I just recently "finished" my second cardboard scratch build helmet and have made the decision to jump to the full costume. I'm sure it's going to be a very difficult task, but that's half the fun. This build is going to be a very slow process, especially during the summer, but it'll get there slowly but surely
If you want to see my second helmet build its right here
I haven't gotten the electronics or visor for it yet, but the build and paint up are finished.
While waiting for all the necessary electronics I went ahead and started on the gauntlets. I also did this because I want a RC servo to control my rangefinder and I want the controls to be the switches on the right gauntlet
I couldn't find a ton of detailed threads on how to build these, so I just studied the hell out of google images to put the pieces together. Here's what I have so far
All pieces for both gauntlets pasted to the cardboard
To curve the gauntlets I found a can of carpet deodorizer that was a similar width to my arm, got the cardboard damp, and then curved it around the can. I did this with all four layers, then pinched them between cans so they kept their shape as they dried
After the layers dried I glued the two uppers together and the two lowers together. I did not glue them before bending because I wanted to avoid the top layer of cardboard being warped when bending. Idk if that's how it's supposed to be done but oh well.
Now putting all the pieces together was interesting... I started by bending and gluing where needed, then I layed the pieces on top of the gauntlets themselves to check the fit
I noticed a couple of obvious missing pieces
You can also see the fit of the pieces isn't great above the missing piece either.
Regardless, I measured the missing pieces, drew them on cardboard and cut them out. Any minor gaps and imperfections will be fixed with bondo so I'm not sweating it at this point
Here is what I currently have done
I don't want to glue the pieces to the gauntlets quite yet. I'm going to wait until I have the electronics to do that.
For now I can coat them with some layers of sealer, and then I will begin working on the left gauntlet while I wait for the electronics.
It's a decent start. I'm trying to be patient and take my time because I'm not overly talented at scratch building.
Sorry for such a wordy post, future posts I'll try to explain less so there is not so much reading.
Once the electronics are installed I'll be able to attach all the parts to the gauntlet and then begin hitting it with some bondo!
Next update: beginning to cut out and put together the left gauntlet!