Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Boba Fett ROTJ SE with RKD armor

From
    New South Wales, Australia

Re: Boba Fett ROTJ SE with RKD armor

Hey there fellow fettheads! Well, I've been stressing about this over the last few days and have had some awesome advice from some truly awesome people! So thanks to RKD ,Deadland, the Phantom and Jayvee. Nice to have some of the best have got my back! All I need now is Rafalfett on board and im set!! Ha ha!
    Anyway, I've done some misting with Humbrol Matt Black (33), and for the first time I saw it coming together! So later today, I started peeling all the masking off.... I was a bit shocked, maybe because I got used to seeing it in one colour and then BOOM! Here's some pics!
    imgp0640-jpgimgp0639-jpgimgp0641-jpgimgp0642-jpgimgp0643-jpgimgp0644-jpgimgp0645-jpgimgp0646-jpgimgp0647-jpg
    I think it needs some light sanding and then some more weathering to dull it down a little bit. But of course, please let me know if see something not right, I would like to get as accurate as I can but not to the point of pulling my hair out. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by hobbit057; May 20, 2012 at 3:22 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    From
    Advertising world

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Now we're talkin bud! Looks fantastic maybe a tad more weathering as you say, but overall some teriffic looking armour. Glad i have been of a little help, but I honestly dont think you need too much help, as judging from the pics, you're fully on top of it. Top stuff brother!

From
    Albuquerque

It's really coming together now!
    I think you're on the right track with the light sanding afterwards too. I'm working on a V2 set for myself and did the same thing and the sanding helped out a bunch. Great work on the misting part too. Keep up the good work bro!

From

Thanks for the nice comments guys! This has been soo nerve wracking! But I have definitely surprised myself! So glad I went with airbrushing and humbrol paints!
    I have done some weathering today and dirtied it up a bit more, will post some pics tonight. Started with the pale coat of yellow on the shoulder bells today, so more masking for that and the back plate! Thanks for looking

From
    NSW Australia

Great stuff. You'll be trooping in no time.

From

Thanks Bill, That's the plan mate! It'll be nice to meet you all at the end of this! Got a long way to go though!
    So I've weathered and sanded very gently, I still need to get more splatter on it! Especially the lower part of the right chest plate. I have just put the next coat on top of the silver on the shoulder bells, Im using Humbrol Pale Yellow (81), that will show around the silver damage. I have decided against airbrushing the decals or emblems, as the the thought of doing it is way too scary now! So I am going to hit up Bobamaker for some weathered decals. It is really hard to see all the detail and colour on this..... I know everybody seems to say the same thing but its true! Here's the pics.
    imgp0648-jpgimgp0649-jpgimgp0652-jpgimgp0651-jpgimgp0650-jpgimgp0657-jpgimgp0656-jpgimgp0655-jpgimgp0653-jpgimgp0658-jpgimgp0659-jpg Here's an example of the pale yellow.... http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/galle...-Britt-088.jpg

From
    Perth, Western Australia

love it mate - that splatter is looking really great! vey, very nice armour

From
    Galati, Romania

Wow! Now that's an excellent paint job! Some of the scratches indeed looks a bit bigger, but the overall image is awesome and with that dark misting you gived the specific ROTJ look. Why don't you try to do the decals yourself?

From

RafalFett said: View Post
    Wow! Now that's an excellent paint job! Some of the scratches indeed looks a bit bigger, but the overall image is awesome and with that dark misting you gived the specific ROTJ look. Why don't you try to do the decals yourself?
    Wow! Thank you so much for the nice words, it really is very special to get these comments from yourself, as I hold you in such high regard Rafa. Total respect, thanks mate!
    I had considered doing the decals but if I make a mess of it....... wait then I just get the decals and stick over the top! Im going to do it!!!!!
    Also Rafa, I was wondering if you could help me to make the oversized marks a little less obvious. I know it will be hard to get 100% but I would like to get it a bit closer! Any help would be great thanks!
    Last edited by hobbit057; May 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM.

