Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 18, 2013, 1:58 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #26

Thanks for the kudos toolguy! Yeah, that belt needed to be darkened. The leather spray worked perfectly.

Straight up acrylics topcop28. The 99 cent variety at Michaels. Just a basic white and black mixed to make a light grey and a charcoal. It was done using SpideyFett's tutorial, so it was more of a WASH then a straight application. The wash also worked a lot better on the canvas shoe instead of globs of acrylic.

Hope that helps!
    Nov 7, 2013, 6:11 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #27

Is that a machined aluminum rocket in my pocket? Yes. Yes it is

Thanks Dakota for the rocket! It looks amazing! Looking forward to doing some sweet pictures of it and all the other pieces that are on their way!!

I also grabbed a set of ROTJ wookiee braids from Woodman. By far, the best I've seen. Amazing quality.

Not much else to report. Still waiting on my hard pieces to come in. I DID get a MOW jetpack harness which fits REALLY well that goes under my vest and neck seal. Highly recommend it if you aren't looking for the metal frame.

I also did another round of weathering on my flight suit (this time with ground up charcoal), especially in the ankle area. I think I now have the gradient that I was looking for.
    Nov 7, 2013, 8:17 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #28

Love it, Aaron! Can't wait to see more!

-Dakota
    Nov 8, 2013, 10:19 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #29

That weathering looks FANTASTIC. Nice work on everything.
    Nov 8, 2013, 8:35 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #30

Thanks Matt!!

Your ESB is so rad. I hope my paint job is half as good.
    Nov 10, 2013, 8:37 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #31

Great looking kit so far. I am building my kit as well and i think between us we would have a pretty good looking kit. You have all the pieces i am missing, and i have the armor. You made me decide to go for the MOW belt now. I was gonna go with something more expensive but i like what you did and will try to emulate it a little.
    Nov 10, 2013, 2:37 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #32

The MOW belt is a nice leather, but the colour is what needed tweaking. With a little work, I think you can make a $100 belt look pretty sweet. Just a reminder to be aware that you may need to hot glue some of the velcro because it did come off quite easily on some of the pouches.

Can't wait for my armor to get painting again
    Nov 12, 2013, 10:32 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #33

Weathering looks great! The belt weathering is genius, i never would have thought to use leather spray paint! The shin tools being too low has always concerned me as well, does the velcro seem to hold up to the shin tool weight?
    Nov 12, 2013, 11:02 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #34

Death Proof:
    Nice looking pieces. Your scuba harness... have you had this on under a vest and armor? I am trying to decide how to approach my own harness. Any idea how yours compare to the screen used version?
    Nov 12, 2013, 11:48 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #35

Hey spy,

The harness was a flop. Didn't work. If you look at the test fit photos in post #8, the unit juts out WAAAAY too much. I was able to salvage the metal buckles and I'm still going to use the nylon webbing, but the hard plastic backplate ....I gotta get rid of somehow.
    Nov 13, 2013, 7:51 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #36

GREAT Build!!
    Nov 13, 2013, 8:35 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #37

Thanks Zod!!

I got a sweet sweet package in from Dakota today with my remaining metal pieces. If you haven't already done so - order from this man. Now. The metal work is FANTASTIC.

Saying that, I'm having some issues with the toe spikes. I have 2012 MOW boots, and these spikes are meant for 2013 boots (with the squared edge). Clearly, you can see the difference:

I ordered from Dakota knowing this, but hey...I'm a visual guy...I needed to see the difference.

I posted a WTB thread in hopes of finding spikes for the 2012 boot for trade. Unless anyone can chime in on how I can fit these to my boots? I like the boots I have - worked pretty hard on painting them, and got them at a decent price....plus they fit. It's not easy finding a size 12 that fits.

