Aug 1, 2015, 11:13 PM - bzb's ESB Build #1

No clue how long this will take me, as I swore no more costumes (for me) after Vader. I'm exceptionally fortunate to get to use another Garrison member's fantastic ESB Fett, and I'll upgrade parts of his, while building my own.

Soft Parts
    Flight Suit, Neck Seal, Pouches - Arkady (ordered)
    Gloves - Mike M (complete)
    Pack harness - homemade (complete)
    Cape - homemade (complete)
    Shin Tools - made from 5mm ABS and found parts (complete)

Cod, ABS - RKD
    Kidney, ABS - RKD
    Back, ABS - RKD
    Gauntlets, ABS - RKD
    Chest Plates , Fiberglass - Unknown Maker

Other Bits
    Collar studs - made from keyboard keys and nylon screws
    US Diver Buckle (replica) - Geoff (ordered)
    Last edited by bzb; 1 Day Ago at 10:07 AM.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Aug 1, 2015, 11:17 PM - Re: bzb's ESB Build #2

Gloves - fit great, love em. Gotta weather them, but will probably wait until I get the flight suit to try to match up the technique.

Aug 1, 2015, 11:20 PM - Re: bzb's ESB Build #3

Started making shin tools using WOF's templates: Have some leftover 5mm ABS from an abandoned R2 build, so I used that largely.

For the survival knife, I used a dremel to cut the holes. The cap is held on with CA glue. Gave it all a rough sanding, then shot it with some self etching primer. Two coats of gold Valspar paint, then weathered with acrylics: Pure Gold, Latte, Brown, Black and Pure Silver.

4 Days Ago - Oct 1, 2015, 1:09 PM - Re: bzb's ESB Build #4

Cape time. Went to Joanne and found duck cloth on sale. Grabbed one yard of "medium taupe" and a half yard of "sepia" and matched it up with some photos, it looks pretty good.

Went off RafalFett's dimensions and sewed it with heavy duty thread using a few different stitches.

This stuff started out really, really stiff and heavy. To weather it, I used scissors to cut approximate holes according to the pattern, then I took an orbital sander with a 80grit disc on it to give the frayed look. I then went over the entire cape with the 80 grit to make it look older. Additionally, this sanding made the cape much softer and hangs much better now. Afterward, washed it cold water with vinegar and dried it on high heat with a couple tennis balls for about 30 minutes.

It's pretty soft now, and the sanding has definitely made it look "worn" - a small application of black wash and tossed it into the washer/dryer one more time, and I think it's ready to go.

4 Days Ago - Oct 1, 2015, 7:14 PM - Re: bzb's ESB Build #5

Looks great.
    1 Day Ago - Oct 5, 2015, 10:09 AM - Re: bzb's ESB Build #6

Thanks Matt! I'm quite pleased with how the cape turned out.

This past weekend, I purchased parts from an in-progress ROTJ Fett from a prospective member. He's raising funds for an adoption and will hopefully be joining the Georgia Garrison with a different costume soon!

He has quite the assortment of parts, some of them really good (animefan bucket, RKD's armor, Arkady's flight suit) and some are just not quite right for my ESB build... so I'll be parting those out shortly.

First thing's first... sanding, sanding, and more... sanding.
    20 Hours Ago - Oct 5, 2015, 3:07 PM - Re: bzb's ESB Build #7

Going through my parts, I need a couple greeblies for the gauntlets. Does anyone make just the whipcord housing for the right gauntlet? I couldn't find a 3D print.