Broken jet pack?!?

From
    Saugerties, New York

Broken jet pack?!?

I was looking around in the gallery, and noticed this. His jet pack's got a huge chunk missing out of it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-jpg  

From
    England

Re: Broken jet pack?!?

She just did it! Cheeky minx.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Yup the sarlacc jetpack was used there not broken but broken, HE DID ESCAPE see....

From
    North Texas

It has always amazed me that they didn't have any other jet pack around to shoot that scene.

From
    Galati, Romania

Mullreel said: View Post
    It has always amazed me that they didn't have any other jet pack around to shoot that scene.
    According to Don Bies, the whole scene (for the ROTJ SE) was a quick idea of George Lucas and Rick McCallum called him (Don was responsible for the LFL Archives) to bring one of the suits that wasn't on tour, and because the ROTJ suit was in Japan(?), he brought the ESB helmet, another ROTJ suit and one of the damaged jetpacks (you read it well: there were at least 2 damaged jetpacks) and he played Boba Fett for the ROTJ SE additional scenes:

You had some parts in the Star Wars movies: Boba Fett and Barquin D’an in the Return of the Jedi Special Edition, some aliens, a Stormtrooper, an Imperial Officer….how did you get to play all these parts (especially Boba Fett and Barquin), and which aliens did you play?

I was the right size...when they were creating the Special Editions, I was still at the archives and was coordinating the costume loans for the shoots. I told the ILM producer I knew where to get an original Bith mask, but jokingly said he have to let me wear it or I wouldn't tell him...he took me up on my offer. While we were shooting the musical scene at Jabba's Palace (shot at ILM, which we referred to as "Jedi Rocks"), George Lucas had the idea to insert Boba into the scene chatting up the dancers. During a break in the filming, Rick McCallum called me over to ask if there were any Boba costumes in the archives for us to use. I said there were, so he told me to go up at lunch and get one, bring it back and wear it for the scene...so I did.
    Source: Star Wars Interviews

I find that to be hilarious. Ever since I became aware of the differences in the various Fetts I have been amazed by how frequently the Special Edition Fett is used in pictures and other such things.

From
    Saugerties, New York

That's pretty funny

From
    Galati, Romania

Here are the 2 ROTJ jetpacks with the big gash:

rotj-stunt-jp-01-jpg rotj-stunt-jp-02-jpg

And the stunt jetpack:

rotj-stunt-jp-03-jpg

Edit
    ------------
    Corrected the stunt jetpack image attachment.
    Last edited by RafalFett; Jan 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM. Reason: Corrected image.

Interesting to note the collar is not attached to hte back plate ... in fact the back plate has no holes drilled to accept the collar ... i guess this is so diving on the deck didn't wreck the thinner collar armour?

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

thats not how the actual suits color and back plate joined there was a hook type connection

I'd be interested to see some more on that. Can you elaborate or are there images somewhere?

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    thats not how the actual suits color and back plate joined there was a hook type connection

From
    Galati, Romania

Although F4R misspelled in a hurry the word collar (=color), he wanted to say that originally the collar and the back plates overlap at the ends (more exactly the collar plate's back end goes on top of the back plate's front end) and are hold together by 4 screws and 4 collar studs as nuts:
    collar-back-plate-attachment-jpg

But in the case of the stunt armor, they did a fast release system with hooks and this is why you see the collar left end free:
    rotj-stunt-collar-attachment-jpg