Hey guys, I wanted to share the first few step of my progress with this project. I'm upgrading my current flak vest to one custom tailored to me.
I started out by drafting a body block following this tutorial online: http://www.silivren.com/mbodyblock.pdf
I found it very helpful and easy to understand. Then, the pattern was shortened to the size of the vest and re-drawn after an initial mock-up to resize the neck and arm-holes appropriately.
This is the mock-up of that second draft. I'm happy with most of it. I feel the armhole was overcorrected and is now a bit too big in front, so I'll add a bit to that area to the final. I also plan on adding a total of two inches of garment ease to the side seams to allow for movement. This mock-up is very well fitted but did not account for range of motion. I've also decided to keep the dart in the back, as they help bring the midsection of the vest in and will be hidden by the backplate.
Plenty of room to mount armor.