Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 13, 2008, 3:24 AM - Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #1

***EDIT, NEW PIC ADDED ***
    Well, this may be the best way to get some good feedback about my flak vest. Here are some pics. I just finished this tonight. Please feel free to comment and thank you in advance.......

Here is my new and improved.......

Here is my original........
    Last edited by LadySewforus; May 2, 2008 at 4:48 PM.
    Apr 13, 2008, 10:40 AM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #2

That looks pretty sweet! The real test is trying one on over a jumpsuit. The only thing that I can see is the cut out in the back. The actual vest did not have such a cut out and having one makes the vest pooch out at the belly. I'm going to have the cut out in my vest patched in so that the vest will have a snugger fit. Here's a pic of the back of the vest where you can see there is no cut out, only slits for the harness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backplate_small.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	23929  
  3. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 13, 2008, 12:58 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #3

I can see that point. I will make sure to ask, which is preferred and I can make this depending on the request.

I have done these both ways, with and without the jet pack cut out.

Thanks!!
    Apr 13, 2008, 1:38 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #4

Having only stayed at a Holiday Inn and not an expert to give input

It seems that the sleeves are to short...or are they suppose to be that short???or cut at that angle???

BTW
    I have finally reached the "Spartan" level...300!!!!!
    Apr 13, 2008, 1:59 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #5

I think for an accurate critique, you would have to GIVE me one of your vests so I could do an intense quality control study. May take years.
    No, really, looks fantastic!
    Apr 13, 2008, 2:20 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #6

It's looking really really good so far. Construction looks solid on the inside. Maybe rocket pack harness strap slots on the back should be a standard feature for Boba, optional for custom mandos.
  7. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 13, 2008, 2:20 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #7

Quote butterbean said: View Post
    I think for an accurate critique, you would have to GIVE me one of your vests so I could do an intense quality control study. May take years.
    No, really, looks fantastic!

I wish I could give out test samples, darn, but I would fear the consequences.
    I did add my name to the Karma list, though.

LOPERO,
    I guess we need a really good pic with armor, to test out the sleeves.
    Armor size varies too. Andy CGNgamer, will be visiting my area soon and will pick-up his flightsuit, belt pouches, vest and neckseal. I will have him model for me and that may give us a better idea of the size. I am sure he will be happy to give us pics with the armor, when he has attached it.

Thanks for the input!!
    Apr 13, 2008, 8:32 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #8

Quote Count Dookie said: View Post
    It's looking really really good so far. Construction looks solid on the inside. Maybe rocket pack harness strap slots on the back should be a standard feature for Boba, optional for custom mandos.
    the problem with that would be it lining up the slots with the backplate... every backplate will be different, so the slots would have to be as well.
    Apr 13, 2008, 10:05 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #9

It looks good, I would agree about the cut out for the Jet Pack (though some do like that option). I think the sleeves might be a bit too long, and I believe (though I could be mistaken) that there shouldn't be a stitch line along the bottom.

When I made mine, I left the back flap side open (where it opens in the back) to allow me to fold the vest right side in, then fold in the side lines where the Velcro goes to close the line, instead of leaving the bottom open. I hope that makes sense.
  10. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 9:48 AM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #10

I am not sure if I understand that folding thing that you do.
    ??
    Do you mean there is no velcro on the back of your vest?
    I am not sure if everyone, as a general rule, would like that.

About the sleeves, I have been looking closely at the pics and started to question that. This is hard to put into words.

How long are yours? and how far down do they go towards the armpit?

I look forward to your response!!

Quote Seven said: View Post
    It looks good, I would agree about the cut out for the Jet Pack (though some do like that option). I think the sleeves might be a bit too long, and I believe (though I could be mistaken) that there shouldn't be a stitch line along the bottom.

When I made mine, I left the back flap side open (where it opens in the back) to allow me to fold the vest right side in, then fold in the side lines where the Velcro goes to close the line, instead of leaving the bottom open. I hope that makes sense.
  11. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Apr 14, 2008, 12:08 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #11

Quote LadySewforus said: View Post
    I wish I could give out test samples, darn, but I would fear the consequences.
    I did add my name to the Karma list, though.

LOPERO,
    I guess we need a really good pic with armor, to test out the sleeves.
    Armor size varies too. Andy CGNgamer, will be visiting my area soon and will pick-up his flightsuit, belt pouches, vest and neckseal. I will have him model for me and that may give us a better idea of the size. I am sure he will be happy to give us pics with the armor, when he has attached it.

Thanks for the input!!
    I could bring my new FPv3 armour with me Double sided tape could hold the armour in place for a few pictures

See you on Sunday!!
    Apr 14, 2008, 12:13 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #12

I thought I might be too confusing...

I have attached two photos (hopefully they work) that might help.
    The shoulder seems just long enough to allow the attachment of the armor (only extends to the first cornor point on the armor)

What I ment about the bottom is shown in the photo. Where you would have to two sides of the vest (front and interior) facing each other (inside out) then stitch around the edges to connect the two, leaving one side open to allow you to fold them right side out. The open side edges would then be folded in and then stiched down to close it. What I did, was that my open side was the side edge of the back closure. This allowed the bottom, neck and shoulders to have no visiable stitch line, since the closure was hidding under the Velcro.

Name:	Vest Vers2 43.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	23944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vest Vers2 16.JPG 
Views:	465 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	23945  
    Last edited by Seven; Apr 14, 2008 at 6:27 PM.
  13. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 4:07 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #13

So very lost on part of that, sorry, it just does not click. Is that picture of your vest?

I will try to look at this further later, when not at work.

I will ask questions later, I am sure.

Quote Seven said: View Post
    I thought I might be too confusing...

I have attached two photos (hopefully they work) that might help.
    The shoulder seems just long enough to allow the attachment of the armor (only extends to the first cornor point on the armor)

What I ment about the bottom is shown in the photo. Where you would have to two sides of the vest (front and interior) facing each other (inside out) then stitch around the edges to connect the two, leaving one side open to allow you to fold them right side out. The open side edges would then be folded in and then stiched down to close it. What I did, was that my open side was the side edge of the back closure. This allowed the bottom, neck and shoulders to have no visiable stitch line, since the closure was hidding under the Velcro.
  14. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 4:08 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #14

Thanks Andy,
    That would be great!!!

Where are we meeting up, at the park, saber class?

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    I could bring my new FPv3 armour with me Double sided tape could hold the armour in place for a few pictures

See you on Sunday!!
  15. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 4:15 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #15

My husband interpreted for me, LOL.

I do sew it as you are explaining here, but I add the extra stitch, the "top stitching" intentionally. I thought I saw top stitching on the actual vest somewhere. I will look for pics again and see what I can come up with

Thanks!!!

So very lost on part of that, sorry, it just does not click. Is that picture of your vest?

I will try to look at this further later, when not at work.

I will ask questions later, I am sure.

16. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 4:25 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #16

I have been looking at this for a couple of days now...... the bottom edge is different than what I do.... look at the pic below, I got this from the link that Brak has given us.
    The bottom edge is piping,

I, and probably others, did the top stitching here, but it is piping!!

Piping is labor intensive. I wonder how important this is to everyone.

Thoughts from the group would be appreciated!!
    Apr 14, 2008, 4:39 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #17

Just my 2p... but could it be that the two panels are indeed sewn together and folded back (As Seven suggests) and that the rear panel has dropped due to the inner batting material? I don't see piping?
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 4:42 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #18

But wait, there is more....... I noticed this about a week ago too, but did not take a close enough look, piping where the sleeves attach to the vest, not top stitching.

I am trying to find some pic that shows the neck edge on the actual vest....

So now, the big question is, does everyone want me to add this detail, and if so, the price would probably go up. I would have to make the piping myself, out of the tackle twill and attaching takes up quite a bit of time as well.
  19. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 4:50 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #19

One more pic, the piping is attached only between the sleeve and the vest, and not all the way around the armhole...

Can anyone find pics of what the neckline looks like???
    Apr 14, 2008, 5:00 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #20

Try these...

Looks like the same detail as the base...
    Last edited by Mojo-Fett; Jun 22, 2008 at 5:44 AM.
  21. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 5:57 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #21

That is a good shot of the neck and it looks to me like there is NO piping or top-stitching around the neck
    Apr 14, 2008, 8:32 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #22

... Is that picture of your vest?
    They are photos from MotM. The Vest from AoSW and MotM are slightly different from each other. One noticable difference is the length of the Velcro down the back. One goes all the way to the bottom, while the other appears to stop about 4" away. Attached are a few more ref photos from MotM (shoulder and bottom edge).

There is no top stitch on the MotM vest at the bottom edge, and I think on the AoSW vest there isn't one either. What looks like a top stitch I think is the interior sticking out from the bottom creating an illusion. It may have been pulled a little exposing some of the stitching

Name:	Vest Vers2 29.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	23955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vest Vers2 43.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	23956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vest Vers2 08.JPG 
Views:	432 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	23957  

Last edited by Seven; Apr 14, 2008 at 8:41 PM.
  23. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 14, 2008, 9:56 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #23

I would rather not add piping. Ug! So that is good news, but what about the sleeve, there is a very clear second seam. What would you say that is?
  24. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Apr 16, 2008, 11:22 PM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #24

OH BOY CHECK THIS OUT......

I think this is the same pics as Seven posted, but it really hit me now.

YOUR ARE RIGHT THE SLEEVES ARE SMALLER. (CHOIR SINGS)

Last edited by LadySewforus; Apr 16, 2008 at 11:31 PM.
  25. skygunbro is offline skygunbro
    Apr 17, 2008, 1:17 AM - Re: Constructive Criticism Wanted, my Flak Vest*pic intensive* #25

The pic that shows the bottom is Not piping but merely where the inside of the vest has come mis aligned and is showing on the front side....follow the seam line and see where it starts to go back where it needs to be.