Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Jun 12, 2015, 3:08 PM - The Birth of...MacFett! #1

Greetings Folks!
    As those who have read my introduction and first post are aware I am new here, new to the Fett costume hobby, and beginning a slightly different Fett kit. Specifically a MacFett or Scottish Boba Fett kit.
    Essentially a spot on RotJ kit from the waist up and kilted from the waist down with the following variations:
    • The cape with be a MacDonald Lord of the Isles tartan with a contrasting solid dark blue stripe similar in feel to the ESB cape
    • A custom British tan, aged Kilt belt over the girth belt with the eight ammo pouches
    • Kilt boots (WWII US 1941 garrison boots) w/ olive green spats, kilt hose and flashes.
    • A custom made Wookie faced sporran which roars when opened. (fortunately I’m 80% done with this already)

The last item of that list, the sporran is already well along and will be completed this weekend. This will be the sporran MK I which is just a first stab made with craft fur, Sculpy pieces, and leather. I already have plans to make a better MK II with yak hair once I find a reliable source. So just for laughs here are some pictures of this piece of the kit which started this whole hair brained, idiotic idea….
    001-jpg002-jpg003-jpg004-jpg
    Last edited by EEvansHilton; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:36 AM.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Jun 12, 2015, 3:48 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #2

The wookie face laying over your junk. That oughtta be... interesting.
    Jun 12, 2015, 5:10 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #3

Quote hamsandwich72 said: View Post
    The wookie face laying over your junk. That oughtta be... interesting.
    Haha, that'll be a hit with ladies I bet!
    Jun 12, 2015, 6:05 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #4

Ch- Chewie?
  6. Jun 12, 2015, 6:05 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #5

It'll be even better when I open it to get at my wallet or keys. I ordered a Disney Chewbacca Journal and cannabalized it. Now when I open it, it gives a nice Wookie roar!
  7. Jun 12, 2015, 6:38 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #6

Quote Jesuit24 said: View Post
    Ch- Chewie?
    That was my wife's reaction. She said it was a bit horrific thinking about a member of the families face hanging off of a belt.
  8. Jun 12, 2015, 7:23 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #7

Ha ha awesome...
  9. Jun 14, 2015, 2:49 AM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #8

Ladies and Gents...I give you the Wookie Face Sporran! It roars too!
    image-jpg

The Cry of The Wookie Face Sporran - YouTube
    Last edited by EEvansHilton; Jun 14, 2015 at 2:56 AM.
  10. Jun 19, 2015, 6:45 AM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #9

Well, things are moving along nicely. I have my FettPride FPG2-RotJ lid ordered, a set of RotJ braids ordered from Woodman, an RF servo and light kit on deck from jc27, and a three hole Borden dental connector on order as well. I've dropped hints to the wife that an airbrush kit for my coming Birthday in July wouldn't be amiss either!
    Jun 19, 2015, 1:28 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #10

Quote EEvansHilton said: View Post
    Well, things are moving along nicely. I have my FettPride FPG2-RotJ lid ordered, a set of RotJ braids ordered from Woodman, an RF servo and light kit on deck from jc27, and a three hole Borden dental connector on order as well. I've dropped hints to the wife that an airbrush kit for my coming Birthday in July wouldn't be amiss either!
    what made you choose to switch from the awesomeness that is ESB to ROTJ?

Sent from my R2 unit using Tapatalk
  12. Jun 19, 2015, 2:42 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #11

Quote jbdubz said: View Post
    what made you choose to switch from the awesomeness that is ESB to ROTJ?

