Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. SlavetotheMuse
    Jan 9, 2003, 8:50 PM - Merged: Gauntlet help...again #1

since i last posted about my gauntlets(about 2 days ago) i've constructed light cardboard gauntlets,(and very weak as you might think)they're basically held together with tape, hot glue, and a layer of drying paper mache as i type this. i haven't had much of a chance to play with sintra to much, i was wondering, seeing as it conforms so nicely to other things(haven't be able to try this, just ordered more sintra tonight to play w/) would i be able to 'mold' some sintra over top of the cardboard 'frame' and come out with a nice gauntlet(depending on the detail i've already done and how the sintra works out)i've constructed the basic shape of the right gauntlet so far, not much detail, it was pretty boxy now it has those nicely rounded edges i made w/ paper mache.

so basicaly, would i be able to 'mold' sintra over this frame and come out with a nice form? has this even been played w/ before? sheesh i wish i had money to build a vacuum forming table....
    thanks again guys
    Jan 10, 2003, 3:06 AM - Merged: Re: Gauntlet help...again #2

Well, here is an idea, since you are willing to try stuff, you could build a rough sintra model and use some Bondo to spread over it. You would need to kinda sand it into the shape you wanted, but it would be stronger than cardboard and paper mache, and hold up better.
    Jan 10, 2003, 1:20 PM - Merged: Re: Gauntlet help...again #3

I'd do the exact opposite. Make the base out of Sintra which is sturdier than paper mache' or cardboard, and then build up on top of it. Just remember: paper mache' + too much water = mush
  4. SlavetotheMuse
    Jan 10, 2003, 10:42 PM - Merged: Re: Gauntlet help...again #4

yea i cleaned up the gauntlet and decided to just stick with it how it is, it came out reasonably strong, i'm just gonna hang w/ this(just like my makeshift jet pack) until i get enough money to buy a nice kit....i'd pot pics...but i don't know how
    Jan 11, 2003, 1:10 AM - Merged: Re: Gauntlet help...again #5

I found that making a set out of cardboard was a good ref. for making them again out of sintra. I cut out all the pieces and just taped them together. Changes are easy to make, and when they look right take them apart and use them for sintra templates.
    Jan 30, 2003, 12:30 PM - cardboard gaunts!?!? #6

I've taken a leaf out of Secols book (BTW sorry to here about your loss matey ) and made myself some cardboard gauntlets.
    They're hardly movie accurate but they cost next to nothin and as me and the wife are expecting our first baby soon I will probably have no extra cash for about ooh 18 years.
    Anyway here they are what do you reckon:

Fett-UK
  7. Jan 30, 2003, 12:37 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #7

I believe that I would proudly wear these if they were mine. That's a great job. The fact that they're cardboard is plain icing on the cake.
    Jan 30, 2003, 1:34 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #8

Hard to tell they're cardboard!!! Nice job mate!

Jan 30, 2003, 1:58 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #9

Awesome origami Fett UK!!!! Have you sealed them properly for moisture protection?
    Jan 30, 2003, 2:22 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #10

I've sprayed them with silicone spray, that will hopefully help a little. I will just have to try not getting them wet (which may be difficult living in the UK)

11. O. F. Fett
    Jan 30, 2003, 2:54 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #11

Pretty nice, I may have to look into that
    when I get ready to do mine. Very innovative.

O.F.
    Jan 30, 2003, 3:03 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #12

Those are great, Nice job!!!
    Jan 30, 2003, 3:51 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #13

Brilliant!

You think you might wanna post a bit of a tutorial on how you made those beauties?
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Jan 30, 2003, 3:52 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #14

awesome if you didnt tell me they were cardboard woulnd have no idea.great job

now you have to tell us how u did it
  15. Appolo_50
    Jan 30, 2003, 4:20 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #15

2 WOW those things are cool!!! I would never ever ever ever *gasp for air* be able to tell those are cardboard (except for the tip of the rocket. U definitely gotta post a tutorial
  16. Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Jan 30, 2003, 8:35 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #16

Holy Cow! Those are cardboard?! Great job!!!!
  17. Jan 30, 2003, 8:42 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #17

Wouldn't it be cool if FU could sell the idea to Dixie(c), and they could make these and put them in those tubes like on a water cooler for paper cups. Think of the dubloons to be generated with a tube at every door to a con.

PS....I was going to change my abbreviation, but after typing it out, the UK part was even less acceptable.
    Jan 30, 2003, 8:54 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #18

Cardboard? Damm they look nothing look cardboard! Awesome work!
    Jan 30, 2003, 9:01 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #19

Whoa, those looke great. Mind making me a set
    Jan 30, 2003, 9:32 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #20

Come on post pics of the real cardboard gaunt FettUK. Great Work man.
    Jan 31, 2003, 12:46 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #21

I'm not very good at giving tutorials,but it was just a case of cut the card to the right shape and stick it together!
    this is how I did it if it helps!!
    The main body is made from one piece of plastic(sintra) and velcroed at the bottom, then all the card bits were taped and glued to it, i then painted the whole thing with gloss paint (to help waterproof, dosnt matter what colour) when dry i then painted the whole thing silver.
    The darts are actually arrow heads (a mate is into archery) the rocket was a piece of plastic pipe wrapped in card with strips of card glued to it to add the ridges,I also mashed a calculater to get the rubber keypad and stuck pieces of thin aluminium plate to key parts to give a smooth metallic finish (it helps that I work at a printers, plenty of scrap aluminium)
    Then put a bit of rubber glue on certain areas that i wanted to keep silver, sprayed the lot red, peeled of the glue, a quick squirt with silicone spray and wahey there you go - cardboard gauntlets!!!!

Fett-UK
  22. Member Since
    Sep 2002
    Jan 31, 2003, 2:10 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #22

Not bad, I am a veteran of the ol' cardboard gauntlets myself. Surprisingly those things hold together pretty well if you make them right. I used a lot of foam board. Pretty sweet!
  23. jdos
    Jan 31, 2003, 9:28 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #23

Men !! really a great job ...

24. Vec Toryn
    Jan 31, 2003, 10:25 PM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #24

Holy sh@T, batman!! I'll have to rethink my standing on cardboard.
    Feb 3, 2003, 3:06 AM - Re: cardboard gaunts!?!? #25

Some of you guys are really amazing. That's great. When I first read "cardboard" my first thought was that they probably weren't gonna be too hot and then I saw the picture as thought "WOW!". Very impressed.