Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Nov 30, 2013, 1:51 PM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #26

Dec 9, 2013, 11:56 AM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #27

Great post, thanks! I have been debating what method to use for attaching my plates, and magnets were up there on the list (no offense but I think you talked me into Velcro/snaps). Nice plates btw, where'd you get em and what are they made of? Fiberglass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jan 3, 2014, 1:06 PM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #29

Thanks RKD. I took your advice and picked up a set of N50 Disc Neodymium Magnet Dia 1 x 1/8" NdFeB Rare Earth 6-Count from Amazon for the shoulder armor. They're ridiculously strong (12.7 lbs Holding Power), but will work well for the shoulders.
  4. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Jan 8, 2014, 3:09 PM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #30

amazing idea going to try this method
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Jan 19, 2014, 10:23 PM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #31

This is a great idea. I've seen this work before. I will be doing this with my armor also.
    Jan 28, 2014, 12:03 AM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #32

Another small point to consider when using magnets to attach the armour is weathering.
    I've been using ground up pastels (and flat black paint) to weather my armour and I attached my magnets before I finished painting. I discovered that the ground up pastels were attracted to the magnets on the other side of the armour and made perfect circles of "dirt", which wasn't quite the look that was a I was going for .
    I had to apply a light coat of dullcote and then use a makeup brush to distribute the ground pastels more evenly, before applying more dullcote. I'm working on BM V3 amour. I'm not sure if all pastels are attracted to magnets, as I've never worked with them before, but mine were and I wanted to pass that along.
  7. Member Since
    Feb 2014
    Mar 22, 2014, 6:31 PM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #33

Great idea! Any concerns for someone who has a pacemaker? I don't have one, but it just kinda crossed my mind.
  8. Member Since
    May 2014
    May 12, 2014, 11:31 PM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #34

Dude this is so awesome!! I thought I was gonna have to break out a sewing machine or something lol, thanks for the tip man definately doing this.... Do you know what they did for his costume in the original movie?
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Jul 4, 2014, 1:59 AM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #35

How did you attach the magnets to the vest? Is there more than one suggested method?
    Jul 4, 2014, 2:19 AM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #36

I gorilla glued some to the plates...others jb weld...even others hot glue. Then I had the magnets on the inside of the vest on attached permanently at all while I got alignment right. Once I was for sure they were correctly placed (and not by just my eyes), I used a pencil to outline the plates. Then I took the vest off carefully and ensured the alignment did not shift, flip the vest roughly inside out and hot glued over the magnets to keep them in place. I have had a couple of magnets on the inside come off but it's easy to see where the magnet goes, plus you have the others keeping your alignment correct. I am almost at 150 troops and this method has been solid for me.

Just keep in mind making little pockets over the magnets, sewing them down other ways and even putting an iron on patch over top of the magnet will not work due to the metal tools you will be using. I tired all those slick ideas and hot glue was easier, faster and worked aces.
  11. 17 Hours Ago - Oct 22, 2014, 11:05 AM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #37

Im going to do Velcro, I think the next build will be magnets.
    16 Hours Ago - Oct 22, 2014, 12:18 PM - Re: Chest armor utilizing magnet attachment method #38

Quote kfalcon77 said: View Post
    How did you attach the magnets to the vest? Is there more than one suggested method?
    This was an older post, but I wanted to answer the question anyway,
    The great thing about this method is that you don't have to attach the magnets permanently to the vest. You can if you want, of course, but I just glued the magnets to the armour and placed the other magnet on the other side of the vest. I adjust as needed until I'm happy with placement. They're strong enough to stay in place and you don't have to attach them to the vest if you don't want to.
    I also just tried magnets with my knee armour and I'm happy with the result. I don't need to sew velcro to my jumpsuit and the armor to hold them up. I still have the elastic straps in the back, but the magnets are what holds them up now.