Sent from my R2 unit using Tapatalk
    There were a few things actually. First I had to decide which helmet creator I wanted to go with. After much research, emailing and mulling it over I decided to go with Chris from FettPride. When I did I found Rubio95's spectacular reviews with fantastic pictures of the unfinished helmets and I was really taken with the damage that was worked into the RotJ as opposed to the ESB. Then I spent a few days comparing the two total costumes and I simply like the color palate of the RotJ outfit. There's more variety of color and I think it will look nicer with my MacDonald Lord of the Isles tartan kilt. which is largely greens, blues, with flashes of red.
    macdonald-isles-green-ancient-8oz-wool-tartan-swatch_lg-jpg
    There are trade offs of course. For example I am far fonder of the ESB EE-3 rather than the RotJ EE-3. While I like the red color of the RotJ gauntlets, I like all of the different things hanging off of the ESB gauntlets more. It was most certainly a tough choice though.
    Jun 19, 2015, 2:59 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #12

The damage is molded into the ESB lid as well from FP. Not nearly as much was on it as the ROTJ lid. I ordered both just to be safe,
  14. Jun 21, 2015, 8:39 AM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #13

Another little piece showed up in the mail yesterday. My three hole Borden connector. Inch by inch I'm getting there.
    image-jpgimage-jpgimage-jpgimage-jpg
  15. Jul 5, 2015, 11:57 AM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #14

More progress!
    - Ordered a set of RotJ decals (the Goathead and Flight Insignia) from Scott Luck
    - Ordered a set of RotJ Wookie scalps from Woodman
    - Thanks to the advice of some members here I have what I think will be a nice workable solution for sound FX using the 'VoiceSynth' app, my iPhone, a Y splitter and a mic and speaker
    - and I have my soft kit ordered from Carole!!
    As always, thank you guys and gals for your continued assistance, advice, and encouragement!!
  16. Jul 13, 2015, 9:00 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #15

So a bit more progress. I snafued a bit on the sound FX electronics for the helmet and ordered a couple of the wrong parts but I intend to remedy that on Wednesday thanks to the sage advice of Crumdum.

However today I received a vital component! Imported from across the pond I received a large remnant of Macdonald tartan to make the cape!! It will match the kilt of course and I'm going to throw in a deep yellow stripe in the middle I think, for a pattern similar to the ESB cape.
    image-jpg
  17. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Jul 17, 2015, 12:18 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #16

Such an interesting thread, will be following!
  18. Jul 20, 2015, 8:34 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #17

MacFett cape is complete! It's the first piece to actually be finished and ready to go..
    .image-jpg
    Jul 24, 2015, 1:51 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #18

I can't wait to see finished pieces
  20. 4 Weeks Ago - Jul 26, 2015, 7:42 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #19

So more slow and steady progress. As seen in my review thread, I've secured the decals, wookie scalpes, and light kit for the RF.
    image-jpgimage-jpgimage-jpg
    Today, with the help of photos and threads found here on TDH, I whipped out a set of RotJ hip pouches...
    image-jpg
    Now I know the stitching sucks but I really don't sew. That's my good lady wife's department normally. But I wanted to do something on my own and these where easy to figure out in my head...eventually. Plus I have a TON of scrap canvas. So I gave it a shot.

Next up I think I'm going to give the leather ammo cartridge pouches a try. They are going to live on my existing kilt belt for the MacFett kit and will also be used with my future RotJ kit, just like the above hip pouches.
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 26, 2015, 10:21 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #20

I wouldn't get too nit-picky on the stitching; I think it looks fine! I also read your review thread, and plan on making the same purchases as you, so it's great to hear good things about your experiences thus far!
  22. 4 Weeks Ago - Jul 28, 2015, 11:56 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #21

So I've started on my ammo belt cartridge pouches. I've wet formed two of the main bodies and one of the flaps. I used a pattern found here which I altered to suit my desire to go with a leather crafting approach. Should have them all set to go by Sunday so should think. image-jpg
  23. 4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 8:44 PM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #22

All pouches and flaps are pounded out and wet formed. Going to give them time to dry and harden then it's on to the first phase of weathering. That's the fun part!image-jpg
  24. 4 Weeks Ago - Jul 30, 2015, 12:33 AM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #23

Leather dyed, re-weathered, treated, re-re-weathered, and now it will all be left over night to rest and cure. Then tomorrow evening, sewing!!
    image-jpg
  25. 4 Weeks Ago - Jul 31, 2015, 7:14 AM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #24

Little closer...
    image-jpg
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 31, 2015, 9:14 AM - Re: The Birth of...MacFett! #25

That is super inspiring -- to take on a job like the ammo belt. Awesome work!