Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)?  ABS, Fiberglass, or another?Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 16, 2015, 11:52 AM - Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #1

What type of material do you think is best for the armor & gauntlets?
    Which builders make some of the most accurate parts for these?

I used to have ABS gauntlets and PVC foam armor. PVC foam was OK, but I like ABS better all around now. Pretty durable and lightweight.
    The ABS gauntlets were lacking some detail, so I can see why fiberglass would be nice in this instance.

I see there is a lot of fiberglass armor, but I want to know what other Fetts find important.
    Fiberglass is heavier and more easily chipped, but it can pull more physical detailed weathering.

I don't have experience/knowledge of other materials.

Thank you!
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Dec 16, 2015, 12:45 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #2

I have a set of RKD full ABS gauntlet shells and I think they're fantastically detailed. The resin ones would give them more "realism" but I'm 100% fine with full ABS.
  4. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 17, 2015, 1:17 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #3

RKD is the set that I had on my Mandolorian. I liked it quite a lot, but it's physically uncapable of capturing some of the sharper edges (such as where the gauntlet darts attach).

Does anyone else have another recommendation or experience? Specifically with MOW or BobaMaker?
    Dec 18, 2015, 4:05 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #4

I have Bobamaker, ABS, very light and durable, fit perfectly. Held together by Velcro.

MoW heavy, but quality too.
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 18, 2015, 4:08 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #5

Do you mean ABS (not abc)?

Any idea on RS PROPS offering? I don't see any details on their site.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
    Dec 18, 2015, 5:53 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #6

I don't really have anything to compare against but I just got BobaMaker V3 ABS armor and as far as build quality it is really nice. I have resin MOW gauntlets ( his newest version) that I am working on now. I'm sure they are heavier than ABS but don't seem that bad
    Dec 19, 2015, 2:42 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #7

Quote Kilryth said: View Post
    Do you mean ABS (not abc)?

Any idea on RS PROPS offering? I don't see any details on their site.

RS - NO.

They are not punctual, they will say - we will do it for 5 weeks. And will have to wait 7 months as I was waiting for my jetpack, constantly reminding them about the order.

There are lots of reviews that the quality of the RS is awful. They remove negative reviews from page Facebook.

8jhjf_uordw-jpg
    Such it arrived to me.

RS - never again.
  9. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 19, 2015, 1:54 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #8

Quote Uhbif said: View Post
    RS - NO.

They are not punctual, they will say - we will do it for 5 weeks. And will have to wait 7 months as I was waiting for my jetpack, constantly reminding them about the order.

There are lots of reviews that the quality of the RS is awful. They remove negative reviews from page Facebook.

8jhjf_uordw-jpg
    Such it arrived to me.

RS - never again.
    I had a very positive experience with them ordering my TK, but they do get backlogged sometimes and are difficult to get in touch with.

I feel uneasy ordering something without photos or description though :-)

Dec 19, 2015, 3:12 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #9

All of the RS items I have ever had have been top notch. I currently have 3 jet packs from them. Quality is not a problem. They do have wait times..........as does most every prop maker.
    Dec 19, 2015, 8:50 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #10

I like the look of the BM gauntlets with his latest ABS set.
    As far as armor material, go with ABS. The original was ABS, and it will just hold up better than fiberglass. .090 or 3mm ABS is pretty sturdy, and flexible enough that it's forgiving with some flexing whereas the Fibreglass will easily crack on the gelcoat.
    All the major players in that arena ditched the FG years ago.
    Dec 21, 2015, 1:04 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #11

Quote Mullreel said: View Post
    All of the RS items I have ever had have been top notch. I currently have 3 jet packs from them. Quality is not a problem. They do have wait times..........as does most every prop maker.
    When I can, I will replace the Jetpack from RS props, to Bobamaker Jetpack.

13. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 21, 2015, 2:50 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #12

Best Armor: Fettpride
    Best Jetpack: Fettpride
    Best Gauntlets: Fettpride
    Best everything else: Fettpride.

If you want the best, and I mean the best, then Fettpride is your man.
    Dec 21, 2015, 11:08 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #13

Wish it was easier to actually get FettPride stuff given the quality of it.
  15. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 21, 2015, 11:45 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #14

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Best Armor: Fettpride
    Best Jetpack: Fettpride
    Best Gauntlets: Fettpride
    Best everything else: Fettpride.

If you want the best, and I mean the best, then Fettpride is your man.
    I understand he has one of the best reputations here for quality (and his stuff looks awesome), but could you please be more descriptive regarding each piece?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Kilryth; Dec 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM.
    Dec 21, 2015, 12:16 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #15

I would check out RKD's Boltaron material he offers on armor and gauntlets.extremely durable and very well made.
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 27, 2015, 12:39 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #16

Quote 01Hawk said: View Post
    Wish it was easier to actually get FettPride stuff given the quality of it.
    Sometimes you have to wait for the best product. This industry isn't like buying from Amazon.
    Dec 27, 2015, 12:46 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #17

Hardly expect " Amazon" like speed...
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 27, 2015, 12:54 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #18

Hardly expect " Amazon" like speed...
    I don't know about that, when I used to do paint commissions I'd have customers PM me asking for progress a week later, and then sending hateful messages a month later asking where their items were.

