CNC Machining

From
    San Diego, CA

CNC Machining

O.K., How much does commissioning a metal reproduction cost??? Like if I wanted a metal "dental expander" or a gauntlet rocket, how much would it cost?? How about from something like wax, or wood???

Thanks in advance.

Re: CNC Machining

To venture a guess, I'd say you'd be looking at at least a few hundred dollars to have anything prototyped. It would certainly cost WAY more than buying the part from someone like Serenity, RussRep or MojoFett.

From
    San Diego, CA

O.K, that's what I thought, but If that's the case, how do mojo,serenity or Russ make money???

From
    Amity

from what ive read the big cost isnt so much the machining it self but the cost it takes for someone to program the machine to cut out what you want. ive heard estimates of $100 an hour to program before and depending on how complicated the design it can take some time to make it in the computer. but i suppose if you were actually working as a machinist it isnt costing you the hourly rate.

From
    San Diego, CA

What if I provide the 3d model for them to machine??? Also, how about if I provide the machinable wax, or aluminum, or whatever else???

From
    UK

I may not be the right guy to ask as I'm UK... but shoot me a PM and let me know what it is you are after?

Fractal-Fett said: View Post
    O.K, that's what I thought, but If that's the case, how do mojo,serenity or Russ make money???
    a combination of volume sales and them not really making all that much of a profit. i'd bet you would be surprised to see how tight the margins are, especially on small bits like the darts.

that's why when i needed a master rocket to use for molding, i just contacted russ about getting one of his to use. i paid more than "retail" for it, but much less than it would be to prototype one of my own.

From
    San Diego, CA

stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    a combination of volume sales and them not really making all that much of a profit. i'd bet you would be surprised to see how tight the margins are, especially on small bits like the darts.

that's why when i needed a master rocket to use for molding, i just contacted russ about getting one of his to use. i paid more than "retail" for it, but much less than it would be to prototype one of my own.
    O.K. I've kind of known that this isn't a hobby to be in if you want to make money, but I guess you REALLY don't make money.

P.S. What do you mean by prototyping???

P.P.S How are you coming with that gauntlet build??? It was REALLY inspiring.

The gauntlet build is all done, 'cept for molding the rocket, which I just haven't gotten around to yet

By prototyping I mean working with a machinist to turn a cad file into an actual rocket. There are usually multiple iterations while you get it right (and you pay for those).

I looked into it VERY briefly and it was hard to even find someone that would bother with making just 1.

From
    San Diego, CA

stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    The gauntlet build is all done, 'cept for molding the rocket, which I just haven't gotten around to yet

By prototyping I mean working with a machinist to turn a cad file into an actual rocket. There are usually multiple iterations while you get it right (and you pay for those).

I looked into it VERY briefly and it was hard to even find someone that would bother with making just 1.
    Sounds like a conspiracy man....... *60's drawl...*

From
    UK

Hi mate it really depends on what you need made, For example not all jobs will go on the cnc lathe/mill etc. Is the part complex?? can it just be done on the lathe? I do a lot of my small runs on the lathe by hand. For example the obi grenade run I DID had to be all cnc'd as there were 100's off and it was a VERY complex part, Can you post a pic of what your after?
    Russ

From
    San Diego, CA

Just general info Russ, I was just looking at basic prices, in case I do something in the future. Also, when doing it by hand, do you just have it spin and then shape it with tools??? kind of like a potters wheel???

From
    UK

Fractal-Fett said: View Post
    when doing it by hand, do you just have it spin and then shape it with tools??? kind of like a potters wheel???
    Bruv, Have you ever used a lathe? potters wheel?

From
    San Diego, CA

I've used a Potters wheel before, but not a lathe.

From
    UK

It's not really the same process bro? altho I will add that you do have a turning piece of material and can use formers to manipulate the media but turning materials such as steel or ali on a lathe is a tad more complex...

From
    UK

Not really a potters wheel lol!! Heres a little clip of me machining the start of the caps for the Terminator flask!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF7-v...eature=related

And here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjkkkz07Wug&NR=1

Russ

From
    San Diego, CA

I bet you're right Mojo, I don't think my butter knife will make much of an impression on ali.

Thanks for the vid russ, I will check it out.