Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 23, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #1

I used a quilted under shirt that I found at a thrift store. I have not been able to find such an item new, though. Most of them are polyester, too, which is a pain. Eventually, I was able to score a cotton one, though. I removed the sleeves and then dyed it the correct color. You could spray paint a polyester one, I suppose, but you'd never be able to wash it, and I've found that spray-painted fabric tends to remain kind of tacky and gets yucky after a while.
  2. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 23, 2002, 11:46 PM - Boba's Vest #2

What fabric have you guys been using for Boba's vest? I used Vinyl once, but that obviously isn't it.

Please help.

Pics would be nice...as always.
  3. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 23, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #3

Here's a thread that'll get you started on some general fabric ideas:

http://forum.thedentedhelmet.com/vie...ic=268&forum=3
  4. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 23, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #4

ya know...it kind of looks like the gray material on an ironing board. What do you folks think???
  5. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 23, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #5

............anyone................?
  6. Migrate from As You Wish
    May 23, 2002, 11:46 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #6

I guess the one thing I can say about the ironing board material is that I do know of at least one Fett that uses that material. It seems to work well, but it's a bit too rigid for my tastes. Perhaps it comes in different weights?
  7. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #7

Here are some pictures of my first attempt at a padded Boba Fett vest. I started with the Simplicity cheerleading pattern mentioned in another thread. (Sorry I forgot the number.) I modified the back to extend the opening all the way from top to bottom. I modified the short sleeves, and the collar to what you see. The fabric is from JoAnn Fabrics, Casa Satin, color Platinum. And the vest is padded with a 1/8" thick batting, also from JoAnn's.

I am going to be making another vest, to improve on this one, and to make one that will fit me. When I started this one, I made adjustments to the size of the vest across my chest, but not across my shoulders, so I can't get it on.

In my next version I will be fixing the underarm seam, and using invisible thread for the whole vest. However, any other comments or suggestions, will be greatly appriciated, and help me make a better version 2.0.

Thanks,
    Gator
  8. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #8

gator, I think that your on to sdomething here. It looks great to me! :-)

Congrats!

Is the material sniny at all? I know it is satin.
    My first attempt was with vinyl.
    Keep us all posted, and keep up the GREAT work!
  9. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #9

Looking good so far. Don't forget the openings for your jet pack straps

Also, if you really want some more feedback...the neck on your vest should not have a collar on it...the ribbed collar on Fett is actually part of his jumpsuit believe it or not.
  10. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #10

Jedi-Bob -
    Thanks for the encouragement. Satin has a shiny side and a dull side. Per the suggestions on other threads, I turned the satin "inside out", so that the shiny side is towards the batting, and the dull side is exposed on the outside and inside of the vest.

MaxPlague -
    Thanks also. I figured I could cut in the openings for the jet pack straps, once I actually have a jet pack. Thats a couple of months down the road. And yes, thats is the type of feedback I am hoping for. However, if the collar is on the jumpsuit, is the collar the same color and fabric of the jumpsuit, or is the material for the vest just sewn onto the opening of the jumpsuit neck?
  11. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #11

I made my jumpsuit collar out of the same stuff I'm using for the vest.
  12. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #12

AWESOME JOB!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work.

Andy
  13. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #13

phantomfett -
    Thanks for the input.

JangoFett1701 -
    :o You're too flattering.
  14. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #14

Gator...
    Yep, the collar is the same fabric as the vest, but sewn onto the jumpsuit (at least that's the concensus so far).
  15. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #15

I dont know thing one about boba, but that does look stinking cool

Bear
  16. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #16

MaxPlague -
    Unfortunitally for this version of my costume I may be stuck keeping the collar on the vest, unless I can attach it to my somewhat finished jumpsuit. Otherwise I may have to wait untill I redo my jumpsuit, and attach the collar then.

Bear -
    I am honored by the complement, from a great forum member. Thanks.
  17. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #17

When I made my vest I made it out of paper first, then just taped it together to check the size and do any alterations. My collar is almost like a Dikie, it has the neck piece and a small collar portion that sits around my neck and shoulders. I can put the collar on then my vest on over it.
  18. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #18

fettcicle -
    Good idea. I can make my new vest a little larger and without the collar. Make the seperate collar like you suggested. Then sometime in the future, when I redo my jumpsuit, I can always add the collar directly to the jumpsuit at that time.

Thanks,
    Gator
  19. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 22, 2002, 10:23 PM - Merged: Re: Boba Fett Vest - Comments & Suggestions #19

Out of curiosity, does anyone know (and I know SOMEONE around here does) the color differences between the ESB vest and the ROTJ vest? Are they both silver/gray, or some other color?

thanks
  20. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Sep 14, 2002, 3:16 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #20

Anyone have the numbers for the pattern mentioned in this thread? It's about time for me to start on my vest (which I've been dreading, because I have NO sewing skills whatsoever) What was the final concensus on fabric? The platinum casa satin seems to look pretty good from the pics in this thread

And while I'm asking, anyone have measurements for the short sleeves on Boba's vest? Or maybe a modified pattern?
  21. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Sep 15, 2002, 1:43 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #21

The sleeve measurements will be different based on your own arm length.

To find a pattern #, you'll have to venture inside a sewing store and ask one of the workers there to help you. They will fall all over themselves trying to help men. They rarely see them.
    Sep 15, 2002, 8:20 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #22

I saw another man in a sewing store once.......IN A MIRROR! When I walk into a place like that, I look totaly lost, like I thought it was a bar or something and I can't seem to find a bar stool in front one of the measuring tables. Funny, no one asks me if I need help, I think they just like to watch to see what I'll do If you have any trouble with the pattern, you can make a trial one out of paper and just tape it to get a good estimate on size, then alter it as needed before you sew anything.....remember seam allowance
    Sep 15, 2002, 10:02 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #23

The women that work in all of the fabric stores that *I* have been in tend to be very unhelpful and avoid me like the plague. (maybe it's my cologne...)

It's a good thing that when I go to a fabric store, I know what I want, and how much I need.

"overly-helpful" employees rank very highly on my list of pet peeves, just like those baggers at the Publix supermarkets around here that try every way that they can to get you to let them take your groceries to your car, *then* they don't load the groceries right (heavy items stacked on eggs and bread), and then they slam you trunk and wander off!

Where's my blaster?!? :evil

but I digress...
  24. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Sep 16, 2002, 9:59 PM - Re: Boba's Vest #24

Hmm, women at the fabric store being NOT helpful?

You DID remember to take your wedding ring off before you went in, right? *L*

Seriously, you just must not be doing it right. Azeem and I go in every once in a while, and when we need help, I just stand far away from him, and someone always comes running over and fawns all over him trying to get him whatever he needs. Maybe you should try looking more helpless. Or mention loudly that you wish you had a date for next Friday. Even the old women will try to set you up with their daughter.
    Sep 17, 2002, 12:17 AM - Re: Boba's Vest #25

I have to say that the workers at my local Joannes Fabrics are pretty rude too. I wander around helpless and often have to look for someone to help me. What can I say...

I just figure there a bunch of Rebels.