From
    Galati, Romania

hobbit057 said: View Post
    I had considered doing the decals but if I make a mess of it....... wait then I just get the decals and stick over the top! Im going to do it!!!!!
    I'm glad you consider doing the decals by hand. Download the ROTJ decals from the ==> All Boba Fett Chest and Shoulder Decals thread, resize it if needed, then use carbon paper to trace the decal to the desired armor part and paint it with a brush. I know you can do it!

Also Rafa, I was wondering if you could help me to make the oversized marks a little less obvious. I know it will be hard to get 100% but I would like to get it a bit closer! Any help would be great thanks!
    I say just leave it as it is, because the oversized scratches are not so big to bother the eyes. You really did a great paint job with the excellent RKD armor!

From

Wow again! Never thought I would have so many awesome comments from so many awesome people! Thanks so much! Really hope the rest of the build is as rewarding as this!
    Didn't get much done today, just doing some masking and starting to prepare for the decals stencils..... but I did manage to get some pics in daylight! Just so you can have a look at the armour in a much better exposure. I hope you all still like it as much!! Ha ha!
    imgp0660-jpgimgp0661-jpgimgp0662-jpgimgp0663-jpgimgp0664-jpg

From
    Galati, Romania

Don't worry, it looks awesome in the hot Australian sun! Just use the same patience in all of your works and it will be top quality.

From
    Northeast U.S.A

I like how you misted the armor here to give it the highlights. It gives the armor a great layer of depth!

Wow again! Never thought I would have so many awesome comments from so many awesome people! Thanks so much! Really hope the rest of the build is as rewarding as this!
    Didn't get much done today, just doing some masking and starting to prepare for the decals stencils..... but I did manage to get some pics in daylight! Just so you can have a look at the armour in a much better exposure. I hope you all still like it as much!! Ha ha!
    imgp0660-jpgimgp0661-jpgimgp0662-jpgimgp0663-jpgimgp0664-jpg

From

clonecollector said: View Post
    I like how you misted the armor here to give it the highlights. It gives the armor a great layer of depth!
    Hey thanks clonecollector! Yeah its amazing looking back at the base green colour, seeing how dull and lifeless it is before all the misting and peeling all the masking back! Going to try some more extreme splatter tomorrow! Another heart in your throat kind of moment!

From

Well this post is a big turnaround from the last bunch of pics as I hit a major low in my build, I got a bit over confident after all the great comments I was flying a bit too high! Firstly, the medallion, I forgot to check my gun before misting and ruined my paintwork, so I have rubbed it down and will start again..... I went ahead with painting the decals and it turned out to be a disaster! I wont go into all the details but needless to say I should have taken the easy way out, and just got the decals! I did put a lot of care into it,but I think I was just a bit inexperienced in something that precise. I made a stencil for the two first layers and thought I would freehand the red lettering. but after the white layer which bled under the stencil! then the red was too thin and ran anyway, I learned!!!!
    imag0756-jpgimag0755-jpgimag0758-jpgimag0759-jpgimag0757-jpg
    So I tidied it up abit before hitting it with the "misty" black matt! At least I know what im doing with the black matt! It looks ok from a foot away!! haha! Should I keep, or cover it?
    After all the disaster I would like to give a special mention to a new friend I have met right here on TDH! You all know him as Jayvee, He has gone above and beyond with the help he has given me and has always made the time to type back to me with all my ridicules questions and scenarios, he's always made the time! He is awesome guy! Its people like him that make me believe in people again. He is also super talented, and has done an incredible job painting an ESB lid, which is **** near flawless! He will soon be doing a ROTJ paint up, so check him out!!!....... All I can say is Jayvee .... What a guy! mate!
    imag0764-jpgimag0760-jpgimag0761-jpgimag0762-jpgimag0763-jpg

From
    Galati, Romania

It's not as bad as I thought it will be as I read the beginning of the above post. Altough the decal indeed looks washed, you can always do some touch-ups with a small brush. Don't loose your confidence in this, you have the talent to do it (patience is the key).