I'm going to be photographing all the metal pieces this weekend for Dakota and record the process to add to the ongoing photo thread that I've been contributing to here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/p...-thread-48726/
    Nov 14, 2013, 9:56 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #38

I'm excited to see these pics brother! I'm surprised how quick it got there considering customs!
    Nov 16, 2013, 12:24 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #39

Death Proof. I missed those photos. Thanks. Good luck.
    Nov 16, 2013, 6:49 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #40

This is looking great!
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Nov 18, 2013, 11:46 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #41

Looks great! Good work on the weathering artistry.
    Nov 19, 2013, 10:40 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #42

Quote MrDickJones said: View Post
    Weathering looks great! The belt weathering is genius, i never would have thought to use leather spray paint! The shin tools being too low has always concerned me as well, does the velcro seem to hold up to the shin tool weight?
    Thanks man! I haven't tried velcro just yet. I'm going to see what happens when I attach the knee armor and go from there!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote T90 said: View Post
    Looks great! Good work on the weathering artistry.
    Quote dynamic1 said: View Post
    This is looking great!
    Thanks guys! Appreciate it!
    Nov 27, 2013, 1:51 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #43

A little bit of an update!

I got my toe spikes attached. But I am unsure of how they look and would like your opinions.

They are 2012 MOW boots with 2012 Mojo Spikes. I initially put them on only to have a gap in them - this was expected. I took an idea from Mr. Fett from a different thread to put little foamies in the gaps. I then painted the foamies black (this didn't look good) and then a metallic silver.

How does it look? Be honest. If it looks like ****, I can still take them off - even though they are on pretty good My thinking is that it's such a small detail (especially from far away...hehe) that it won't matter, but I still want it to look good. Right now, I'm on the fence and just need another opinion.

I also darkened the boots more as per the reference pics I listed above.

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2013, 2:41 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #44

The boot color is great, but the toe spike is too far out. You might try to shave off a bit from the front of the sole, then attach the toe spike and bend the ends inward; after this you can fill in the gaps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Mount.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	73170

I cut the front of the sole for you (in the image) and also bent the toe plate to fit the new shape.
    Nov 27, 2013, 5:54 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #45

Hey DP, go the shoe goo and add some paint to it, I just wish I had the thought to shave the front as Raf has said, and also you can take the spikes off the frame and change the angles by grinding a bit, it worked for my 2012 MOW's I think, and love the weathering easy done and awsome result, well done.
    Nov 27, 2013, 10:31 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #46

Thanks Raf!

The spikes you used in the image are Dakotas spikes. They really didn't fit (designed for 2013 boot) so I traded someone for older spikes (2012 Mojo). I trust the process would still be the same for mojos spikes minus the more drastic bending of the ends.

What kind of tool would you use to cut the sole straight? I'm kinda limited here

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    The boot color is great, but the toe spike is too far out. You might try to shave off a bit from the front of the sole, then attach the toe spike and bend the ends inward; after this you can fill in the gaps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Mount.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	73170

I cut the front of the sole for you (in the image) and also bent the toe plate to fit the new shape.
    Nov 27, 2013, 11:06 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #47

Edit.... Gues i didnt read very well, lol
    But you could still use a hand sander, or probably just hand sand the front
    Im having an issue with my 2013 mow and my 2012 mojo spikes
    Nov 27, 2013, 11:10 AM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #48

Quote DeathProof said: View Post
    What kind of tool would you use to cut the sole straight? I'm kinda limited here
    Maybe a knife?
    Nov 27, 2013, 1:30 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #49

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    Maybe a knife?
    HAH!

You know...sometimes it's the simplest things that get the job done. Why did I have in my mind some kind of saw?

Seriously though - immediately after you told me to cut off the sole of the shoe, wheels started turning. I was just waking up and I got out of bed, grabbed the boots, unbolted the spikes and took my model knife to the sole. I don't use my model knife every day, and it's tucked away in an art drawer so I didn't even think about it, but it worked GREAT! I was very nervous cutting off the tip of the boot - I half expected to see the inside of the boot.

But, with some bending and more JB Weld, they are on there and looking MUCH better - only took 20 minutes. I'm glad I did - it wouldn't have looked right and it would have always bothered me.

Thanks again.

I think I can finally put a clear coat on it, seal it, and call the boots DONE.
    Nov 27, 2013, 1:39 PM - Re: DeathProof's ROTJ Fett (WIP) #50

Now that's what I call job well done! Keep up the great work!