintup

Terminal Fettler's AOSW Humbrol Colour List

The green I had the hardest time deciding on - primarily because I think the green is what makes/breaks the armor. There is a lot of buzz about US Medium Green, but I really couldn't find it anywhere, and I didn't like the replacements for it. t talked to Dom (Fett4Real) and he gave me the inside scoop on Tamiya XF-65 (Flat Field Grey). I saw some samples and it looks pretty bang on.

The funny thing about researching all these paints is that different brands carry the same paint under a different name (at least to my eye). I think there was a paint close to the XF-65 in Humbrol....US Light Green? I can't remember.

There are other weathering materials that will be used, including but not limited to: earth toned pastels, compass scratching, etc.
    Jan 21, 2014, 10:45 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #70

DP, looks like you did what I did. Comparing what everyone else did & looking at reference photos. It is rather time consuming. But in the end you have to go with the color that looks good to you. Cause in my personal opinion each person sees colors in a little different way. Different lighting makes a huge difference from what I have found out. Also how the colors compliment each other in either dulling or brightening. This could be debated at length which it has been. I have read & read but at some point you just have to make up your mind in what you think is best & like & go for it. Remember we can be our own worst critics.

I went the rattle can approach but also use the airbrush. I like the mix of that & am happy with my results. I prefer the enamels only because I have gotten used to working with them & know what I can get away with.

I like the color pallet you have picked so far. I am anxious to see your progress.
    Jan 21, 2014, 10:53 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #71

Wouldn't mind seeing a color swatch of that primary green you got there, dried so you can really tell what it will look like....
    Jan 21, 2014, 11:07 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #72

Hey DP and Raf - thanks for the insight to the boots/toespikes mash-up!!!

All the work to modify the spikes, I never considered trimming the sole to suit
    Jan 21, 2014, 11:50 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #73

the build is looking great DP
    Jan 22, 2014, 12:04 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #74

Quote toolguy301 said: View Post
    DP, looks like you did what I did. Comparing what everyone else did & looking at reference photos. It is rather time consuming. But in the end you have to go with the color that looks good to you.
    Yeah....seriously, I could have spent hours just looking at this wall of paint. I could have compared reference photos in different light contemplating how this one shade would appear differently or the same if it was in a different environment. Ugh...

But like you said....just bite the bullet and make up your mind

The weathering is going to make a huge difference in how the paint appears....I too am anxious to see my progress. Hah!

One thing that I need to look up though (which I haven't been able to find) is a good airbrush colour for the gauntlets. I saw Floquil Boxcar Red and Floquil Wisconsin Central Maroon on EvilBay, but the guy wants $17 shipping to Canada. No thanks. There has to be a better solution. I may switch to rattle can for the gauntlets if I can't find anything.

Is the gauntlet colour the same colour as the mandibles on the helmet? If so, that's Wine 73 right? I was also browsing humbrol's website today and found Humbrol #133: Brown Satin but apparently only ships within the UK. Wah wah. Maybe someone has some of the floquils available they can send me?

Quote syllander said: View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing a color swatch of that primary green you got there, dried so you can really tell what it will look like....
    I'll do that next week when my students are all frivolously writing exams

Quote dolioshmolio said: View Post
    the build is looking great DP
    Thanks man!!! Nice job on that jetpack btw!
    Jan 22, 2014, 8:37 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #75

I went with the same color for the mandibles on the helmet & the gauntlets. I use Rustoleum Claret Wine in combination with Rustoleum Burgundy & of course black & grays for weathering on the gauntlets. I went with the same combination on the mandibles on the helmet. Here is a case where because there aren't any colors other than some damage silver on the gauntlets the color looks somewhat different than what is actually on the helmet. Even though they are the same color.

Weathering makes a difference in how the colors look as well. It can really dull the colors some. Another trick is even after doing some weathering & you want to add some more color you can carefully re-mask the piece & mist the main color over it. I did that on my right shoulder piece. Got a little carried away with the dark weathering, but got it lightened up some doing a light misting of the base color to brighten it up some. Saved starting over.