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Firstly, thanks for the kind comments brother! always happy to help anyone who asks my advice, so all too easy my friend :-)

Now with your paint up, like Raf, I thought it may be far worse. With some touchups with a 000 brush, I think its very salvagable, but with your decals on the way, if it all gets a little too much, then you have the easy option of sanding it back, and reapplying a green misted layer carefully before going with the decal. With me, I tend to be really pedantic, so if I couldnt touch up the painted version up enough that I was totally happy, then id reassess, and go with decals. But go with whatever you think looks best brother :-) keep up the great work!

From

Thanks Rafa! I definitely need more patience! I tried to touch it up a little, it doesn't look great up close... but ok from a distance. Not sure how to touch it up now as I've weathered it with misting. I'm just worried about making things worse than it is. I really need more patience.... I really hope I get it before my bobamaker helmet gets here! Because I want to do my absolute best on that! This is becoming a big obsession... hahaha! Maybe I need a break!

Thanks Jayvee! Hey mate I could of said a whole lot more!
    Yeah mate you're spot on and I will try to salvage it but I wont agonize over it, as thankfully I have another option!
    I really love doing this and its great to be learning so much! Stay tuned, I will post my salvage efforts soon!
    Last edited by hobbit057; May 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM.

excellent, thanks for them Colors Map

From

Hey, no worries bojagun! glad I could help!

Taking a break from my build, just to give my eyes a rest and spend some time with my kids as they are starting to forget my face! Hahaha! Will do some updates soon!

From

Hey there good peoples! I cant believe how awesome the people are on this site! It truely is a brotherhood/sisterhood on here! I received a gift from a good friend on here, some decals and an awesome fettronics chest display....and I am blown away! Thanks mate, truly gobsmacked!!
    imgp0679-jpgimgp0676-jpgimgp0673-jpgimgp0675-jpg
    I have done some work and I really need advice on this cause Im not real sure! I have touched up my chest emblem decal thingy and I think it is much better than it was, but not perfect. It looks great from a few feet away!
    imgp0687-jpg
    I have finished most of the painting on my shoulder bells and I am unsure about the colours. I haven't given it a gentle sand yet, so I'm hoping that melds things together and takes a little of the orange misting back a bit. I had a little problem as I masked the silver a couple of weeks ago before laying the first yellow on. I probably left it on a little too long as it is reluctant to come off! So much so, in my haste I picked it past the primer! Luckily its a tiny nick, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to touch up.
    imgp0694-jpgimgp0695-jpg
    Looking at the whole picture on the floor and am starting to feel very chuffed with myself! Never thought I would be this happy with it so far!
    imgp0692-jpgimgp0691-jpgimgp0690-jpg

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Looking fantastic mate - i'm so rapt that chest display worked out, looks awesome. The decals are an interesting one. Tough call, but i'd almost be inclined to leave as is unless you are cringing every time you look at it. From here, it actually looks pretty neat. The thing I really like about your painted decal, is if you look at pics of ROTJ or ESB (like the one I put in this post), the fern on the decal is actually not crisp like the sticker decal I sent, but more like your painted version, with a few of the 'leaves' not uniform. So I think it actually looks really authentic. My personal call - I would leave as is m'man. Lovin your work brother!

rotj-decal-jpg

From
    Perth, Australia

Looking good. I hope mine comes out half as good. I also received my Fettronics this week

From
    Modesto, California

**** that looks awesome man!! It's so tempting not to buy a RKD armor set right now. The fettronics display tops it off so nicely.

From

Thanks guys! You are all way too nice!

Thanks jayvee, you really are too kind my friend! I totally agree about the decal and to be honest I am starting to like mine! Lol! I know it's far from perfect and looks a bit rough up close but stand back a couple of feet and BOOM! It looks ok!
    I think I might have to do some work on my back armor next.....
    Feeling quite confident when my bobamaker helmet gets in that I will do a good job now! But don't worry I'm far from cocky! I am very much the apprentice to all my TDH masters on here!
    The bad news is Daz has broke his foot the poor man, he is struggling on but he is in a wheelchair trying to get his work done. Bless him! I think I'm in for a wait though!
    Last edited by hobbit057; May 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM.