Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Jun 18, 2015, 8:57 PM - Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #1

Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself....Hi, I'm Mike. I have been lurking these hallowed digital walls for the last month or so gaining wisdom and inspiration for my first ever costume build. I figured I could be a closet builder and hide in the depths of space until my brother did something awesome for me.

This:img_1896-jpg

I have been building a budget Fett costume for the last month. I told my brother, who happens to build dragsters, what I was up to. He got so excited that he was like" You know, you should really build that helmet out of aluminum." Where I aptly replied, why don't you do it. He took it to heart. This helmet it based off of the Wizard Of Light templates. It is a fabricated aluminum helmet, and I cant wait to do the finishing work!!! It has taken him about a month to build. Best thing of all...He did it for free!!!

So this is props to my little brother. Super talented, and generous.
    img_1912-jpgimg_1918-jpgimg_1915-jpgimg_1909-jpgimg_1906-jpgimg_1905-jpgimg_1903-jpgimg_1901-jpg
    img_1898-jpg

I plan on this being my build thread, and have a lot of my costume done, and want to show it with more of a progression. I am mainly building with 3mm PVC board. I have the chest armor, cod, gauntlets, and jetpack. built, and will be posting them soon as well. But please, enjoy the helmet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1896-jpg  
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Jun 18, 2015, 9:11 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #2

Piece of art you have an awesome brother
  4. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Jun 18, 2015, 10:30 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #3

Dude! That is slick, and can you imagine if you left it with that polished aluminum look? That second picture is wild! High five your brother for us!
  5. Jun 19, 2015, 5:02 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #4

looks great! your brother has done an awesome job. you must be very happy and proud
  6. Jun 19, 2015, 7:04 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #5

I keep thinking I may need to make a silicon/fiberglass mold of this thing and make another helmet, and this one would sit in a glass case.
    Jun 19, 2015, 9:07 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #6

Beautiful!!!
  8. Jun 19, 2015, 10:06 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #7

wow...thats awesome. Superclean work too..your bro knows what he's doing! Congrats on owning that piece of art!
  9. Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Jun 19, 2015, 10:53 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #8

Looking good dude I'm just about to repaint my helmet again from scratch. I need to get a better green going on!
    Jun 19, 2015, 11:01 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #9

Can I have your brother please...I'll swap...mines quite nice really, you'll like him....honestly
    Quote TheBloodyHanded said: View Post
    Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself....Hi, I'm Mike. I have been lurking these hallowed digital walls for the last month or so gaining wisdom and inspiration for my first ever costume build. I figured I could be a closet builder and hide in the depths of space until my brother did something awesome for me.

This:img_1896-jpg

I have been building a budget Fett costume for the last month. I told my brother, who happens to build dragsters, what I was up to. He got so excited that he was like" You know, you should really build that helmet out of aluminum." Where I aptly replied, why don't you do it. He took it to heart. This helmet it based off of the Wizard Of Light templates. It is a fabricated aluminum helmet, and I cant wait to do the finishing work!!! It has taken him about a month to build. Best thing of all...He did it for free!!!

So this is props to my little brother. Super talented, and generous.
    img_1912-jpgimg_1918-jpgimg_1915-jpgimg_1909-jpgimg_1906-jpgimg_1905-jpgimg_1903-jpgimg_1901-jpg
    img_1898-jpg

I plan on this being my build thread, and have a lot of my costume done, and want to show it with more of a progression. I am mainly building with 3mm PVC board. I have the chest armor, cod, gauntlets, and jetpack. built, and will be posting them soon as well. But please, enjoy the helmet.
    Jun 19, 2015, 12:34 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #10

Looks like a great job for a scratch build. Really clean and nice detail. I'm looking forward to how you approach the armor.
  12. Member Since
    May 2015
    Jun 19, 2015, 2:29 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #11

Does your brother need another brother? Fantastic work - looks great!
    Jun 19, 2015, 7:17 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #12

Looks gr8
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jun 19, 2015, 9:48 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #13

Phenomenal work, and one amazing bro! You should be proud.
    Jun 22, 2015, 9:41 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #14

That is awesome! You know that helmet will last!