Some people go absolutely insane for Fettpride's wait and don't understand the amount of time and effort he puts into his builds, and people have no problem scolding him on this message board here because of it... They also don't have any issue with waiting 4-5 months for a flight suit or 2 months for some Wookiee Braids.

I don't do just Boba Fett, I've also been building screen accurate Stormtrooper outfits for a while too, and I recently got put back on the wait list for another ATA Stormtrooper, 10 months, no complaints. I understand people want their products when they pay for them, but I've never seen a community get so hateful about waits like this board here aimed towards Fettpride. How often do we hear complaints about Dan Laws and his wait times, could be 2 years sometimes although he's been getting quicker about it lately.

Bottom line is that FP gets unfair treatment on this message board, and I don't say this just because he's a friend of mine.
    Dec 27, 2015, 1:09 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #19

All I said was I wish I could get his stuff given the praise it receives here. I waited 6 months for my non painted BM armor after a quote of 8 weeks- I am very familiar with waiting. I would ask once a month about the stuff, get an update, be a bit bummed but overall it didn't affect me cause I didn't need it right away. I get it. I have read his FB posts about his situation on FB and it sounds like he has had a ton going on. I messaged him on Monday for gauntlets- figuring he needs $ to complete his back orders as he states , I want to see what his gauntlets are like , figured I would give them a shot. Haven't heard from him but it is Christmas week so maybe that is it.

Quality doesn't necessarily have to take time just for the sake of taking time. With fan made stuff it can be expected obviously. My simple point was when someone posts " this is the best stuff " it would be nice to expect to be able to reasonably obtain it. So I will settle for my less than accurate stuff for now ..
  21. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 27, 2015, 10:49 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #20

All I said was I wish I could get his stuff given the praise it receives here. I waited 6 months for my non painted BM armor after a quote of 8 weeks- I am very familiar with waiting. I would ask once a month about the stuff, get an update, be a bit bummed but overall it didn't affect me cause I didn't need it right away. I get it. I have read his FB posts about his situation on FB and it sounds like he has had a ton going on. I messaged him on Monday for gauntlets- figuring he needs $ to complete his back orders as he states , I want to see what his gauntlets are like , figured I would give them a shot. Haven't heard from him but it is Christmas week so maybe that is it.

Quality doesn't necessarily have to take time just for the sake of taking time. With fan made stuff it can be expected obviously. My simple point was when someone posts " this is the best stuff " it would be nice to expect to be able to reasonably obtain it. So I will settle for my less than accurate stuff for now ..
    This is exactly how I have became over the years. I will wait if the lead time is accurate, especially if the person has help, or even if they dont take money 6-12 months in advance of starting my project. The concern is not the delay, but the fact that I'm paying a single person that could become disabled, depressed, ill, or far worse.

I would like to know the differences in armor and gauntlets as much as possible, so I know whether the wait (and possibly never receiving it if something terrible happened) is worth the risk of the "investment". Its a valid concern.
    Dec 27, 2015, 11:17 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #21

He makes great gear. Bottom line.
    His wait times have always been very undefined and he either ignores you when you ask for a personal update( 5 in 2.5 years, I don't think that that is unreasonable at all). or sends the "yours is on the worktable" response.
    Then there is the situation where you see a number of folks get their product, when you paid long before them, some I even helped send his way.
    And I guess we could get into the special incentive program where you pay more to expedite your gear, but that didn't reside in his "terms of service" on Facebook. Just something he sent to a few individuals.
    You reap what you sow.
    Dec 27, 2015, 11:24 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #22

I like ABS for chest, back, cod, and backside armour and FG for gaunts, knees etc.
  24. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 27, 2015, 11:29 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #23

Quote syllander said: View Post
    He makes great gear. Bottom line.
    His wait times have always been very undefined and he either ignores you when you ask for a personal update( 5 in 2.5 years, I don't think that that is unreasonable at all). or sends the "yours is on the worktable" response.
    Then there is the situation where you see a number of folks get their product, when you paid long before them, some I even helped send his way.
    And I guess we could get into the special incentive program where you pay more to expedite your gear, but that didn't reside in his "terms of service" on Facebook. Just something he sent to a few individuals.
    You reap what you sow.
    Thank you for providing some detail on service you received. I have RS TK armor, and their responses were about the same. Fortunately they hire help when they need it, to keep wait times down. I wish more vendors did this, or took money at the time its needed.

There's no incentive to complete a project in a particular time frame (or ever) after taking your money, especially with PayPal gift, aside from community reputation.

Its possible they paid extra money.. its also possible they tried to become his friend and kept talking to him about more than "where's my helmet!?". The latter worked well for me for some other costumes, but I won't say vendor names because they really did become friends. :-)
    Dec 27, 2015, 11:40 AM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #24

If your looking for a jetpack, hit up fettseven. It's a good pack, has a FG body, and for the price it can't be beat, and he can paint it for you.
    Dec 27, 2015, 6:55 PM - Re: Best Armor & Gauntlet materials (and makers)? ABS, Fiberglass, or another? #25

I've got RKD armor - he gets my respect for a fast turnaround and quality product

My gaunts are Wicked Beard - full metal so I'm sure they're a bit heavier than your regular gaunt. Still they fit me well and no complaints!
    Last edited by kevnaminute; Dec 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM. Reason: Change text