Subscribe
    Sep 18, 2010, 11:00 PM - Best Armor Attachment?? #1

Ok I'm still new to the forum so please bear with me. I've seen velcro attachments, snap attachments and grommet attachments. Which is the best? At least what is the most popular way?

thanks
    Sep 19, 2010, 2:58 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #2

I am also new to this site. I am not quite ready for this stage of my armor build. I have only just cut out the metal plates and have not bent them yet. But this question is somthing I will need to know soon! So I will follow this Thread with interest.
  3. Member Since
    May 2010
    Sep 19, 2010, 3:28 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #3

nuts and bolts are best as far as im conserned by far
    Sep 19, 2010, 11:14 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #4

and that's with the eyehole grommets punched in the vest correct? I saw that post somewhere here
    Sep 19, 2010, 11:34 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #5

I like snaps, personally.
    Sep 19, 2010, 12:03 PM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #6

Snaps IMO!
    Sep 21, 2010, 8:55 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #7

Quote Madmartigan said: View Post
    I like snaps, personally.
    What type of fastener is that?
  8. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Sep 21, 2010, 8:58 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #8

Like button snaps they attach the same way as a grommet basically crimp onto the vest and glue onto the armor
    Sep 22, 2010, 4:59 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #9

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Like button snaps they attach the same way as a grommet basically crimp onto the vest and glue onto the armor
    Thanks, I get it. In the UK the call them "Press Studs".
    What sort of glue would you use to attach them to Aluminium?
  10. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Sep 22, 2010, 7:21 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #10

JB weld? Dont know if they have that there?
    Oct 3, 2010, 3:24 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #11

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    JB weld? Dont know if they have that there?
    Thanks, I found JB weld is avilable on the internet. I was wondering if you knew much about bending aluminium plate? I am considering the best way to bend Jango style shoulder plates, I have cut from 2mm aluminium. It was suggested that I try bend them over a plant pot but I am not shore that will give me a nice even curve. Can you help?
    Oct 3, 2010, 3:35 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #12

I'm sure there's a brand equivalent of JB weld somewhere in the UK. No need to order something that common online.
    Oct 3, 2010, 5:09 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #13

Does anyone Know any brand equivalents of JB weld that is easily available in the UK?
    Oct 3, 2010, 8:02 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #14

I used iposon 38 to secure the bolts to my armour, you will get it at Halfords.
    Oct 3, 2010, 9:51 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #15

Daz bolt is way to go. He's got a tutor thread on here somewhere on here. He is in the uk so what ever he used u should be able to get. Sure u could used the same to sucure your snaps. But bolts is by far the best. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/a...light=daz+bolt
    Good luck and best
    David
    Last edited by dlzx9r; Oct 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
  16. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Oct 3, 2010, 3:01 PM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #16

I used 2part epoxy to attach the press stud male to the armour and fitted the female to my vest. I also find that also using Velcro in addition to the studs provides for a very positive attachment.
    Oct 4, 2010, 9:23 PM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #17

How do people feel about Velcro? It seems to be a fairly simple and somewhat reliable method for armor attachment, but I am not speaking from any experience. Since no one here has mentioned it (other than berkal, and he is using it in conjunction with snaps), I'm guessing such is not the case?
    Oct 4, 2010, 9:46 PM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #18

I have use Velcro for 5 years. I like it, keeps the armor nice and tight to the vest. The down side is having to sew all the Velcro to the vest. It takes a while and if you mess up you have to pull the stitches. But the good thing is if you mess up you can do it again, if you mess up with grommet youíre stuck with a hole.
    On that note, I have never tried the grommet or the buttons so as for performance I canít say. Iím getting a new vest soon and ill go back to the Velcro. Thatís just my 2 cents.
    Oct 5, 2010, 10:17 PM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #19

Quote dlzx9r said: View Post
    Daz bolt is way to go. He's got a tutor thread on here somewhere on here. He is in the uk so what ever he used u should be able to get. Sure u could used the same to sucure your snaps. But bolts is by far the best. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/a...light=daz+bolt
    Good luck and best
    David

Yep. Bolts all the way.
    Oct 5, 2010, 10:46 PM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #20

I hear velcro can get annoying when you move because as the fibers detach when you bend they make noise. I've also seen adhesive backed velcro "melt" after trooping in the hot sun and leave sticky adheasive in a large ring around the strip (this was on a vinyl vest for a custom mando though). I personally use snaps because it seems reliable and quicker and easier than bolts. My vest is still yet to be trooped in though, so we'll see.
  21. Oct 5, 2010, 11:31 PM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #21

I use nuts and bolts, and have had zero problems with quite a few troops under my belt with the Fettman
    Oct 6, 2010, 7:33 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #22

Nuts and bolts!... get the nuts that are closed and not open like regular ones. (sorry don;t know what they're colled) They won't scratch and tear the flight suit. Also use grommets in the vest. Look at BooBoo Fett's and Bobamaker's tutorials on here. That's what I went by.
    Oct 6, 2010, 11:17 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #23

Quote apolifka said: View Post
    I hear velcro can get annoying when you move because as the fibers detach when you bend they make noise. I've also seen adhesive backed velcro "melt" after trooping in the hot sun and leave sticky adheasive in a large ring around the strip (this was on a vinyl vest for a custom mando though). I personally use snaps because it seems reliable and quicker and easier than bolts. My vest is still yet to be trooped in though, so we'll see.
    Never had any of those problems. And bending over is not something I would or could do. As for the glue melting off if you just use the sticky backed Velcro then yeah I can see how you would have a problem. But if you use Goop glue or something to that effect you shouldn’t have that problem.
    Nov 29, 2010, 3:05 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #24

I am planning to use these 15mm Sew-on Snap Fasteners to attach my armor plates.
    I am going to glue the part with the flat back to the plates and sew the other half to the vest.
    I am thinking that if I sew a fastener in the wrong place on the vest it will be easy to move without leaving a large hole in the vest.

Dec 9, 2010, 4:34 AM - Re: Best Armor Attachment?? #25

Using the same snaps as Revan (in conjunction with a bit of velcro) and have to say these work really well