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk
  16. Jun 23, 2015, 6:52 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #15

Since this is a budget build I will be scratch building everything. Even the blaster. I have a lot of this costume almost finished. I wish I would have taken more process photos as I made some of this stuff. Here is my Rocket Pack so far. All I need to address is the side jets and creating a harness to attach it. This was built with 1/8' PVC board, PVC pipe and Bondo. Raided some old paintball stuff as well. The rocket has a couple of "found parts" including a dial from a sewing machine, old tank tread and a plastic cup. Once it is painted I think it will look good. I am a little concerned about the weight, but it's what I have to work with.
    img_1867-jpgimg_1868-jpgimg_1871-jpgimg_1877-jpgimg_1879-jpgimg_1888-jpg
    Jun 25, 2015, 12:46 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #16

I'm jealous, you got mad skills

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Jun 25, 2015, 7:35 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #17

You definitely got some skills!
  19. Jun 27, 2015, 1:45 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #18

So a few weeks into this build I realized that there would be no way for me to create a perfect replica with the resources that I have. So with that in mind I took a bit of license with some parts I did not care for that much on the costume. I am going for the essence of Boba Fett rather than a 501st grade costume. I am taking a lot of inspiration from the Mythos statue. So I will be adding the skirt, and the boot knife. I did change the vest and used a quilted style fabric to mimic the Jango vest. When I started I wanted to do a ROTJ costume but was not as versed in the Fett costume as I am now. My armor damage mimics one of the ESB prototypes. Once I realized this I Threw some caution to the wind. Anyway all that to say, here are some pics of my gauntlets.

img_1849-jpg img_1943-jpgimg_1872-jpgimg_1881-jpgimg_1964-jpg
    They are not done but almost there. I am having trouble finding a way to actually close them. I have tested hinges and am thinking Velcro but haven't decided yet. These are made of the same 1/8'' PVC bord that I used on the backpack. Found some of the switches at radio shack as well as the Led light. I still need to make some kind of laser for the right hand side. I ended up using bic pens for the darts and they don't look to bad if I do say so myself. I didn't like the soft look of the gloves to I went with some black work glove and added some armor to them. I figured Boba would want something hard on his knuckles for busting heads.
    Jun 27, 2015, 6:20 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #19

Dude!... You are kicking this build in the butt!... So Jealous!
  21. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    4 Weeks Ago - Jun 28, 2015, 3:37 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #20

Impressive, your homemade gauntlets look fantastic!
    4 Weeks Ago - Jun 28, 2015, 11:59 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #21

Bic pens do make good cheap gauntlet darts. I love the gauntlet missile, you did a good job with the cone.
  23. 4 Weeks Ago - Jun 28, 2015, 2:39 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #22

Ya that was a bit tricky. I ended up layering a bunch of pvc together and put it on the end of a drill. Then I spun it against some sand paper. Then add bondo and repeat all the way from 60 to 220 grit paper.
  24. 4 Weeks Ago - Jul 3, 2015, 9:35 AM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #23

Well Its been few days. Figured I better get a post up! Here is some images of my armor. This was the first thing I made. At the time I didn't realize that there were different armor builds, but it came out good anyway.
    img_1842-jpgimg_1857-jpgimg_1853-jpgimg_1856-jpgimg_2049-jpg
    As you can see, my vest is quilted. Felt It gave a more textured look. Since this was the first thing I made I have no progress photos. It is painted with Spray paint. And the decals are airbrushed. I weathered it using toothpaste as a masking liquid and used a rag to scrape the layers of paint away. I then airbrushed dirt and grime. I also used graphite dust. All I need now is some electronics.

I might as well show some other parts.
    Here are my kneepads. The kneepads were another thing I decided to change. I will swap them out some day when I decide to go full 501st but until then I wanted something with more girth.

I bought some cheap roofers kneepads and used them for the base. Also a pic of my codpiece.
    img_1947-jpgimg_1954-jpgimg_1966-jpgimg_1967-jpgimg_1968-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1952-jpg  
  25. 4 Days Ago - Jul 28, 2015, 6:04 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #24

So its been a few weeks and the budget build go steady.

I did a recent calculation and with some fabric I purchased this weekend. I am now up to $172 bucks so far. I have a bunch of photos so this will be split a bit I think. I also finally got my helmet from my brother.

So back to progress. Rocket Pack is almost done. Still nee to assemble the jets and figure out what kind of system im doing to use to mount it on my back but pain is mostly done.
    img_2050-jpgimg_2051-jpgimg_2055-jpgimg_2053-jpg
  26. 4 Days Ago - Jul 28, 2015, 6:11 PM - Re: Brotherly Love for a first time Fett build #25

So from there I built a blaster. Full scratch build from EPVC and PVC pipe and a few paintball odd and ends. I used this video for inspiration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQmh0HShs0Q

I took enough photos for a blaster tutorial if you want a non screen accurate tutorial. LOL. I think the total cost of the blaster was 9 bucks of materials.
    img_1976-jpgimg_2004-jpgimg_2039-jpgimg_2047-jpg
    Still needs some greebles on the stock but for what I have I think it works.