Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 15, 2010, 6:39 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #76

What's the main diffrens on the ESB boots and ROTJ boots ???
    Apr 30, 2010, 1:00 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #77

I did a modified version of this tutorial on my old pair of Mark Cheng Boba boots tonight. I actually changed the entire colors of the Cheng's darker so they're more accurately colored now. I used the charcoal/white mix on the main body of the boots, then on the center stripe used a mix of charcoal/black but then went back over the stripe again with the rag I used to wipe on the charcoal/white to tone it down some.

I colored the side elastic panels first with straight charcoal color, but then went over it again with the charcoal/black mixture I used on the center stripe.

I couldn't get my purple/black areas as perfect as the museum suits, but there's a little in the front sections where it's supposed to be.

I'm planning on drybrushing the little detail lines on top of the black piping of the boots as seen in the museum exhibits. What color should I use, silver?
    Apr 30, 2010, 9:10 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #78

Before weathering, here's the color difference. Top boot is the original lighter Cheng boot color, bottom boot was with the mixture of Charcoal and White as in the tutorial. I made that color mix and added water and then dipped an old rag into it and rubbed along each section of boot a few times until the whole surface darkened.

4. May 27, 2010, 5:37 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #79

And the dead rise mwhahaha
    Sorry for necro posting guys, but this thread is so helpful for any noobs that are starting the weathering process. And im my opinion weathering on fabric is alot harder than on armour, So thank you for this spideyfett. And I know I havant been here long but I seriously think that this should be stickied as i know its goin to help me out aswell as others too, and shouldnt get lost with the old threads.
    Lewis
  5. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 2, 2010, 8:51 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #80

Great tutorial. =)
  6. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 2, 2010, 8:52 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #81

Quote Spideyfett said: View Post
    Forgot to post these..

ROTJ version, Ivansith's.

Are those CA Boots that have been weathered? It looks like there isn't a "Hump" in the middle. Did you fix that and if so, how?
    Jun 3, 2010, 6:33 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #82

Quote Little TK Boy said: View Post
    What's the main diffrens on the ESB boots and ROTJ boots ???
    I'd like to know that too.
    Aug 8, 2010, 5:41 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #83

Quote Nihkoute said: View Post
    I'd like to know that too.
    anyone?
  9. Aug 10, 2010, 2:24 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #84

Great tutorial. I have my new boots from Wes. Now to get them dirty.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Aug 24, 2010, 4:21 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #85

Just got my new boots, time to try this!
    Aug 24, 2010, 1:11 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #86

Thread stickied.
  12. Aug 24, 2010, 3:46 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #87

Nice one Webchief, this is an excellent tutorial that worked wonders on my boots. Should help loads of people, Cheers Alex
    Welsh
    Aug 29, 2010, 12:17 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #88

I would love to start my weathering on my boots... but I still don't know the diffrens btwen ROTJ and ESB...
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Aug 29, 2010, 2:42 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #89

thanks for the info....
    Oct 2, 2010, 10:06 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #90

Thanks for the info! This is possibly the best tutorial on this that I have found! Now if CABoots would just get done making mine and send them.......
    Nov 1, 2010, 7:12 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #91

OK so I just got my CABoots in the mail on Saturday, and imagine my surprise when I open the box and they are suede!!!!!! Not happy!!!!! I will be calling them tomorrow (had too much work today to fit it in) and complaining....they are supposed to be the best reproduction ever????????
  17. Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Dec 5, 2010, 5:03 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #92

This is a great tutorial, very cool! Thanks for this!
    Dec 9, 2010, 11:09 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #93

I wanted to show what this tutorial could do on a pair of the new styled, JangoWes boots.

First here's how they come. Nice and shiny new....and WAY too light and clean.

And remembering that this is what you're trying to emulate:

I followed Alex's boot weathering tutorial and found it to be a great resource.

First up was the wash of Charcoal and White

Then I needed to darken the dark areas with straight charcoal.

The next step was to wet brush charcoal into the recessed areas around the stiching and blend it in using a paper towel.

Then came some of the weathering using a mixture of Straw and Burnt Umber. You paint in the lines in the soles of the boots as well as give the entire white area a wash with the color. You can wipe away the paint if it goes on too thick. Also, you want to get some of the straw/umber mix up in the bottoms of the boot so it looks dirty.

The next step is to take the Purple and mix it with white and dry brush it onto the creases in the dark areas and mix it with black and dry brush it into the creases on the lighter areas.

Next, I took 220 grit sandpaper and scuffed up some of the areas around the elastic, the toe and the arches to highlight it. I also then took and stippled, wet brushed, dry brushed and flicked paint onto the soles to dirty them up more.

The final step was to install the toe spikes I got from Mojo Fett.

In the end, it was a lot of fun dirtying them up and they look a million times better!
    Dec 9, 2010, 11:55 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #94

so from reading the replies on here, i see a bunch of unanswered questions about the difference between ESB and RotJ weathering.

the simplest way to tell is to just look at them both and see how they are different. if you are going to be painting this stuff, you need to stare at it until you can see what you are painting. otherwise all the tutorials in the world aren't going to help. look in the gallery, watch the dvds, etc...

i've been saying this a lot on a lot of different forums lately, but the single greatest tutorial you can ever read is this: "Make it look like the picture". that's it
    Aug 18, 2011, 12:25 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #95

Going to try this great thread !! Thanks !
    Nov 10, 2011, 7:21 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #96

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post

i've been saying this a lot on a lot of different forums lately, but the single greatest tutorial you can ever read is this: "Make it look like the picture". that's it
    Ha ha ha, this is classic, i never thought of it that way, of course! *slaps head*
    Nov 25, 2011, 10:35 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #97

has anybody done this exact tutorial on a pair of MOW's? His are more whiter/cream colored so I was wondering if using the paints would get the same results?
    Nov 25, 2011, 11:18 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #98

you'll need to make them gray and black first, then begin the weathering process.
    Nov 26, 2011, 7:58 AM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #99

Yep, just keep doing the gray/charcoal wash until they darken.
  25. Jan 28, 2012, 6:06 PM - Re: CA BOOTS/ Weathering #100

Niice Weathering!!!