Subscribe
  1. Mar 24, 2013, 3:41 AM - Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #1

Greetings!
    Thought I'd pop my thread cherry with my Boba Fett armour progress

So far I have a few items sourced off here including soft parts from Arkady and helmet from Asok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soft.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	70302

Lately I have been gathering materials and tools for building bits for the rest and am in the
    process of the armour.

What I used for the Boba armour is 5mm acrylic sheets from the hardware store and the process of
    marking it from the templates given here then cutting each shape with a Dremel. I bought 2 sheets
    and is enough for all templates. I tested a small bit of acrylic by heating with a heat gun and twisting, also
    heating one spot and pushing a paintbrush handle into to see if a dent can be made this way and so
    far so good.

Name:	amourstart (1).JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	70303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amourstart (2).JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	70304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amourstart (3).JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	70305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vestarmour (1).JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	70306

After the pieces are cut out I gently heated with the gun and the flat attachment. It was quite an
    easy process as long as you're patient with the heating then gently flexing the acrylic and
    holding the shape while it cools. It behaves well and I can get slight complex bends from it.
    I've just got the torso pieces and shoulder bells as in the last picture linked. I can keep posting
    more as I go with the rest of the armour.
    Last edited by ChrisTheArtist; Jul 19, 2013 at 3:52 AM.
  2. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Mar 24, 2013, 5:10 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #2

looking good , hadn't thought of using acrylic sheet
    Mar 24, 2013, 11:17 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #3

Great work bro, up a video to see when you work with the hot to curve the plates will be great........................and what base do you use to curve???
  4. Mar 24, 2013, 1:46 PM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #4

Quote SNOWAURE said: View Post
    Great work bro, up a video to see when you work with the hot to curve the plates will be great........................and what base do you use to curve???
    Thanks man. I just use my hands to mould it. Heat, bend and hold. I do it in stages... for example, with the shoulder bells I heat up and down the centre then bend and hold the position I like... then heat, bend hold the outer edges. I reheated one side to make adjustments so both match exactly.

I still have a collar, backplate, cod to do so I can take extra pics and break it down if that helps.
    Last edited by ChrisTheArtist; Mar 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM.
    Mar 25, 2013, 12:07 PM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #5

Which hot pistol brand do you have?, I want to nuy one but I dont know about brands, I want some good but not so much high price..........
  6. Mar 25, 2013, 1:44 PM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #6

Quote SNOWAURE said: View Post
    Which hot pistol brand do you have?, I want to nuy one but I dont know about brands, I want some good but not so much high price..........
    The brand of heat gun is a local manufacturer Ozito. I paid $34 for it.
    Apr 3, 2013, 8:28 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #7

Looking forward to checking out the backplate and cod when you get that far. Clever use of material.
    Apr 19, 2013, 1:55 PM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #8

Great job bro!
    can't wait to see the others parts!
    Apr 21, 2013, 11:25 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #9

Nice work Brother, I love the thickness of the material. That’s going to look and feel great when it’s on!
  10. Apr 29, 2013, 4:04 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #10

UPDATE:

Its been a while since I have been working on all different parts simultaneously, but here are two progress pics for my acrylic armour. The same method was used of heating the acrylic, holding the position for a few minutes while it cools.

Backplate

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	70307

codpiece

Name:	IMG_0148.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	70308

So far the pieces are pretty close to where I want them, I will make further adjustments when I attach the armour to the vest, bolt the collar bit to the backplate (which I have made but forgot to include it in the pic) and work out my under the vest harness system. Im thinking of using a cheap dogsled harness...we shall see....but the main thing I want is to make an awesome snug fit before any kind of painting.

Still a lot of work to go. The cod piece needs that extra bit on the front and the two little oblong shapes. Also, I'll be needing to add the damage. Besides that I think its coming along.

Name:	IMG_0149.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	70309
    Last edited by ChrisTheArtist; Aug 3, 2013 at 5:10 AM.
  11. Apr 29, 2013, 4:16 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #11

Quote Syper said: View Post
    Nice work Brother, I love the thickness of the material. That’s going to look and feel great when it’s on!
    Cheers. Yeah, its pretty solid stuff. It might almost work as light armour...
    Apr 29, 2013, 4:44 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #12

Really great job on the back armor, i did the same using PVC , i see you also changed the contour lines to something other than given with the templates.
    I also notice you havent cut out the strap vents yet, the place holes on the templates are too high so you might want to relocate those. This turned out very very well and i'm wondering did you find it as difficult as i did?
  13. Apr 29, 2013, 4:54 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #13

Quote thebeans said: View Post
    Really great job on the back armor, i did the same using PVC , i see you also changed the contour lines to something other than given with the templates.
    I also notice you havent cut out the strap vents yet, the place holes on the templates are too high so you might want to relocate those. This turned out very very well and i'm wondering did you find it as difficult as i did?
    Cheers man. I knew the backplate and cod would be the bigger challenge so I left it til last after I had a bit of practice and feel for the material. I studied the pics very closely and decided to change the lines. Im glad I did. Also the strap vents I'll lower but I'll leave that until my jetpack is closer to being complete and I have the harness done so I can get it just right. Otherwise I found the shaping to be pretty straight forward and took me about an hour to mould it. There will be some more micro moulding adjustments to get the collar fit right. I saw your pvc backplate, looks awesome. I agree with those line changes.
    Last edited by ChrisTheArtist; Apr 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM.
    May 3, 2013, 6:04 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #14

It's going better and better! Can't wait to see next steps.
  15. May 18, 2013, 6:28 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #15

Quote StrumFett said: View Post
    It's going better and better! Can't wait to see next steps.
    My next one will be the cod piece. Just need me some bog (aussie slang for bondo)
    May 18, 2013, 8:44 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #16

Inspirational! I know how to heat/warp abs, I just never thought of doing this. Now I have to try this! Thanks for your postings... Keep it up, I'm interested with how it turns out
  17. rejser is offline rejser
    May 29, 2013, 6:11 AM - Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #17

Use water based paint if you do this though just in case you mess up or slip . least to heat it up to get the chest armor on otherwise you will crack it badly .

lån penge
  18. Aug 3, 2013, 5:09 AM - Re: Boba Armour using acrylic and heat gun. #18

Thanks.