Confessions of an amatuer armorer

Confessions of an amatuer armorer

I just sold my first set of armor on Ebay. It was the same 18 gauge basic sheet metal set that I have offered in the Cargo Hold. It went for a whopping $36 US. wheeee...

This is more of an observation than a question but any insight or advice would be appreciated. I spent 4+ hours cutting, deburring and sanding the armor and went through about $10 CAN in cutting disks. The final product was truly something I could be proud of. However, if it was just $$$ that I was after, I could have bought a sheet of sintra and produced 4 sets for less money!?! with more boiling but less cutting work.

So, I guess the question is... what motivates people to make armor? Surely not the money since I made about $8/hr on mine. Are there such things as armor purists?

From
    Massachusetts

Re: Confessions of an amatuer armorer

Dude you should have put a starting price in. Otherwise you can really get screwed like you did.

Just throwing this out, but accuracy is something else to consider. The originals were not made of metal, and it could be a possible detraction point for some potential buyers.

Not that the originals were made of sintra, but people might be more comfortable with a lighter set of armor.

Rodann

Well, if I want about $100 for something, I put a starting bid between $50-100, with a BIN of $150. I try not to let myself get screwed, after selling my Darth Maul for much less than I wanted.

As far as accuracy, I prefer plastic. Jango's armor flexed in a couple scenes, and I was always under the impression "plastisteel" was the rule of thumb in SW- from Troopers to Vader.

But metal IS more impressive.

Well, i take it all back. I made my first set of Sintra armor and it was freakin' eeeeesy!

Now the only question is, 1/8" or 1/4" sintra...hmmm...

Make your starting price the lowest your willing to take.
    Or the reserve.Say $50.00 Then if you want the buy it now.Say
    $75.00 or $100.00 I have found that people really like the buy it now option.Not to many people want to watch an auction
    till the end.Especially when they can use A buy it now.