Subscribe
    Mar 22, 2006, 4:05 PM - CA Boots weathering? #1

I have a brand new pair of CA boots and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to weather them for an ESB Fett?
    Mar 22, 2006, 4:13 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #2

Quote sancho said:
    I have a brand new pair of CA boots and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to weather them for an ESB Fett?
    For either Fett:

Mist the black parts with gray.

Mist the gray parts with black.

Mist the sides of the soles with a blend of both to dirty them up.
    Mar 22, 2006, 4:17 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #3

that's basically what i did.

i sprayed the whole thing with grey, then hit the grey parts with some black. i went over them a couple of times. grey on black on grey on black, in very light coats.
    Mar 22, 2006, 4:21 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #4

Did you guys use spray paints? If so is there a specific type of paint I should use or can I just grab any can of grey and black paint?
    Mar 22, 2006, 4:28 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #5

Quote sancho said:
    Did you guys use spray paints? If so is there a specific type of paint I should use or can I just grab any can of grey and black paint?
    An air brush would be better as it produces a finer mist.

You can use spray cans, but you'll want to experiment on cardboard, old shoes or what ever to figure the distance and how the mist lays downs.

You want any flat black and primer gray (the light or medium gray).
    Mar 22, 2006, 5:03 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #6

Quote sancho said:
    If you have an airbrush, the best paints to use would be ones that are specifically designed for fabric. Createx makes a line of ready-to-airbrush colors. They're pretty inexpensive, and can be found at most larger hobby stores (Ben Franklin, Hobby Lobby, etc.)

If you have no airbrush, I would recommend using acrylic sprays--not enamels. And like others have mentioned, mist the paint on (whichever method you go with), don't spray too close.
    Mar 22, 2006, 5:18 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #7

I agree with everybody else. If you have to use a spray can, be very carefull or you'll end up getting black speckles all over your boots. might be a good idea to practice on something else like an old pair of sneakers before you try it on your CAs
    D
    Mar 22, 2006, 6:13 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #8

Yeah. I have more or less the same advice others are offering.

If you are using spray paints make sure you practice so when you start spraying you don't have spots that are saturated or darker than others. You're misting basically not painting. Also, if you have an airbrush investigate the fabric paints. I used something similar with my airbrush when I helped a friend redesign a messenger bag of hers.

-=QuinN!
  9. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Apr 7, 2006, 10:43 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #9

Could I just rub them in dirt for a while? Or wash them a bunch of times to take away some colour?
  10. cookiemongoloid is offline cookiemongoloid
    Apr 7, 2006, 10:48 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #10

Quote GCNgamer128 said:
    Could I just rub them in dirt for a while? Or wash them a bunch of times to take away some colour?
    Haha, I suppose. I considered doing it...It'd be authentic.
    Apr 8, 2006, 2:22 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #11

I mixed a little dark blue paint(whatever paint) and some brown and washed that over the grey part, then a lighter version over the black parts, an off-white, yellow colour on the soles (washed, not really painted on with a brush or anything) and then finally some silver spots on the stripes.

and then misted them with grey, black and brown, wich kind of blends it all together and makes the silver look un-silver like, but gives the nice spotted effect they imo, should have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boots.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	9602  
    Apr 8, 2006, 3:38 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #12

I did much the same-airbrushed with a fine mist of matt black and a magic ingredient-strong cold tea!! Did the tea thing on the flightsuit too, works a treat and doesnt wash out easily!! Also dyed the side pockets using a strong tea solution from grey to the light tan for ROTJ.
    Apr 8, 2006, 6:23 PM - Re: CA Boots weathering? #13

If you look at the pix of the boots on the MOM and AOSW, the boots had a rust colored mist on them as well.